Wierd behavior regarding monitor or video card

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited December 2006 in Hardware
For some reason, on my Mom's computer, the monitor behaves as if it is changing resolutions but isn't. It'll go black, click like it does when it changes resolutions, but doesn't and then goes back to normal. It seems to do it primarily when a new window pops up, changing between windows, or something changes (such as a button on the taskbar flashing)

Before, with the GeForce 4 MX440, it would behave like it was changing resolutions when logging out and going to the user screen, but now it does it all the time with this new FX5500. Does it have anything to do with drivers? The drivers installed now are the Forceware 84.66 (what came with the CD), but I don't know what was installed previously. I am downloading the 93.71's right now.

I do have the monitor's information file installed (A KDS XF-7s 17" True Flat monitor), maybe that is the cause. The VIA Hyperion drivers are installed, but I just recently installed them, and it was doing this before I installed them and after I installed the FX5500.

Could it because the power supply is going out? The PSU is a 300W Antec TruePower with 15A on the 12V line.

Also of note, her computer is still running on the KX7-333R, and not as important, she was able to render a file she did for AutoCad (in 12 minutes), whereas with the MX440, the whole computer would freeze.

--EDIT--
I removed the ICC profile in the monitor properties to see if it was causing the problems, or more specifically, I "updated" the drivers to use the Windows Plug And Play driver.

--EDIT 2--
It seem that the KDS Monitor driver was what was causing the problem, as it no longer occurs. It was occurring as much as twice in one minute.

--EDIT 3--
Ok, it has done it once (just about a minute ago), since I am uninstalled the KDS monitor driver, so it is something doing it, I just don't know what. Also, it seems the eVGA website claims that the video card requires a min of a 250W PSU with 18A on the 12V line, the Antec 300W PSU only has 15A on the 12V (as stated before)

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Its still doing it, but not that often. Any clue as to what it could be?