Problem with Computer Related to Video Card - it appears

gabrielwonggabrielwong A places that no one live XD
edited January 2007 in Hardware
hi, i have a porblem in my computer,

I have 2 card, one is Inno3D FX5500 and the other one is Inno3D FX5600 Ultra which my friend gave me and it works....

Spec of my computer :
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
MB: ASUS A7S8X-MX
Ram: One KingMax 512mb 400 and One Samsung 512mb 400
HD: Hitichi 80G
Mon: Philips 19"

Which i use FX5500 normally, FX5600 is my friend gave after the things happened.

Everything works well until last week, when i start the computer, when loading to the window account and it hand, and then i wait it a while and start the computer, still can use it but when i watch movie, the whole screen black and didn't restart for me again, and then i also wait a while, i start again my computer, i see the desktop icon turns black and some on the system tray's icon gone invisible.... Then i called my friend to give me his FX5600 Ultra because he just obtained a new card which is ATI 1650 Pro because he wants to play Rainbow Six:Vega.

Ok everythings fine and i install the card to see... When it finish loading the window and start to load account, the mon crashed and many colours put out and i couldn't see the window anymore then i restart the computer, same things...

So, how can i solve this porblem? thanks!

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    ...I have 2 card, one is Inno3D FX5500 and the other one is Inno3D FX5600 Ultra which my friend gave me and it works....
    Spec of my computer :
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    MB: ASUS A7S8X-MX
    Ram: One KingMax 512mb 400 and One Samsung 512mb 400
    HD: Hitichi 80G
    Mon: Philips 19"
    Which i use FX5500 normally, FX5600 is my friend gave after the things happened. Everything works well until last week, when i start the computer, when loading to the window account and it hand, and then i wait it a while and start the computer, still can use it but when i watch movie, the whole screen black and didn't restart for me again, and then i also wait a while, i start again my computer, i see the desktop icon turns black and some on the system tray's icon gone invisible.... Then i called my friend to give me his FX5600 Ultra because he just obtained a new card which is ATI 1650 Pro because he wants to play Rainbow Six:Vega. Ok everythings fine and i install the card to see... When it finish loading the window and start to load account, the mon crashed and many colours put out and i couldn't see the window anymore then i restart the computer, same things...
    Hello Gabrielwong,
    I want to make sure I understand your symptoms correctly. Let us get clear (understand one another) on that first, ok?

Are the following statements correct?

With the FX550 video adapter installed:
    When you first turn on (start) your computer, the computer hangs up (stops) before booting into your account/profile. You then have to restart the computer. Eventually (after some time passes) it will boot into your account/profile. The display seems to be ok after that until you try to watch a movie. When you try to watch a movie the screen goes black.

With the FX5600 Ultra video adapter installed:
    You can boot into your account but the display is faulty (many colours). Rebooting does not solve the problem.

Is the monitor a CRT monitor (cathode ray tube) or LCD (flat screen) monitor?
    Are you able to connect this monitor to another desktop or laptop computer?
    If so, does the problem follow the monitor?
    Or is the display ok when you connect the monitor to a different computer?
    If the problem appears on a different computer as well, then the problem is with your monitor.
    If the problem does not appear when connected to a different computer, then the problem is with your computer - possibly related to the video adapter.

If the monitor is ok when connected to a different computer...
    Did you uninstall the drivers for the FX550 before shutting down your computer and replacing the FX5500 with the FX5600 Ultra?
    Did you install the manufacturer's drivers and software for the FX5600 Ultra?
    How does Device Manager identify the FX5600 Video controller?
    Do you see any issues reported in Device Manager (exclamation marks or yellow)?
    Are you experiencing any other problems with your computer that may not appear to be related to the video problem?
  • gabrielwonggabrielwong A places that no one live XD
    edited January 2007
    Are the following statements correct?

With the FX550 video adapter installed:
    When you first turn on (start) your computer, the computer hangs up (stops) before booting into your account/profile. You then have to restart the computer. Eventually (after some time passes) it will boot into your account/profile. The display seems to be ok after that until you try to watch a movie. When you try to watch a movie the screen goes black.

With the FX5600 Ultra video adapter installed:
    You can boot into your account but the display is faulty (many colours). Rebooting does not solve the problem.

---->Correct!

