Severe Computer Booting Problem

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi all.

I'm sorry that I cannot help with this, but in fact I'm looking for help. My computer doesn't boot either. It's a bit old (AMD Duron 800) and it has never booted immediatly, although it has power, the HD light turns on, the cd/dvd drives open. It only boots if I press the "reset" button, and even that only after a while (which in the last days has turned to 2/3 hours - it's driving me insane!). What can I do? What may be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sofia Holzel

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Oh... and I cannot afford a NEW computer :( !!! Thanks :bigggrin: !!! (Yes... I've foud the smilies...
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Hi all.
    I'm sorry that I cannot help with this, but in fact I'm looking for help. My computer doesn't boot either. It's a bit old (AMD Duron 800) and it has never booted immediatly, although it has power, the HD light turns on, the cd/dvd drives open. It only boots if I press the "reset" button, and even that only after a while (which in the last days has turned to 2/3 hours - it's driving me insane!). What can I do? What may be wrong?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Sofia Holzel

Hello Sofia. Welcome to Short-Media. Hopefully we'll be able to help you out.

In response to your post:
    It could be a no. of things. (1st) Is the monitor ok? Do you see anything at all on the monitor when you 1st attempt to power up the system and then when it hangs? If so, what do you see and at what points during the process do you see it? (The more details the better)

What color is the power led on the monitor when you initially (attempt to) power up the system and then when it hangs? Typically, the monitor's LED will be green when it is communicating w/ the computer and red when it isn't communicating w/ the computer but is powered on.

Assuming the monitor is ok....
    A couple of possibilities are (1) a device detection is causing the system to hang during P.O.S.T. (hard drive for example or expansion CCA (circuit card assembly)). Another possibility is a bad power supply. I'd go w/ the former rather than the latter, though.

Does your system go through its P.O.S.T. (power on self test) before it hangs up? Do the keyboard LEDs ever flash?
    (http://www.whatis.com provides this definition of P.O.S.T.
    http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid44_gci214577,00.html)

Or does the system hang d-u-r-i-n-g P.O.S.T.? If so, what are the last lines on the screen before it hangs up. (Usually, there'll be a lot of text on the screen (black background) scrolling by during P.O.S.T.... u-n-l-e-s-s your system masks P.O.S.T. by displaying a logo while P.O.S.T. takes place in the background-hidden.)

Are you comfortable w/ plugging in and unplugging data and power cables inside your computer? If so, unplug your CD-ROM drive(s), zip drive, floppy drive, etc. (Be careful to note the placement and orientation of the cables so you can put them back into their original positions. Label them and take notes if necessary. Many of us did the same when we were starting out.) Be sure you have good light so you can see the connectors clearly.

Try to avoid unnecessary contact w/ electronic components inside your computer and be sure to take ESD (electro static discharge) precautions.
    http://www.pccomputernotes.com/esd/esd.htm

Make sure the power and IDE (wide flat "ribbon" cable) cables are firmly "seated" (connected) onto the hard drive's connectors. Follow the hard drive's IDE cable to its connection on the motherboard. Make sure the cable is firmly "seated" there as well. Finally, look for the power cable connecting to your motherboard. (It will be a bundle of differently colored wires that end in one or two white connectors coming from the power supply and connecting to the motherboard.) Make sure it/they is/are firmly seated as well.

Unplug all cables from external connections on your computer (ethernet, phone line, printer(s), scanner(s), etc.) Again, label and take notes if you need to so you can return them to their original positions. The only thing remaining connected should be your video connector (from the monitor), the power cord, keyboard & mouse.

Now, try booting your computer. What happens - exactly?
    ----
    If you have the same problem.....

