nForce 570SLI vs 590SLI

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Which do you think is better? The 570SLI is a single chip config, PCIE 16x/8x and the 590SLI is a dual chip PCIE 16x/16x. I've heard that the 570SLI boards are faster than the 590SLI, but does that matter since the PCIE 16x slots are connected to the 190SPP and the rest of the system is connected to the MCP590SLI chip (which then goes throught the 190SPP to the CPU)?

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Seriously, can anyone answer this question as to which SLI chipset is better?
  • edited December 2006
    Danball, I take it that you are referring to AMD AM2 based boards with these chipsets?

I just had to buy a new mobo for my Opty system since my old Epox mobo bit the dust and I went with an inexpensive Biostar NF4 SLI based board. But as for AM2, I can't help you. There is nothing that AMD has put out or will put out that really interests me for the AM2 platform. C2D just eclipses present AM2 offerings so badly it's just not going that route if I'm migrating a rig to DDR2. If you are planning to go SLI in the future though, I think the 590 chipset does give a little (but not much) better performance at times in SLI.
    edited December 2006
    I did see in a review that the EPoX MF570SLI AM2 board was able to beat a few 590SLI boards in tests. The review links are available from EPoX's product page for the motherboard.

I was looking at the EPoX AF590SLI, and noticed that a brand new BIOS is out for it, released Christmas Day, that adds support for the 65nm AMD CPUs.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Every AM2 motherboard has 65nm support now.
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, but how are you supposed to know if it supports the 65nm CPUs?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Go to the manufacturer's webpage and look at the BIOS releases.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I've heard that the 570SLI boards are faster than the 590SLI, but does that matter since the PCIE 16x slots are connected to the 190SPP and the rest of the system is connected to the MCP590SLI chip (which then goes throught the 190SPP to the CPU)?

Where did you hear this?
    edited December 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Where did you hear this?

Take a look at this review:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_nforce590_comparison/default.asp

The comparison tests start at page 7
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I didn't read in depth much but I would assume that the overhead of the extras on the 590 cause it to be slower in the slightest. However, the scores are so close it shouldn't be of any concern. They were so close that the comparison is inconclusive.
    That may be an older review you may want to look for a follow-up. Just an opinion.
    edited December 2006
    The latest review I've seen for the EPoX MF570 SLI is dated Dec 5, 2006. All the reviews for the board are fairly positive.
    edited December 2006
    Note that some BIOS updates refer to "Support AMD .65nm /G CPU".

I asked EPoX Taiwan about the BIOS update for the 65nm CPU's (for the MF570 SLI), and I like their fast reply. By the appearance of the title in the reply, this update is for a stepping of a new CPU, and they state that the BIOS is not ready for release. I didn't ask EPoX USA because they probably wouldn't know.

The title of the reply e-mail is "MF570SLI_CPU_G5240_AM2 65nm CPU_W".

I sent the e-mail question at around 11P-12A Central, they replied at about 3AM Central Time.