Anyone using CoolIt?

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I'm just wondering if anyone has put one of these to use yet. If the Eliminator pans out to be any good I might get one this summer. A complete Tec unit that outperforms watercooling at $199? Magnificent.

http://www.coolitsystems.com/

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Chris, I've done the tec thing in the past and while fun to do, it isn't an efficient way to cool a processor. And I am dubious of their claims of quiet cooling too. Say your Opty is kicking out 150 watts of thermal load for instance (and running overclocked like you are it might be even higher). So this tec cooling system will have to be able to handle that heat load, plus the heat load of the tecs used in this system of theirs. I don't see how their system will deal with all that heat load effectively. Hell, it looks like it only uses a 92mm fan for the radiator on it. I know that when I messed around with tec cooling, I was using a P3 1.26 server chip and a 120 watt tec. I figure that with the overclock I had on that P3 it was running around 75-90 watts heat load, plus the 120 watts of heat load the tec was dumping into the cooling system, my radiator was having to dump close to 200 watts of heat load. And that Dtek radiator was able to handle it and my water temps stayed around 100 degrees or so (from what I remember). And idle temps ran about -30 C and loaded temps were around -5 C. So I don't know how that little radiator assembly this thing uses can cope with all the extra heat load a modern processor will dump into the system.

In other words, I'm calling bull**** on this. Looking at their website, they show no closeup pictures of the actual radiator part of their cooling solution.:bs: :bs:

If you want to play around with some tec action Chris, I can fix you up. I still have the tec psu and a 172 watt tec unit, plus my old Maze1C tec block if you want to play. All you would have to do is to make a mounting adapter to mount the little bugger on a socket 939 board. If you are really interested in this, you will still need your cooling loop in your computer to dump all the waste heat, plus you will have to do some insulating around the socket and the waterblock and mount.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Dayem ...that thickens the electric bill quite a bit for a tad more overclock.

I want to see a good review of the Elimiator though. That's why I lean towards this one. I trust what you are saying but I'm hoping that they have some solution at low wattage to dump heat thru the rear 120 exhaust. And if the Eliminator is comparable to a decent wc setup then they might be onto something. From what I've read the noisy 90mm fan can be replaced for a quieter 120.

I think l'll pass on the Tec offer Jim but thanks anyway. After what you've said I realize just how inefficient that doggon process can be. Let's just keep an eye on the Eliminator for now. Heck maybe you and/or I or Short Media could review it. I don't think it's been done but I'll keep on hunting.

Happy New Year!

Edit:/ the Eliminator is supposedly low power and does not use a peltier ...unlike the freezone.
  • Trash80Trash80 Calgary, AB
    edited January 2007
    A friend of mine works there, why don't you just ask them any questions. I was looking to build my own chiller but this is a lot easier. Oh, and this isn't designed to run below freezing, muddokter, before you call something out you should at least read up on it. It's basically a chilled watercooling setup. So it is around 10C cooler than your standard watercooling setup. If you get 28C with a DangerDen setup (idle) - it will lower you to 18 -19C.
    Reviews:
    http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119&Itemid=74

Oh, these guys also build all the water chillers for VooDoo, Voodoo just rebadges them.
    edited January 2007
    Well I must say I'm impressed so far. I read late last week that Dell is contracting with CoolIt for some system cooling for a certain flavor of it's line.
  • edited January 2007
    Trash80 wrote:
    A friend of mine works there, why don't you just ask them any questions. I was looking to build my own chiller but this is a lot easier. Oh, and this isn't designed to run below freezing, muddokter, before you call something out you should at least read up on it. It's basically a chilled watercooling setup. So it is around 10C cooler than your standard watercooling setup. If you get 28C with a DangerDen setup (idle) - it will lower you to 18 -19C.
    Reviews:
    http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119&Itemid=74

Oh, these guys also build all the water chillers for VooDoo, Voodoo just rebadges them.

Did I say anything about it being designed to run at freezing temps? No I didn't. And I did read [H]ardOCP's review of it and it actually surprised me with the performance they saw with it. But it is still an inefficient way to cool a processor as a tec is an inefficient device and it will dump extra heatload into your room because the system not only has to dump the processor's heat load but also the heat load generated by the tecs used on the cooler.

Trash80, since your buddy works for them, ask him how much power do their tec's draw and how does the unit get it's power? Does it have it's own power brick or does it pull power from the computer's psu? Because if it draws any significant amount of power from the psu that could very well make you have to buy a bigger psu than you would normally need. If your bud won't tell you how much the tec's draw, then ask him how much current draw does their cooling solution draw from the psu in watts?
    edited January 2007
    That's why I tend to favor the Eliminator.