boot up with default settings but...

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi

I have a weird problem, i have a computer that was working find then it crashed i rebooted but nothing happened so i cleared the cmos and tried again it posted to the screen. Now if i go into bios and do anything ( even if i just go in and save it) the computer wont post to screen but if i just load defaults it will boot. i need to be able to change the bios to set clock and stuff so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nook6

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hey nook6. Welcome to Short-Media. Sorry it took so long for you to get a response. (Holiday and all...)

If Thrax's suggestion doesn't work, see if you can get the latest BIOS update and flash the system BIOS. Sounds like you likely know how to do this but if not, just let us know...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Try being very thorough in the BIOS clear:

1. Pull the battery.
    2. Set the jumper.
    3. Pull the PC's power.
    4. Wait an hour.
    5. Reverse your steps.
    6. Boot the PC holding the INSERT key until you see a POST screen.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi sorry for the slow response but i have had problems with my internet

I tried what you said Thrax but still exactly the same the bios has been flashed with the latest version but still nothing. any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Nook6
    edited January 2007
    nook6 wrote:
    Hi sorry for the slow response but i have had problems with my internet

I tried what you said Thrax but still exactly the same the bios has been flashed with the latest version but still nothing. any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Nook6

I may be barking up the wrong tree but it sounds as though your BIOS firmware or hardware has failed.

Thrax????
  • edited January 2007
    Hi All

how can i fix my bios firmware or hardware though (can it even be fixed).

Nook6
    edited January 2007
    nook6 wrote:
    Hi All

how can i fix my bios firmware or hardware though (can it even be fixed).

Nook6

How are you at "circuit card" or "board" repair? Do you know how to solder properly? If not, I don't recommend you try replacing your BIOS. If you don't know what you're doing, you can really make a mess of things when soldering on sensitive electronic circuit cards. I'm trained in micro-miniature board repair - down to multi-lay circuitry using a microscope - and I can tell you it takes a lot of practice and a certain level of expertise (not to mention the right equipment) to do the job right. (IMHO)

Other home soldering iron jockies may disagree w/ me, though.... :tongue2:
  • edited January 2007
    Hi

Thanks for your help then but i think i will leave it well alone and buy a new mobo ( but also on the other hand if its a matter of soldering another bios chip on the board i do have the tools to do it so what can i lose the mobo doesnt work anyway??)

Nook6
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2007
    Most motherboards since at least 2002 have featured socketed BIOS's. If you can get your hands on a chip puller, you can order a new BIOS chip after you tell them your situation and what motherboard you own by going to a particular website.

That particular website: http://www.unicore.com/
    edited January 2007
    nook6 wrote:
    Hi

Thanks for your help then but i think i will leave it well alone and buy a new mobo ( but also on the other hand if its a matter of soldering another bios chip on the board i do have the tools to do it so what can i lose the mobo doesnt work anyway??)

Nook6

Good point! :)
    edited January 2007
    Most motherboards since at least 2002 have featured socketed BIOS's. If you can get your hands on a chip puller, you can order a new BIOS chip after you tell them your situation and what motherboard you own by going to a particular website.

That particular website: http://www.unicore.com/

Boy! Am I dating myself! That's great if they're socketed now-a-days. Then it's just a matter of (carefully) replacing the chip. You may be able to salvage your motherboard afterall nook6... :)

Now my curiosity is piqued. I'm gonna have to take a look at my own motherboards and see.....
  • edited January 2007
    Hi

See now my mind is working what about if i had a similar mobo that wasnt working would it be possible to take the chip off that one and put it on the one im talking about ( if you get what i mean.).

Nook6
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    nook6 wrote:
    Hi

See now my mind is working what about if i had a similar mobo that wasnt working would it be possible to take the chip off that one and put it on the one im talking about ( if you get what i mean.).

Nook6
    Your logic is sound. If you have identical boards, then theoretically, you should be able to swap chips between the two. Although I have spoken with others that have done this successfully before, I have not performed this feat, mostly due to the fact that some motherboards (the ones I work with for the most part) are basically a commodity, being that they are so cheap. Although there are quite a few pc recyclers around here to justify my being so quick to dispose of the parts.
    edited January 2007
    I do have to say that there is a guide to installing a BIOS chip on that website, and the motherboard they use appears to be from the 486 days. (I see a bunch of ISA slots on the motherboard used in the pdf guide.

I do know that the Asus M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI boards have socketed BIOS chips, and so do all of the EPoX boards available at this time.

Here are a few attachments of some boards:
  • edited January 2007
    yes this is the thing im not sure if its worth the bother as its only a cheap pcchips mobo im suprised it has lasted as long as it has (although it isnt old old) its the pcchips m848alu v2.1 (not sure if the version number is correct).

Nook6
    edited January 2007
    ......some motherboards (the ones I work with for the most part) are basically a commidity...

What's a "commidity"? :scratch:
    edited January 2007
    nook6 wrote:
    yes this is the thing I'm not sure if its worth the bother as its only a cheap pcchips mobo I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has (although it isn't old old) its the pcchips m848alu v2.1 (not sure if the version number is correct).

Nook6

Your motherboard has a saudered on BIOS chip. Honestly, why would anyone want a PCChips motherboard? They used to put fake chips, just the empty shells with the pins saudered on their boards in the late 80's and early 90's (see here: Redhill mainboard index)

I believe he meant commodity
    edited January 2007
    Your motherboard has a soldered on BIOS chip. Honestly, why would anyone want a PCChips motherboard? They used to put fake chips, just the empty shells with the pins saudered on their boards in the late 80's and early 90's
    Good grief!
    ...I believe he meant commodity...
    Oh! Thanx danball :bigggrin:
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    Cleaned it up for you captain obvious. :ninja:

Thanks for clearing that up danball1976
    edited January 2007
    Your motherboard has a saudered on BIOS chip....
    And it's a "flat pack" (leads don't go through the board rather they ride attop runs on the board's surface). You'd think that'd make replacing it easier and, in terms of removing it, it can. Soldering a new surface mounted IC onto the board can be very tricky, however.
    edited January 2007