What operating system are you running on this computer? The reason I ask is the next thing I'd have you do is remove the expansion CCAs (circuit card assemblies) that are not needed for your system to boot (you'll need to keep the video CCA) plugged in unless the system uses integrated video (video built in to the motherboard). The problem w/ removing expansion CCAs is, if you have a pre-XP operating system, the operating system will likely "forget" the hardware device (CCA) you removed previously. You'll have to reload the drivers for the CCA once you're booting back into the operating system w/ the device (CCA) installed.
    (http://www.bitpipe.com/tlist/Device-Drivers.html?asrc=SS_SRCH)

At any point if you're unsure of how to proceed, stop and post us a note. We'll help you along the way.
  • edited December 2006
    Hi Pterocarpous

First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

The monitor is OK, the power led on the monitor keeps blinking green just as it does when the computer is off, and the monitor NEVER comes to life.

The keyboard leds NEVER flash. The computer doesn't even beep when I first turn the power on.

The only thing that happens is that I hear the fan (I think it's the fan anyway) and the HDD (I think...) spinning, and there's this red light continuously on on the computer tower (the same light that blinks when the computer is "thinking"). It stays on for a few seconds and then it turns off, afterwards blinking only when I open and close the cd/dvd drives.

Oh, I was forgetting: if I turn the power on IMMEDIATELY after I plug it in the electrical socket (I keep it off because of somewhat frequent power peaks and electrical storms...) there's something spinning producing A LOT of noise (like a spinning washing machine!) which eventually dies down. This didn't happen at first. However, if I wait a bit after plugging it in and then press the "Power" button, this doesn't happen. Similar situation happened at my previous address, so it's not related to the electrical sockets.

USBs have power, the pen thingies charge up if I connect them.

If I wait for a while and then press "reset" button the computer boots normally... unless it's really cold (like in the past few days)! Already checked all the wire connections, seem to be OK.

I'll try next to unplug all the drives etc. Thanks for the advice on ESD precautions, in fact I already did that because I almost always get "shocked" whenever I touch metal, and "shock" people if I touch them (and computers act funny when I'm around - not just mine - displaying "unknown error" at "unknown", freezing, crashing... :grumble: should I call an exorcist??? :eek2: ).

OS is Windows ME.

I'll see what happens after I unplug all unnecessary components and post it here.

Again, thanks for your help!

Sofia Holzel
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Sofia: First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

Pterocarpous: You're certainly welcome.

Sofia: USBs have power, the pen thingies charge up if I connect them.

Pterocarpous: "pen thingies"? Do you mean pen drives?
    What I recommend you do is d-i-s-c-o-n-n-e-c-t any USB devices - in fact, any devices or cables connected to your computer at all other than the monitor, keyboard and mouse. When you troubleshoot a computer, you can be most effective by eliminating as many variables as possible. This is one way towards doing that.

Sofia: The monitor is OK, the power led on the monitor keeps blinking green just as it does when the computer is off, and the monitor NEVER comes to life. The keyboard leds NEVER flash. The computer doesn't even beep when I first turn the power on.

Pterocarpous: The not-beeping on power-up isn't necessarily a problem. Not all computers beep when you power them up. Re: no activity on the monitor or keyboard, This could indicate that the system is not going through P.O.S.T. although the flashing HDD activity LED gives me pause on that conclusion. Do you turn off the monitor just as you do when you turn off your computer? IOW (in other words), has the monitor been off as long as the computer when you attempt to start up the system?

Sofia: The only thing that happens is that I hear the fan (I think it's the fan anyway) and the HDD (I think...) spinning,....

Pterocarpous: If the case is open, I'm not surprised that you can hear a fan spinning. Even w/ the case closed, some systems have very loud fans. It's not unusual to be able to hear your HDD chugging along either. Just as long as it isn't making any clicking, or screeching sounds.

Sofia: ...and there's this red light continuously on on the computer tower (the same light that blinks when the computer is "thinking"). It stays on for a few seconds and then it turns off, afterwards blinking only when I open and close the cd/dvd drives.

Pterocarpous: This is your HDD activity LED. How long does the HDD activity LED flash?

