Toshiba A15-S127

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi there. I've had my Toshiba Sattelite A15-S127 Laptop for 3 and a half years, I guess. About two years after I bought it I began to have problems with the cooling system. The fan made a terrible grinding sound which did not go away, and eventually an error message appeared warning of overheating. I took my laptop to an authorized Toshiba Service shop, and they said the fan was just dirty. They charged me $100 to clean it. A year ago, the same thing began to happen. I took it back to same place, and they charged me more this time because they cleaned it and put a drop of some lubricant on the fan. I think the total was $170. Two weeks after that, the noise came back.
I've continued to open the fan and use compressed air to clean it, but that does very little now.

I would like to replace the fan and am unexperienced in this area. I have located the Toshiba part for my laptop. The fan I found is somewhat expensive, and I have little faith in their fans at this point, so I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a different fan. If so, how do I measure my fan? Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    You're limited to Toshiba fans. Most laptop fans don't make it two years; that's actually pretty good.