Computer Won't Shut Down - Someone Please Help

edited January 2007 in Hardware
i have a problem with my computer and i dont know what to do...my screen starts blinking like crazy and it wont let me out by going to the start button or by doing ctrl/alt/del can someone please tell me what the problem may be or lead me in the direction i need to be going in...the only way i am able to get out of this is by turning the whole computer off from the electrical source...any and all help will be appreciated...thank you in advance...and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :celebrate

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Welcome to Short-Media.

First we need to know the specs of the computer like the speed of the processor and the make (ie. Dell, HP, eMachines, etc or homebuilt), plus how much memory and how old it is. The please tell us when the problem occurs, like during certain programs or during DVD palyback to name a few and how often it happens.
  • edited January 2007
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Welcome to Short-Media.

First we need to know the specs of the computer like the speed of the processor and the make (ie. Dell, HP, eMachines, etc or homebuilt), plus how much memory and how old it is. The please tell us when the problem occurs, like during certain programs or during DVD palyback to name a few and how often it happens.

I have an eMachines, it is only 10 months old and I'm not sure how much memory, it's 1.81 GHz. and 384 MB of RAM.....there is no certain time when the problem occurs but only when I am online....do you think I may have a virus? It happens everyday, like 1 to 2 times everytime and I just get aggravated so i just turn it off.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I have an eMachines, it is only 10 months old and I'm not sure how much memory, it's 1.81 GHz. and 384 MB of RAM.....there is no certain time when the problem occurs but only when I am online....do you think I may have a virus? It happens everyday, like 1 to 2 times everytime and I just get aggravated so i just turn it off.

Hello JaelinnesMom. Welcome to Short Media and Happy New Year to you, too!

You very well may have malware on your computer. Particularly since the issue you are experiencing appears to only take place when you are online. I'd like to check a couple of basic things first then move on if they are ok.

I'll ask you, what may seem like, a lot of questions. The reason we ask so many questions is because we cannot be there to make the observations ourselves. You must be our eyes and ears. I'll give you some instructions to follow as well. Just take them step by step and you'll do fine.

What kind of monitor do you have? IOW (in other words) is it a flat panel monitor or is it a CRT (big with glass front) monitor?

Do you hear any unusual sounds coming from either the monitor or the computer tower? If so, turn the computer and monitor off and post to us here describing in as much detail as possible the location of the sound and what it sounds like.

Did anything precipitate this?
    e.g. Power outtage or brown out., newly installed hardware or software, moving the equipment to a different location, anything you can think of...

Please do the following (if you are not hearing any strange sounds as I mentioned previously):
    (1)Shut down your computer and turn off your monitor.
    (2)Follow the cable that connects from your monitor to the back of your computer and make sure it is securely fastened. The connector at the end of the cable will have thumb screws on either side. They don't have to be on tight, just snug.
    (3)Now, follow the same cable to where it connects to your monitor. Make sure it is securely fastened there as well.
    (4)Next, follow the (usually black) power cord that connects from the monitor to a power outlet. Make sure that it is securely fastened both to the monitor and plugged into the outlet. Note: If yours is an LCD (flat panel) monitor, the power cable may include an A/C to D/C converter (black rectangular box). One side of the converter will have a thin cord that connects to the monitor. The otherside of the converter will have a thick (usually black) power cord that connects to your A/C power outlet. This power cord can work its way loose of the converter. Make sure it is securely fastened to the A/C to D/C converter as well.

Turn your monitor back on.
    Turn your computer back on.
    Pay close attention to exactly what you see and hear (take notes if necessary)
    Then post back here to let us know what you have observed.

========================================

A little Nugget of Info for You:
    When you are unable to shut your computer down normally (through START/TURN OFF COMPUTER/SHUTDOWN), you will need to shut it off using the power button on(usually) the front of the computer.

Press and hold down for at least 5 seconds the power button. The computer will then shut down.