Is the monitor a CRT monitor (cathode ray tube) or LCD (flat screen) monitor?
    Are you able to connect this monitor to another desktop or laptop computer?
    If so, does the problem follow the monitor? (It is A LCD Monitor and i can able to connect to another desktop computer.)

If so, does the problem follow the monitor?(No)

Did you uninstall the drivers for the FX550 before shutting down your computer and replacing the FX5500 with the FX5600 Ultra?(Yes)

Did you install the manufacturer's drivers and software for the FX5600 Ultra?(Yes, i download the driver in www.nvidia.com)

How does Device Manager identify the FX5600 Video controller?
    Do you see any issues reported in Device Manager (exclamation marks or yellow)?
    (I cannot see it cause it turns to faulty (many colours) but i still see clearly in the Bios when not loaded to the window.

Are you experiencing any other problems with your computer that may not appear to be related to the video problem?(Nope, everythings fine!)
    edited January 2007
    Because the problem is less severe w/ the original video adapter, I recommend your re-install it (remove the "Ultra" version)

Once you have done this... Can you boot into the desktop (user account / profile) now? Can you see the desktop ok or do you still see a lot of colours on the screen?

Since you are having problems with both video adapters, please, run a test on your system memory.

You can download a diagnostic called MEMTEST86 at http://www.memtest.org (If you need help making bootable media (floppy or CD) w/ this diag, let us know) Let the test run for at least an hour - longer preferably. (to thoroughly exercise the memory)

Let us know what happens, ok?
    edited January 2007
    ya, while i reinstall the window using the FX5600 and as you know the window installing screen's background is in blue, right? and then some area turns black and some have a strange symbol on it.... i dunno what is it, i will try to use the memtest86+ thanks!
    edited January 2007
    ya, while i reinstall the window using the FX5600 and as you know the window installing screen it is in blue, right? and then some area turns black and some have a strange symbol on it.... i dunno what is it, i will try to use the memtest86+ thanks!

Definitely run the memory test. Let it run over nite if you can. Come back and let us know what the result was, ok?

Were you able to successfully complete the Windows re-installation?
    If not, how far did you get?
    Did you have to abort the installation?
    edited January 2007
    ok rgr! wait me ten minutes
    edited January 2007
    ok rgr! wait me ten minutes

You will need more than 10 minutes for the memory test. Please, let the memory test run overnite if possible in order to thoroughly exercise the memory.
    edited January 2007
    rgr
    i have downloaded the iso and putted into a blank CD RW, but why it didn't load, i have set the first boot device is cd-rom?
    edited January 2007
    rgr
    i have downloaded the iso and putted into a blank CD RW, but why it didn't load, i have set the first boot device is cd-rom?

Did you create a bootable CD with the ISO image file or did you just burn the ISO image file itself to the CD?

You must use a utility that can take the ISO image file and create a bootable CD with it.

Hold on while I find a link to a site where you can download a free aplication that can do this for you.
    edited January 2007
    Ok, here it is. This is a very handy (useful) little application that can take an ISO image file and create a bootable CD with it for you.

You can find it here. It is called BURNCDCC.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html
    edited January 2007
    finally i fix the screen using contact cleaner(No more many colours) but the porblem is here, sometimes it flash once and back to normal, sometimes even hang......

ok, i will try to upload the picture of the memory test later...
    edited January 2007
    finally i fix the screen using contact cleaner(No more many colours) but the porblem is here, sometimes it flash once and back to normal, sometimes even hang......ok, i will try to upload the picture of the memory test later...

Did you clean contacts on the video adapter or the monitor or its cable?

Do you have access to "canned air"? This is compressed air in a can. We are able to purchase it here in many electronics stores. If you can get that, blow compressed air into your video adapter slot, etc. (Use it to go ahead and clean out the inside of your computer and your monitor's vents, too.)
    edited January 2007
    Hi, this is the first time cleaned the VGA Card using Contact Cleaner, and i run the Memtest.... the screen like this... also got some black hole and crazy words on it, but i run the second time, these things gone...

Crazy!!!:
    P1090158.jpg

Restart and the result after 9 hrs:
    P1090159.jpg

But i see 0 error in the memory test...
    edited January 2007
    Hi, this is the first time cleaned the VGA Card using Contact Cleaner, and i run the Memtest.... the screen like this... also got some black hole and crazy words on it, but i run the second time, these things gone......

Wow! This is a wierd one. :scratch: Thank you very much for the pictures gabrielwong. They are very helpful.

