CONFUSED!!! need help.

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
okay... *takes deep breath* I got a new graphics card, a 7600GT PCI-E card and it works like a dream, got a DVD for christmas and tried to play it...No sound. Did a bit of rummaging around and found the WDM video capture drivers got a code 10 (the service can't start). Found the fix fron nVIDIA and it's go in the BIOS and "assign IRQ to VGA". looked in BIOS, it's not there. Did more research and found that I can change this outside the BIOS, looked in device manager, card properties, resources and there's a tickbox that should let me change the IRQ channels as the reason they're not working is there are conflicting channels...THE BOX IS GREYED OUT! I need all of you brainboxes to help!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Having no sound wouldn't be an issue related to your video card.

Do you get sound in other programs?
    What program are you using to play the DVD?
    You don't need a capture driver for the 7600.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    only thing that doesn't work is the dvd sound, I use WMP (nothing wrong with it, using it to play music as we speak) and i've had this problem since I got rid of my 6200SE so I can almost safely say it's the GFX card and in device manager there's an exclamation mark over the video capture driver thingy
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    hmmm.. so the only sound problems you have are DVD related ay? try running windows update and see if your sound card has its latest drivers..and u say the sound worked fine prior to changing graphics card?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I would also check your Graphic Drivers, if your system is showing yellow ! on it...
    edited December 2006
    Yea was fine, and I have integrated sound =/ using Realtek AC'97 sound thingy, and in device manager there isn't a category just for sounds, it's sound video and game controllers, the "nVIDIA WDM Video Capture (universal) has a ! over it. Here's what my system information says, and you can see IRQ 16, 17 and 20 ar being fought over
    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT OK
    IRQ 16 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 17 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 17 PCI SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP OK
    IRQ 18 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK
    IRQ 19 SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet Device OK
    IRQ 20 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 20 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 21 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller OK
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    I agree w/ Thrax. A sound issue related to your video CCA (circuit card assembly) is odd. Unless it's reminiscent of the old days and you're into a conflict problem. I haven't seen this in ages, though.

At any rate:
    The Sound, Video, and Game Controllers group is located towards the bottom in Device Manager. You should find your sound there (look for Realtek if you don't see AC97).

Something else you might want to try if others' suggestions don't work is:
    Remove all expansion CCAs (circuit card assembiles) except the new video CCA of course. Boot w/ the new video CCA installed (allowing it to take its preferred IRQ if indeed the issue is an IRQ one). See if the exclamation mark goes away in Device Manager. If it doesn't, trouble-shoot the problem until you get that resolved. Once that's resolved, see if your sound works now.
    (BTW, you might want to try a different DVD, too, to be sure)

If it does, t-h-e-n one-by-one add the CCAs you'd removed previously. With each added CCA, check Device Manager for issues and - if there are none - see if you still get your sound. If you find that it all works fine until you install a particular CCA, see if you can change t-h-a-t CCAs IRQ since you're unable to do so w/ the video CCA. (or you can try installing it to a different slot).
    edited December 2006
    I have tried to play a DVD before (bench warmers) after the card change, the sound still didn't work. And i'm not sure what CCAs are, i'm not...how to put it...technologically apt when it comes to changing PC parts, I didn't assemble my own PC :P. And if CCAs are what I think they are all I have in the PCI slots is my 7600GT and a network card that I never managed to figure out :P Would it be possible/better to discuss this using MSN to avoid the long delays between replys.
    edited December 2006
    Harudath wrote:
    I have tried to play a DVD before (bench warmers) after the card change, the sound still didn't work. And i'm not sure what CCAs are, i'm not...how to put it...technologically apt when it comes to changing PC parts, I didn't assemble my own PC :P. And if CCAs are what I think they are all I have in the PCI slots is my 7600GT and a network card that I never managed to figure out :P Would it be possible/better to discuss this using MSN to avoid the long delays between replys.

Sorry about the confusion re: terminology. I come from a segment of the tech industry where CCA is used to describe a "circuit card assembly". (Very) old habit. You'll also hear (w/ respect to personal computers) CCAs referred to as "expansion cards" or "adapter cards". These are the circuit cards installed to the slots that run horizontal to the floor on your computer's mother (main) board. These cards are used to "expand" the functionlity of your computer. (e.g. sound, network, modem, video, etc)
    edited December 2006
    I don't really use my PCI slots :S so all I need to do is take out my crappy ethernet card thingy?
    edited December 2006
    Harudath wrote:
    I don't really use my PCI slots :S so all I need to do is take out my crappy ethernet card thingy?

Yes, that'll do for this phase of the trouble-shooting process.
    edited December 2006
    But the IRQs it's clashing with aren't devices using PCI slots, or CCA cards :P So not to be rude but I can't see how that helps :S
    edited December 2006
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT OK
    IRQ 16 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    edited December 2006
    Harudath wrote:
    But the IRQs it's clashing with aren't devices using PCI slots, or CCA cards :P So not to be rude but I can't see how that helps :S
    Your point about the IRQs is a good one, however, this is just a good trouble-shooting technique/tool. It isn't necessarily to address IRQ issues though that is one purpose it can serve. In fact, I'm not conviced yours is an IRQ issue as they are very rare anymore. Devices can clash for other reasons as well or otherwise adversely affect a computer's or one anothers' performance. When trouble-shooting a difficult or perplexing problem, a good way to approach it is to take a step back - eliminate as many variables as possible - and proceed systematically from there.

Our suggestions are just that, suggestions. Keep in mind, though that in most of our cases they are based on years of experience. Having said that, we may each have a different idea re: how to approach your problem. The world of computers and electronics is constantly changing and we all can learn from one another. Try to keep an open mind and you may be surprised at the results.
    edited December 2006
    Yes, the world of PCs often surprises you and I will try that, but now i'm off to a friend's for new-year so i'll try that in 2007 :) And thanks all for your help and patience :)
    edited December 2006
    Harudath wrote:
    Yes, the world of PCs often surprises you and I will try that, but now i'm off to a friend's for new-year so i'll try that in 2007 :) And thanks all for your help and patience :)

You are most welcome, Harudath. Have fun and be safe. Happy New Year!
    edited January 2007
    Is there any way to change the IRQ order without using the BIOS?