SATA Problem BOOT Failure

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi guys.
I have a GIGABYTE K8NF-9 mobo and a SATA Seagate Barracuda 80GB HDD.

The problem is that until now everything worked perfectly until i hit the "Load Optimized Defaults" button in BIOS.

After that the system cannot boot and says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I have already disabled the RAID function under the Integrated Peripherals menu in BIOS but still no work.

The most weird thing is that my SATA HDD is "SOMETIMES!!" recognized in IDE CHANNEL 0 or IDE CHANNEL 2, under the "Standard CMOS Features" menu in BIOS. Also, before the "DISK BOOT FAILURE...." shows up it says IDE CHANNEL 0 or (again) Master S.M.A.R.T capability disabled....
....... i forgot to mention that after the " Load Optimized Defaults" the system booted one time, but never again..
ANY IDEAS ??? pls help guys!

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Moderator:
    Could you, please, move this thread to the General Hardware forum?
    Thankyou, Pterocarpous

Hello Zsis. Welcome to Short Media!

Assuming your BIOS is configured properly, you may have an issue w/ your BIOS firmware, the HDD itself, the controller on the motherboard, or your SATA cable.

Try the simplest thing first - use a different SATA cable.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try clearing the motherboard's CMOS. (If you don't know how to do this, let us know.)

If the problem persists, see if you can get the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and flash the BIOS. Instructions for how to flash your BIOS will be on the manufacturer's web site as well.

If you are still experiencing the same problem after all these steps, try another HDD (IDE or SATA) and see if it is properly detected. Test both types if you can (be sure to disable RAID to keep things simple).

Assuming your BIOS is configured propery...
    If your system still will not properly detect SATA and/or IDE drives then you likely have a controller issue on your motherboard (or your BIOS is corrupted or otherwise failed. I wouldn't think it is that though if your BIOS is keeping the settings you enter.)