edited January 2007 in Hardware
MOBO:
MSI K9N4 Ultra-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4800IAA6CS

Video Card:
eVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

CPU cooler:
GIGABYTE GH-PDU21-SC Ball CPU Cooler

CASE:
Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

POWER:
Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

Sound Card:
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

Other less important things...:

Speakers:
Creative G500 310 Watts RMS 5.1 GigaWorks ProGamer Speaker System

DVD-drive:
SAMSUNG 18X DVD�R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBN

Moniter:
Acer AL1706Ab Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor

My main concern is that of the processor and its cooling... I have no clue how that works after doing a few hours of research online... Is there a separate device (from the usual fan at the back cooling) that is directly touching (with thermal paste, arctic silver 5) the processor and is that the cpu cooler that I have listed above? If anyone could help me out with that I would greatly appreciate that.

The second thing is just my general overall concern before I buy the parts in the new year... Is everything compatible? Are there issues that I am not aware of?

Thank you!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Are you dead set on AMD? Intel chips are up to 30% faster right now. Would you be adverse to seeing if an Intel system (That's faster/newer) can be assembled for your budget?

To answer your question: Yes, you selected a CPU cooler properly. Yes, your parts will work together.
  • edited December 2006
    Well, so far all Ive heard is that AMD is faster!?! I know I looked at a site that compared the dual cores of AMD vs Intel... but if I am mistaken that would be good... I am looking to spend under 2000 USD for my new comp + speakers + good LCD moniter so.... Its not a total "budget" pc but I do have some realistic limits I feel... But if you could give me a complete intel spec that would be great to compare with!

Assuming I have all the parts with me... It would only take me a day to put it all together right? (assuming no problems)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    justsuby wrote:
    Well, so far all Ive heard is that AMD is faster!?! I know I looked at a site that compared the dual cores of AMD vs Intel... but if I am mistaken that would be good... I am looking to spend under 2000 USD for my new comp + speakers + good LCD moniter so.... Its not a total "budget" pc but I do have some realistic limits I feel... But if you could give me a complete intel spec that would be great to compare with!

Assuming I have all the parts with me... It would only take me a day to put it all together right? (assuming no problems)

Correction ...AMD was faster. Not anymore.
    Thrax is correct and I'm sure he can recommend a good core2duo system for your budget.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    justsuby wrote:

AMD was faster from 2004 right up until July of this year. In the world of desktops, Intel blows AMD away right now. I'm at work right now, but I'll be back later this afternoon with an Intel computer that will blow the doors off the one you pieced together. :D

Computers, assuming no problems, should take an afternoon or evening to build, yep.
  • edited December 2006
    Wow! Thank you! That sounds great and I look forward to hearing about a possible Intel setup... and if you could teach me some stuff about cpu cooling along the way that would be awesome!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited December 2006
    I concur about AMD vs Intel. For now, intel with their C2D blows AMD out of the water.

My wife has everything from early Intel to the latest and early AMD to the (almost) latest, including Opteron. Since all her comps do is fold, i can vouch for her E6600. It's a ripper. :thumbsup:

Edit: just came across this in my favourites. Might give you more of an idea on procs. Just quoted the top 20 out of 129.
    whirpool wrote:
    Use this to determine how fast your CPU is compared to others on the list.

Note: Rated from fastest to slowest. Single vs Dual Core chips compared with exclusion of:
    - Xeons
    - Opterons
    - Semprons
    - Yonahs
    - Pentium Ms
    - Core Duo

001. Extreme Core 2 Duo X6800
    002. Core 2 Duo 6700 Conroe
    003. Core 2 Duo 6600 Conroe
    004. Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor
    005. Core 2 Duo 6400 Allendale
    006. Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo
    007. Core 2 Duo 6300 Allendale
    008. Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego
    009. Athlon 64 FX-55 Clawhammer/San Diego
    010. Athlon 64 X2 4800+ "Dual Core"
    011. Athlon 64 X2 4600+ "Dual Core"
    012. Athlon 64 X2 4400+ "Dual Core"
    013. Athlon 64 X2 4200+ "Dual Core"
    014. Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Dual Core"
    015. Intel Pentium Extreme Edition "EE" 955 3.46GHz "Dual-Core"
    016. Intel Pentium Extreme Edition "EE" 840 3.2GHz "Dual-Core"
    017. Pentium D 840 3.2GHz "Dual Core"
    018. Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Dual Core"
    019. Pentium D 830 3.0GHz "Dual Core"
    020. Athlon 64 4200+ San Diego

Jon :ausflag:
  • tommie-jtommie-j im here...i'd like to be there(see web site)
    edited January 2007
    everyone is right,intel took the crown back with the conroe core. AMD's on die memory controler was a great idea you have to admit. . but i guess intel wasnt sitting around with there thumbs you know where.i noticed you opted for a lightscribe burner .im really into making cool labels for my optical media. the monochrome lightscribe let me down:skeptic: so i picked up a cheap epson stylus 200 printer and some silver mat finish printable cd's and im colorful media heaven. just my thoughts ,advice, etc..
    tommie j