This is not an issue w/ your video adapter's device drivers or your operating system. They don't even come into play at this point. This is definetly a hardware or firmware issue.

You say there was some improvement when you cleaned the contacts on your video adapter.
    How did you go about cleaning them? (What tools, implements and/or solvents did you use?)

Note: You may need a flash light (torch) and/or magnifying glass for the next three tasks.

Since you saw improvement after cleaning the video adapter's contacts, the slot that the video adapter plugs into on your motherboard may be dirty as well.
    Look very closely inside the slot where your video adapter plugs into your motherboard.
    Is there dirt or dust inside or are there any foreign objects in the slot? (If you can, use pressurised "canned" air or (v-e-r-y carefully) compressed air (if you have access to a compressor) to blow into the slot and clean out any dust, etc. This would be a good time to clean out the rest of your computer as well. Clean dirt and dust off of all fans, heat sinks, etc.)

What condition is the video cable in (the cable that runs from your monitor to your computer)?
    Take a close look at the pins on the cable's connector(s).
    If the cable is not hard-wired to the monitor (does not have a connector on it where it goes into the monitor), check the pins on the connector on that end as well.
    Is the cable worn or bent?
    Are there any exposed wires or shielding?
    Are there any punctures or cuts in the cable?
    Are any pins missing or bent?
    (If you answered "YES" to any of the four preceeding questions, replace the cable.)

Look very closely at your video adapter's connector (the connector that the video cable plugs into).
    Are there any pins broken off inside any of the plugs that comprise the connector?

Assuming there are no broken pins anywhere, try a different monitor on this computer if possible.
    edited January 2007
    This is not an issue w/ your video adapter's device drivers or your operating system. They don't even come into play at this point. This is definetly a hardware or firmware issue.

You say there was some improvement when you cleaned the contacts on your video adapter.
    How did you go about cleaning them? (What tools, implements and/or solvents did you use?)

Note: You may need a flash light (torch) and/or magnifying glass for the next three tasks.

Since you saw improvement after cleaning the video adapter's contacts, the slot that the video adapter plugs into on your motherboard may be dirty as well.
    Look very closely inside the slot where your video adapter plugs into your motherboard.
    Is there dirt or dust inside or are there any foreign objects in the slot? (If you can, use pressurised "canned" air or (v-e-r-y carefully) compressed air (if you have access to a compressor) to blow into the slot and clean out any dust, etc. This would be a good time to clean out the rest of your computer as well. Clean dirt and dust off of all fans, heat sinks, etc.)(Well, em.... i thought that it have improvement but some hour passed, the porblem still...)

What condition is the video cable in (the cable that runs from your monitor to your computer)?
    If the cable is not hard-wired to the monitor (does not have a connector on it where it goes into the monitor), check the pins on the connector on that end as well.
    Is the cable worn or bent?
    Are there any exposed wires or shielding?
    Are there any punctures or cuts in the cable?
    Are any pins missing or bent?
    (If you answered "YES" to any of the four preceeding questions, replace the cable.)(I am using onboard Display, so i think no porblem.)

Look very closely at your video adapter's connector (the connector that the video cable plugs into).
    Are there any pins broken off inside any of the plugs that comprise the connector?

Assuming there are no broken pins anywhere, try a different monitor on this computer if possible.
    edited January 2007
    (Well, em.... i thought that it have improvement but some hour passed, the porblem still...)
    Ok. So you did not see any improvement after cleaning the contacts, correct?

(1) What condition is the video cable in (the cable that runs from your monitor to your computer)?

(2) Is the cable worn or bent?

(3) Are there any exposed wires or shielding?

(4) Are there any punctures or cuts in the cable?

(5) Are any pins missing or bent?

Look very closely at your video adapter's connector (the connector that the video cable plugs into on your computer).

(6) Are there any pins broken off inside any of the plugs that comprise the connector?

If you answered "YES" to any of the four preceeding questions, replace the cable.
    (I am using onboard Display, so i think no porblem.)

You still are using a video cable to connect your monitor to your computer. Please, carefully inspect your video cable (see the preceeding questions) and the plug where the video cable plugs into your computer. :nudge:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    As per Fruitwing's kind request:

Let me get this situation right before I move to make any diagnosis..
    • Gabriel, you are using onboard video, correct?
    • The PC makes those black boxes randomly, correct? The PC will go for long periods of time without the boxes, then the boxes will stay for a while, then go away again?
    • The PC does or does not do this when you have another video card installed that is not onboard?
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    As per Fruitwing's kind request:

Let me get this situation right before I move to make any diagnosis..
    • Gabriel, you are using onboard video, correct?
    • The PC makes those black boxes randomly, correct? The PC will go for long periods of time without the boxes, then the boxes will stay for a while, then go away again?
    • The PC does or does not do this when you have another video card installed that is not onboard?

