GA-7VAXP Ultra and sata!

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hello there!
After searching google i ended up on this forum without getting my question answered!
I have gigabyte GA-7VAXP ultra motherboard with old IDE connection. Yesterday i bought new SATA western Digital 160GB HD.
The problem is when i connect it to the motherboard my computer simply stops.
Any ideas?

I've disconnected old IDE and it still hangs, but when i connect it (IDE) and when i try to enter windows it's damn slow. It's impossible to use computer that way.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Hello Confique. Welcome to Short-Media.

You may have a BIOS configuration issue. Where is your OS partition? on the IDE drive or on the SATA drive?

What OS are you running?

Did you install a new SATA controller card for the new HDD at the same time?

Are there any other HDDs installed other than the new SATA HDD and the one IDE drive you mentioned?

Gigabyte's support for your motherboard:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1391

Please, give us as much info. as possible - letting us know exactly what your process has been and the symptoms you experienced as you went along so that we may best help you.
  • edited December 2006
    hello Pterocarpous!

1) OS is on IDE, i still didn't figure out how to boot it from new SATA.

Somehow i've suggested to start computer with new sata HD. I've run partition magic 8.05 from DOS and with few more partition programs. Every program says "problem with I/O, can't write do disk"

But right now i'm writing from another computer and on another motherboard it works. HD is not a problem! BIOS/motherboard is....

the right link to support is [ url=h ttp://w w w.gigabyte. com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1595]GA-7VAXP Ultra[/url] and not GA-7VAXP as you wrote.
    I have newest BIOS, F7.

I've also notice that while loading bios SATA controller "silicon image sata" tries to detect SATA HD's. That controller sometimes find HD sometimes it doesn't. If doesn't find i can enter windows on IDE if find it it makes computer amazingly slow!

should i download newest silicon sata controller? I'm not sure how that will help!
    edited December 2006
    Hi Confique
    Sorry 'bout the wrong link. My attention to detail must be flagging...
    ---
    That's what I'd do. See if you can get hold of the latest firmware update for your SATA controller. You've proven that the drive is fine so now you're down to the controller and your motherboard's BIOS.
    --
    My experience w/ Gigabyte (on my own computers) starts and ends w/ a Gigabyte motherboard I installed in one of them about a year ago. It'll be the last Gigabyte I ever buy. I've had a no. of on-board problems w/ this board plus a compatibility issue w/ a Promise SATA controller, BTW. It wouldn't work on the Gigabyte mobo w/ a Promise IDE controller also installed. In the end, I had to remove the SATA controller and replace it w/ a combo SATA/IDE controller.
  • edited December 2006
    honestly i don't know to update my SATA controler :(
    All I know it's version 4.1.36C, i've searched google and this forum without any success :(
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    The easiest way is to go to the manufacturer's product page for the SATA Controller, and look for firmware updates. There will be a program included with the firmware, and the instructions that the program has (if any), should be fairly through.

There's also probably some sort of option in the BIOS to boot from a PCI card. I'm downloading the manual now to look at it.

What PCI to SATA controller card did you install?

Also, did you install the drivers that came with it?

Looking at the manual, try going to the Advanced BIOS features and setting the option "RAID/SCSI Boot Order" to SCSI,RAID
  • edited December 2006
    ohhh sorry but i never said it's PCI to SATA! plug-ins are in motherboard but uses software from silicon image PCI 2 SATA.
    That's why i said i don't know to update it!
    edited December 2006
    Ahhh! Sorry 'bout that.

In that case, you'll need to check w/ the motherboard manufacturer for BIOS updates. I wouldn't concern myself w/ checking for driver updates at this point as the system hangs before the drivers even have a chance to get loaded.

You'll need to check your BIOS configuration as well where it concerns your SATA & IDE ports and boot order/priority.

Do you know how to do all this? Let us know.