Moving HDD from old MOBO to new MOBO

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hello,

I was following the instructions on a page for moving a HDD to a new motherboard and I think I may have goofed somewhere along the line. My situation is that I have 2 computers, one is an older Dell that has worked good for the past 5-6 yrs. I decided to update and purchase and build a newer computer. I didn't purchase a HDD as my plan was to "simply" drop my 80GB HDD from the old computer into the new computer.

In the process, the first error I encountered was a loop starting with the bootup process and the furthest I reached was a Windows screen prompting me to choose, Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode w/ Comm. Prompt or the other available configurations.

In the process I think I may have did the wrong steps and now I fear my HDD is unrecoverable. I proceeded with steps for "Repair Install to SET XP to New Motherboard " instead of "Setting XP to new hardware". Basically the option 1 steps involved performing a Repair Install.

I went through the Option 1 steps and in the restarting of the computer the system went to the screen, "Load Bootable Disk into Floppy A" (<--- I'm unsure if those are the exact words but that is the main point. Black Screen, White Lettering).

I can't get past this screen, I've tried the Install utility again but now the HDD is not even capable of being analyzed. It picks up the HDD but it basically can't read the partition. I have a smaller 10GB drive available so I went ahead and set XP up on that for the new computer and tried setting the 80GB HDD to be a slave to the other. This way I could pull my data and just format it and be done with it. The BIOS recognizes the 80GB HDD and the Device Manager does too, but a drive letter is not being assigned to it in XP Explorer for me to access it. The disk management is not showing the drive in addition.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
James

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Do you have important data on that drive?
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Do you have important data on that drive?

The short answer would be no...otherwise I just have some various stuff of personal significance. Few financial documents, pictures, music, etc.
    edited January 2007
    Well if you have backups of that personal stuff or you just don't care if you lose it then just do a fresh install of windows. Be sure to delete the partition and format when promted. All that jazz.
    If you want to continue to try with a repair installation then you could either wait for someone like Thrax to help you out. Meantime he has an article on such a subject. If you like I can post the link for you.
  • edited January 2007
    If you can post the link to the article that would be great.
  • edited January 2007
    Happy New Yrs to you also if you are approaching '07 as I will be in a few minutes.
    edited January 2007
    Happy New Year to you too!

Here is the link and it is called "Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands" by Thrax.
  • edited January 2007
    Well, it would seem my situation just took a turn for the worse. I got on to do some more tinkering with the settings and the 80GB HDD began the clicking phase. So I guess this discussion should probably change to any recommendations on a good file recovery program.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    If the hard drive is clicking, I regret to inform you that your hard drive is (mechanically) going the way of the dodo. When it clicks, it means the little arm inside the hard drive that is <i>supposed</i> to disengage from an idle position to read information is no longer disengaging. It's akin to the arm on an old turntable being stuck on the cradle, unable to be moved to read a vinyl.

Unfortunately, there is not much that can remedy this issue, and you're pretty much out of luck. :(