christmas present laptop wont connect to network

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
Hey i just got a bran new laptop for christmas its really nice. I currently have a wireless network here of 2 computers the desktop and the old laptop........ so i was gonna add my new laptop to the network...... when i searched for wireless networks........... it found my network so i clicked connect and typed in the password, it connected and showed full green bars but it said limited or no connectivity..... and it wouldnt actually gain connection. I tried everything and i cant get it. i even had the computer put the network settings on a flash drive and put it in the lap top, no luck. So then im thinking ill just make a whole new network. so i went down to my desktop computer, i poped the lynsys router disc in, and realized my drives do not work :-/ ive uninstalled my drives (dvd, and cd) and they reinstalled, no luck........ it sounds like they dont even spin the discs. so now im stuck, and i dont know what to do...... can anyone please help me???

thanks alot

Comments

• TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Also it says the reason that it has limited or no connectivity is because the network did not assign a network address to the computer ........

if that helps
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Well i got it to work, so nevermind

i took my computer apart and tried slave/master on both the cd and dvd drives (i tried like every combination) and it didnt work

so i took out my dvd burner and put the original POS dvd reader in and its the only drive that works on the computer so my internet is working now..................................................................................

but does this mean my other 2 drives are broke? the dvd burner isnt even like half a year old (lite-on). yet both of them just stopped working and the old dvd drive works, i think the drives are broke somehow.........?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Well i got it to work, so nevermind
    i took my computer apart and tried slave/master on both the cd and dvd drives (i tried like every combination) and it didnt work
    so i took out my dvd burner and put the original POS dvd reader in and its the only drive that works on the computer so my internet is working now
    but does this mean my other 2 drives are broke? the dvd burner isnt even like half a year old (lite-on). yet both of them just stopped working and the old dvd drive works, i think the drives are broke somehow.........?

It's unlikely that both of your optical drives are broken. The issue will likely be a common-denominator kinda thing.

The problem is likely a configuration (jumper and/or BIOS) configuration or cable problem. Less Likely: Could be one bad drive dragging down the 2nd. Could be an issue w/ the IDE channel not allowing a 2nd device.

Set both drives to CS (cable select) and connect and test them one at a time. (Connect to the connector at the e-n-d of the cable - not the middle. This prevents signal "ringing". IOW, don't leave the end connector dangling.)

Try w/ CS jumper configuration first. If the drive doesn't work w/ CS, try Master, then slave respectively to see if it will work w/ any of the three jumper settings. (Again, only one optical drive connected on the cable at this point.)

See if both drives will work independent of one another and note which jumper settings each will work with. After you've determined that they do (if they do) work independent of one another, go ahead and connect the 2nd optical drive on the IDE cable (if using CS, b-o-t-h drives must be set to CS). If they both work now, you're in business. If they don't, there's a cable problem or a BIOS configuration problem or an IDE channel problem.

Let's see how this goes first off.