Best Media to Use

PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi ya'll

I backup my DVD movies and squirl away the original as the originals tend to grow legs 'round here. They don't get stolen, they just get stuffed into places one would never think to find them.

The other DVD players in the house will work w/ DVD+R, however, my personal TV has a built in DVD player that will work w/ only DVD-R (it isn't compatible w/ DVD+R).

My DVD burners are (on the two systems that I burn DVDs on):
Sony DW-Q120A
BenQ DD DW1620

I'm not much of a media or audio-phyle so I need some advice. What would be the best media to use that would be compatible on the DVD-R and DVD+R players (brand, etc.) I assume it would need to be DVD-R for compatibility on both systems, yes?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:type: Pterocarpous [a.k.a. Fruitwing]

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    DVD-R is the gold standard for archival purposes; it most closely resembles factory-stamped DVDs at the physical layer, while to many older players, +R is a "Close, but not quite" gamble.

Use Imation or Memorex discs at 1x or 2x burn rates if you're in a great need of longevity.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    DVD-R is the gold standard for archival purposes; it most closely resembles factory-stamped DVDs at the physical layer, while to many older players, +R is a "Close, but not quite" gamble.

Use Imation or Memorex discs at 1x or 2x burn rates if you're in a great need of longevity.

Thankyou, Thrax. Do I need a special media &/or player to backup "DVD9" as opposed to "DVD5"?