Sofia: ...if I turn the power on IMMEDIATELY after I plug it in...there's something spinning producing A LOT of noise (like a spinning washing machine!) which eventually dies down. This didn't happen at first. However, if I wait a bit after plugging it in and then press the "Power" button, this doesn't happen. Similar situation happened at my previous address, so it's not related to the electrical sockets.

Pterocarpous: This is a most likely a fan going bad. If so, what you're hearing are the fan's bearings failing. When the noise goes away completely, it's not necessarily a good sign. It could mean that the fan has locked up entirely and is not spinning at all or that the bearings have heated up enough to free themselves up enough to start the fan spinning. To narrow down which fan is failing, open up the case and look at the fans inside - preferably while the noise is occuring. You'll find one fan (likely) located on top of a heat sink which is on top of your CPU. Another (at least one) fan is inside your power supply. It may be mounted on the underside of the power supply or it may be at the back of the power supply (facing the back of your computer case). There may be case fans as well mounted at the front, back or side of the case. Sometimes a failing fan is odvious as it is wobbling or noticibly running at low RPMSs (revolutions per minute). If I can't tell which fan is bad, I take a pencil and insert it in the fan blades' path, temporarily stopping the fan from spinning then I let it start up again (remove the pencil). If the fan is bad, this will often induce the noise as it spins back up to speed again. A failing/failed fan can lead to overheating problems. It should definetly be replaced. If the fan is in the power supply, it's easiest to replace the power supply as replacing the fan requires finding the exact sized fan to fit the power supply's form factor and some, usually, soldering.

Sofia: ...(I keep it (the computer) off because of somewhat frequent power peaks and electrical storms...)

Pterocarpous: This is why it is very important that you connect a good quality UPS (universal power supply) between your wall A/C outlet and your computer. Computers are v-e-r-y sensitive to power anamolies and can suffer subtle cumulative damage over time because of power spikes and such. A good UPS will kick in to battery mode when your house power goes out of range (sags, spikes) and will go back on house power once it has normalized. The UPS's software will also perform a clean shutdown of your computer if the house power is off for more than a preset period of time.

Sofia: If I wait for a while and then press "reset" button the computer boots normally... unless it's really cold (like in the past few days)! Already checked all the wire connections, seem to be OK.

Pterocarpous: This is a good observation. You may have a temperature-related problem that, once the device has heated up sufficiently an intermittent or broken connection is made and it begins to work properly. Remember, metal contracts as the temperature is lowered and expands as it is increased. Old hands at narrowing down such a problem use a can of (used to be) freon (purchased at electronics supply stores) and spray suspicous or suspect components to see if cooling the component will induce (or get rid of) an intermittent heat-related problem.

Sofia: Thanks for the advice on ESD precautions, in fact I already did that because I almost always get "shocked" whenever I touch metal, and "shock" people if I touch them (and computers act funny when I'm around - not just mine - displaying "unknown error" at "unknown", freezing, crashing... :grumble: should I call an exorcist???

Pterocarpous: This is not unheard of. My veterinarian's husband has the same problem. In fact, he's not allowed around computers at work for the same reasons. The same principal holds true though. You should be at the same potential as the electronic component (ideally grounded) b-e-f-o-r-e you touch it. The act of touching the component will result in you both reaching the same potential one way or the other. The problem is, if you are at a different potential initially (holding a charge) than the electronic component, an electrostatic discharge will occur between you and the device in order to equalize the potential. That's when components get damaged.

Sofia: I'll try next to unplug all the drives etc.

Pterocarpous: It may be a red herring in my mind but I'm not convinced your monitor is ok. Is there another computer you can connect it to?

Sofia: OS is Windows ME.

Pterocarpous: Remember about the drivers. You'll need to have them handy if the system doesn't properly detect CCAs you've removed then re-installed later.

Sofia: I'll see what happens after I unplug all unnecessary components and post it here.

Pterocarpous: I am convinced of one thing. The problem is heat (temperature)-related. Allrighty. Go get 'em. Lessee what happens!