Thankyou Thrax! Gee you're swell! :smiles:

The way I've understood it (I may be w-a-y off) is the problem happens right away (so, I wasn't taking into account a possible heat-related problem.).

His mention in his last post of using onboard video was new to me. Originally, I understood we were dealing w/ two video expansion cards (one an upgrade of the other). He switched to the "Ultra" version in an attempt to correct the issues w/ the original card. The problem worsened significantly when he installed the "Ultra" version (multiple colors all over the monitor display).

At some point since then he has switched to the onboard video.
    edited January 2007
    yup, you are correct Pterocarpous,

actually, the case is that, the computer were assembled 2 years ago and it is very healthy using FX5500, but few weeks ago, when i use my computer, the computer hang sometimes,black screen etc...., and then i ask my friend he have FX5600 Ultra for me to see it is the card porblem and i gave my FX5500 to test, it is ok, no porblem at all.

After that i plug the "Ultra" into my computer, it also hang and many colours and hang etc.... so, i try to reinstall the computer and the case same as i mention on post #14,so i thought that it is the contact porblem of the card, so, i use contact cleaner to clean again, no improvement.....
    edited January 2007
    yup, you are correct Pterocarpous,

actually, the case is that, the computer were assembled 2 years ago and it is very healthy using FX5500, but few weeks ago, when i use my computer, the computer hang sometimes,black screen etc...., and then i ask my friend he have FX5600 Ultra for me to see it is the card porblem and i gave my FX5500 to test, it is ok, no porblem at all.

After that i plug the "Ultra" into my computer, it also hang and many colours and hang etc.... so, i try to reinstall the computer and the case same as i mention on post #14,so i thought that it is the contact porblem of the card, so, i use contact cleaner to clean again, no improvement.....
    Thankyou for that information, gabrielwong. Any information you can provide could be helpful towards determining your problem.

Still there are questions that have been asked of you that you have not answered. P-l-e-a-s-e read post # 17 again and answer e-v-e-r-y question there. We need you to answer a-l-l questions we ask you in order to be able to help you.

If your video cable and video connectors on your monitor and on your computer look ok (after you have closely inspected them) then you may have, as Thrax suggested in post # 18, a power supply problem.

The best way to rule out the power supply (PSU) is to replace it with a known good or new one.
    edited January 2007
    Ok. So you did not see any improvement after cleaning the contacts, correct?

(1) What condition is the video cable in (the cable that runs from your monitor to your computer)?

(2) Is the cable worn or bent?

(3) Are there any exposed wires or shielding?

(4) Are there any punctures or cuts in the cable?

(5) Are any pins missing or bent?

Look very closely at your video adapter's connector (the connector that the video cable plugs into on your computer).

(6) Are there any pins broken off inside any of the plugs that comprise the connector?

If you answered "YES" to any of the four preceeding questions, replace the cable.

You still are using a video cable to connect your monitor to your computer. Please, carefully inspect your video cable (see the preceeding questions) and the plug where the video cable plugs into your computer. :nudge:

1. The pin are fully secured by the 2 screw.

2. The LCD monitor's cable doen't bent nor worn because i just brought it last 3 weeks.

3.Shielding

4. no Punches nor cuts.

5.Nope everythings well!

6. nope, no pins were bent and so... healthy
    edited January 2007
    1. The pin are fully secured by the 2 screw.
    2. The LCD monitor's cable doen't bent nor worn because i just brought it last 3 weeks.
    3.Shielding
    4. no Punches nor cuts.
    5.Nope everythings well!
    6. nope, no pins were bent and so... healthy

Thankyou gabrielwong. Good job answering the questions! :thumbsup:
    Please, go here for an explanation of what I meant by "shielding" in post # 17.

I would next choose to check your power supply. However, you included in your last post what might be an important clue.

You said that your video cable is only 3 weeks old...
    Please, answer the following questions.
    1. WHY was the cable replaced?
    2. WHAT was the problem that lead you to replace your video cable?