Toshiba 460CDT Memory Initialization Problem

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have an old Toshiba laptop (model 460CDT) and I'm trying to upgrade the memory. It originally had 32MB RAM and I installed a 64MB module. The problem is that when the computer starts it goes through a Memory Initialization. It counts the memory up to 64MB and then reboots. This is a brand new RAM from 4AllMemory so I doubt the RAM is faulty though I suppose it could be. Unfortunately I can't get past the Memory Initialization to test it.

If I take the RAM out then there is no problem... the computer boots in all it's 32MB glory.

I've installed the latest BIOS. Does anyone have a suggestion on either what's wrong? I can't find a way to disable or skip the Initialization. Also, if the computer had 32MB of RAM and I just installed another 64MB why is it stopping at 64MB and not at 94MB?

Please help! Thanks!

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I have an old Toshiba laptop (model 460CDT) and I'm trying to upgrade the memory. It originally had 32MB RAM and I installed a 64MB module. The problem is that when the computer starts it goes through a Memory Initialization. It counts the memory up to 64MB and then reboots. This is a brand new RAM from 4AllMemory so I doubt the RAM is faulty though I suppose it could be. Unfortunately I can't get past the Memory Initialization to test it.

If I take the RAM out then there is no problem... the computer boots in all it's 32MB glory.

I've installed the latest BIOS. Does anyone have a suggestion on either what's wrong? I can't find a way to disable or skip the Initialization. Also, if the computer had 32MB of RAM and I just installed another 64MB why is it stopping at 64MB and not at 94MB?

Please help! Thanks!

Hello thunderclap82. Welcome to Short Media.

I'm in a bit of a rush right now but I'll get this to you real quickly.
    Your new memory may not be compatible w/ your laptop or with the 32MB of memory already installed (if you left it in) or the new memory may be bad.

Please, go here and download MEMTEST86. Create a bootable CD or Floppy diskette (depending upon your laptop's equipment) and test the memory. (Let us know if you need help w/ creating the bootable media.)

Let it run for at least an hour. It may fail right away, though.
    If it does fail right away, stop the test.
    If the 32MB module is still installed, uninstall it and put the new memory in the "bank" (slot or connector) the 32MB memory module was in.
    Run the memory test again.

If, however, the 32MB module was not installed, we'll need to verify that you have the proper RAM for your laptop.

Another option is: If the vendor you purchased the RAM from is capable of testing memory, have them test it for you.

A word of caution: When handling memory do not touch the ICs (integrated circuits or "chips" on the modules.) Handle the memory modules by their edges, avoiding touching any metal contacts, circuits, or ICs.
  • edited January 2007
    I can't run MemTest86 because the computer won't boot. It fails at the Memory Initialization part and reboots. This is something I wanted to do but can't. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Are you booting with only one memory module? Try just the 64k.
    My Toahiba will not run with different sized memory modules mixed.
    edited January 2007
    I can't run MemTest86 because the computer won't boot. It fails at the Memory Initialization part and reboots. This is something I wanted to do but can't. :)

Are you able to get into the BIOS? If so, how much memory is reported?

Remove the 64MB memory module and restore the 32MB module (if you had removed it.) Confirm that the problem goes away.

If the 32MB memory module had been still installed, remove it. Place the new memory in the same "bank" the 32MB module was installed in and see if the computer will go through POST (power on self test).
  • edited January 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    Are you booting with only one memory module? Try just the 64k.
    My Toahiba will not run with different sized memory modules mixed.

I don't know how to remove the original module. Where the expansion is I only see one slot for the module I added.
  • edited January 2007
    Are you able to get into the BIOS? If so, how much memory is reported?

Not with the new module in I can't.
    Remove the 64MB memory module and restore the 32MB module (if you had removed it.) Confirm that the problem goes away.

I've done that several times and the problem does indeed go away.
    If the 32MB memory module had been still installed, remove it. Place the new memory in the same "bank" the 32MB module was installed in and see if the computer will go through POST (power on self test).

That's what I need to find. I have no idea where that module is as it's not in the same area as the expansion slot is.
  • edited January 2007
    I've finally found a manual of this laptop and it looks like the memory is soldered onto the motherboard. If that's the case I won't be able to remove it.
    edited January 2007
    I've finally found a manual of this laptop and it looks like the memory is soldered onto the motherboard. If that's the case I won't be able to remove it.

Hi thunderclap82

That's what I thought. It isn't uncommon to find laptops that have a certain amount of memory built in or "integrated" and only one bank or slot available for upgrading.

So, we have a compatibility issue w/ the new RAM you purchased or the new RAM is bad.

Since you found your laptop manual, what does it say the maximum capacity is for memory? This is an older system so it isn't going to be much.

How did you choose or decide upon the type of RAM to purchase?

Did you or the vendor check the type of memory that should be used for this laptop?

