GPU Overheating while gaming?

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I was in the middle of playing Need for speed most wanted... like hardcore for an hour or more, and it all of a sudden with no warning crashed to the desktop. So I immediately opened up Everest and looked at my temps.. the GPU was at 56-57 celcius (135 F). Do you think thats why it crashed? I havent messed with this computer in soo long... but I think I have one of those Arctic Cooler things on my x800pro with that silver thermal compound (Dont remember what its called) so why would it be overheating? Anything I can do? Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Put a fan next to your open computer and try again.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2006
    Done playing for tonight... the game crashed right in the middle of like a 10 minute chase, so it would be hard to build that heat up again :p

Could there just be a bunch of dust in there blocking that GPU cooler fan?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Check the dust in all you PC fans, and make sure it has proper ventilation. Just give it a good cleaning :) also put your hand on the back side of your PC while it is running and tell us if it is blowing hot air.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    No it wouldn't be hard.

Go download 3DMark and a program called rthdribl. Put them both into windowed mode and loop them for a few hours.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2006
    haha I guess that was a pun... I didn't mean that heat, I meant the heat like intensity in the game that I had :tongue:

I guess I should try to open this rig up during the Christmas break and give it a good cleaning.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    If you run 3DMark like Thrax said in a loop, it will push your GPU further than your game did....