edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
how do you all manage your files?

i currently have a pretty weird setup

C: & D: are on a seagate ide 80gb

H: & G: are on a 120gb seagate sata drive

E: & L: are also on a 120gb seagate sata drive

C: = 35GB - for os and program files
D: = 39GB - data, pics and also recovery files
H: = 62GB - music production drive (audio files and samples)
G: = 49GB - media (vids, emulators and stuff)
E: = 110GB - torrent downloads, music, game images
L: = 2GB - pagefile and temp directory

I rounded up the gb for each drive so as not to get into decimals

I also have a 320gb Western Digital My Book premium external hard drive which is almost entirely films and tv series

does anybody here run their OS and program files from different partitions and is it worth it?

My computer is organized exactly how i want it. I'm quite fussy about it almost to the point of obsession.

I'm just curious to see how everyone else manages their stuff

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I used to use over a half dozen partitions to organize my files, but I realize I was very inaccurate in my estimations of size requirements. now, I have one partition for my SWAP file at the head of the drive, one for windows, and one large one for everything else. Everything else is organized by folder.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2006
    15 gig primary for OS and apps, 175gigs for games, and 1.6TB for everything else, but the 1.6TB has about 8 root directories, everything is under those
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2006
    so armo

when you say you have 175 gb for games

you install your games on that drive, away from your OS?

if so how's that working out?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2006
    it sometimes keeps me from haaving to reinstall games on my machine when i reinstall windows. i also keep my My Documents directory on the D: in case i reforemat my computer i dont want to loose any of that
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    I keep all my stuff segregated, too. Programs and OS on one small partition. In the old '9x days I used to separate the OS and program files onto separate partitions, too. I don't bother doing that anymore since the apps and OS are so entangled, it really serves no purpose to place them on separate partitions.

A-l-l of my data resides on other partitions. Downloads, saved apps, etc. on duplicate external drives. Other data on a separate partition on the primary or secondary HDD, depending upon the system. HDD images on still another (separate) internal HDD.

This is invaluable to me as I run multi-boot systems. Segregating the data like this from the OS partition enables me to be able to use the same data for each OS (on a given system). This is also very useful as I image my drives frequently. If I need to restore an image for any reason, I don't have to go through the trouble of fereting out all the data 1st then integrating it into the restored build. I even separate out my desktop, favorites, bookmarks, etc. onto the data partition. This way they're available to me no matter what OS I'm in and they're current even if I've had to restore to an earlier HDD image.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    One drive fits all for me! I used to have a dozen like Thrax, but I just want to be lazy now.