Let me do some poking around at some memory configurator sites for info. on memory for your 460CDT.

Ok, I'm back. Here's the scoop.

Unfortunately, you cannot add a 64MB RAM module to this system. :sad2: It doesn't support 96 (32 + 64) MB of RAM. You may, however, add a 16MB or 32MB RAM module.

Here are the specifications at memory-configurator.com
    http://www.memory-configurator.com/TOSHIBA/Satellite/Satellite-Pro-440CDT--440CDX--445CDT--445CDX--460CDT--460CDX--465CDX--470CDT--480CDT.html
  • edited January 2007
    Unfortunately, you cannot add a 64MB RAM module to this system. :sad2: It doesn't support 96 (32 + 64) MB of RAM. You may, however, add a 16MB or 32MB RAM module.

Here are the specifications at memory-configurator.com
    http://www.memory-configurator.com/TOSHIBA/Satellite/Satellite-Pro-440CDT--440CDX--445CDT--445CDX--460CDT--460CDX--465CDX--470CDT--480CDT.html

Where are you seeing that only 16MB and 32MB modules are acceptable? I see that the system is pre-configured with either 16MB or 32MB and that you can upgrade with a 16MB and a 48MB module (I assume 32MB is alright too) for a maximum of 64MB or 80MB. (This is a lower number than I've previously seen... 128MB respectfully.)

That's strange considering that the site I bought it from, 4AllMemory, has a memory recommendation like Crucial and they recommended the 64MB module as compatible with the system. I even called them today for verification and they confirmed it.

On a side note they are sending me a replacement to see if it's a bad module.

Thanks for researching. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    edited January 2007
    The specifications at this particular memory configurator state that the system will support a maximum of 80MB of memory. The laptop already has 32MB built in. Adding 64MB will increase the memory to 96MB - exceeding the maximum supported capacity.

Other memory configurators may yield different results. Just do a search in your favorite search engine on "memory configurator" or check Toshiba's site.

Edit:
    I stand corrected. The memory configurator I consulted is incorrect (or I am missinterpreting their information). Following is a link on Toshiba's web site for specs on your Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT laptop computer. According to the documentation, it should be able to support up to 160MB RAM

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modelLanding.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Satellite+Pro&ProductMenu_2=1073769776&x=27&y=16&BV_SessionID=%40%40%40%401694300768.1167876155%40%40%40%40&BV_EngineID=cccgaddjkldjhdecgfkceghdgngdgnn.0&moid=1073769776&smoid=true&ct=MH&ListType=Model
  • edited January 2007
    All the memory sites I've visited that sell as well as looking at memory configurators list the system as having non-removable 16MB or 32MB with a max of 144MB or 160MB. I saw the site you pointed me too that lists a max of 80MB. This is why I'm a little confused because different sites are giving different information.
    edited January 2007
    All the memory sites I've visited that sell as well as looking at memory configurators list the system as having non-removable 16MB or 32MB with a max of 144MB or 160MB. I saw the site you pointed me too that lists a max of 80MB. This is why I'm a little confused because different sites are giving different information.

My dumb luck to pick a configurator that provided incorrect information. Sorry about that. Well, it looks as though you may indeed have a bad RAM module.

Come back and let us know if the new one worked out or not, ok?

Good Luck!
  • edited January 2007
    Come back and let us know if the new one worked out or not, ok?

Here's your update... bad memory. :) 4AllMemory was very good about sending a replacement to me quickly. Installed the new module and away I was. Thanks again for everyone's help!
    edited January 2007
    Here's your update... bad memory. :) 4AllMemory was very good about sending a replacement to me quickly. Installed the new module and away I was. Thanks again for everyone's help!
    :celebrate Congratulations!! Thanx for coming back to let us know how it turned out. Stick around! We're a friendly bunch here. We'd love to have ya.
  • edited January 2007
    I figured it was something like this but in the event it wasn't (and waiting an extra week for the replacement memory) I thought I'd pick the brains here. :)

Unfortunately it turns out, even with the memory upgrade, that the laptop isn't powerful enough for my script writing software... Final Draft 7. So this laptop will be sold to cover the cost of my new (used) laptop: an IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a Pentium II with 288MB RAM and a 4.5GB drive.

Now if only I could decide on which OS to use: Ubuntu (or xUbuntu) and use Wine or Windows 2000? Hmm...
    edited January 2007
    I figured it was something like this but in the event it wasn't (and waiting an extra week for the replacement memory) I thought I'd pick the brains here. :)

Unfortunately it turns out, even with the memory upgrade, that the laptop isn't powerful enough for my script writing software... Final Draft 7. So this laptop will be sold to cover the cost of my new (used) laptop: an IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a Pentium II with 288MB RAM and a 4.5GB drive.

Now if only I could decide on which OS to use: Ubuntu (or xUbuntu) and use Wine or Windows 2000? Hmm...
    Try our Alternative OS forum if you like.....