No gaming with new build !!!

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Can anyone please help me ?

I have recently upgraded my pc with new mobo ABIT AW9D-MAX and new cpu
Intel 2.4ghx Conroe Duo Core, 2 gigs Corsair DDR2 ram with Windows XP Pro.

Now be patient with me because I am a noob with PC's my knowledge is limited. I have 150gb Raptor Hard drive, 250 gb spinpoint sata HD drive, 320gb WD pata HD drive my graphics card is XFX Nvidia 7900 GTX PCIE.

The problem I have is although the build went well, every time a install a game BF2,FH or NWN2, whe I try to play the game the load times are incredibly slow, gameplay is impossible due to severe lag (thats after 10-15mins to load the game.

I have tried new nvidia drivers and even old ones to see if that helped. Tried dloading latest intel chipset for mobo. I have uninstalled and reconnected all the wiring. Have tried microsoft hotfixes. Basically I think I have tried all i know.

To be honest I am at the end of my patience and trying to keep calm when you feel you have wasted a lot of hard earned savings doesn't help.

I don't know what to do. Help me please.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    That build should be spot on for performance, so my first major question is system cooling :)

How many fans do you have in your case? What system cooling do you have?

The abit board should have come with system monitoring tools, have you checked to see what temperature the processor and motherboard sensors are reporting...?

Apart from gaming, is any other application slow? Email, web...?

What antivirus do you have? Firewall?

Is this lag only during network play or is affecting single player gaming too?

How do you have your hard drives setup..?

That should get you started and will help us closer identify the issue you are having :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    What Hard Drive are you installing the games on?
    What is your internet speed?
    What size is your Power Supply?

As Shorty has said, your PC is no slouch when it comes to gaming... and should not be having these errors...
  • edited January 2007
    I have 2 80mm fans in the case one at the rear and one at the side which is directly over the graphic card. The cpu has the Zalman CNPS9700 LED cooler as heatsink. My raptor is the c: drive, have not set up raid in any configuration (would not know how to do that. )

I have standard windows firewall/and firewall on router . My anit-virus is AVG 7.5 free.

The lag is at every part of gaming i.e Loading, single player and multi-player.

I am going to try to update the bios (something i have never known how to do) after some advise from work colleague, that might resolve the issue but I'm not hopeful.

PSU is 600W

My games are loaded on the 150gb Raptor(same as O/S ).

My internet speed was 8meg broadband but I am changing to 16meg soon, in fact they should have cleared my line today, but I'm not holdng my breath they have been trying to clear it since the 15th Septemeber 2006. (Ukonline ).

I have never had a cooling problem with my system before but don't know how to check the settings/Temp sorry :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    - Is your system reading the full 2 GB of memory?
    - Have you tried installing the games on one of the other drives?
    - Do you have a Page File setup? If so what is the size?
    - Under Task Manager how many processes are running also what is the CPU Usage & PF Usage?

- What Graphic Card Driver are you using? DL & Install these If you don't have them
    - Is the lag more apparent in one game over others?
  • edited January 2007
    Ok possibly found the problem but I am taking the machine up to Ronson and his brother so we can sit down and sort out the issues. My feeling is that I have obviously messed something up on the re-build so we will hopefully start from scratch and try again. One problem I found th other night was when I tried put the new O/S system on, I was unable to access the bios (usb keyboard n mouse) so I think that the origianial partition was not deleted and the disk did not reformat which could have been causing the problems.

I have since tried numerous times to access the bios but my keyboards (tried 2 diff) were unable to access the bios regardless of usb or ps2 connection. Is it possible the bios has corrupted and how would I fix it if I can't get access to the bios ?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    What key are you hitting to try and enter the BIOS?

Most use the "Delete" key, but there are boards which make you use one of the "F" keys (such as F2, etc). If you have one of those types and are using a multimedia keyboard which lets the "F" keys do double-duty for things such as opening your web browser, make sure that the F-Lock button is enabled. :)
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for your help guys I took the pc to a friends house and we fixed it by process of trial and error.

The main problem was an IDE to SATA converter on one of my HD that was locking the keyboards out at boot up (which is why I couldn't access the BIOS to change even the BOOT up sequence). Once we removed that we were able to get it to boot from the cd. So before formating the HD we cleared the CMOS and updated the BIOS, then totally re-formated the Raptor HD and put on the O/S.

It now works a dream. Thanks again for all your help and advice, Oh and NEVER USE IDE to SATA converters.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Glad to hear that you got it going. :cheers: