System Ram

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Just a couple of questions but what determines the max system ram you can have and what happens if say you have 2 dimm slots with a max of 2gigs but you put 2 2gig chips in it? Just wondering out of curiosity.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The motherboard chipset is what makes that decision. Usually each slot has a set amount it can handle, either 1 GB chips or 2 GB chips for desktops. Some manufactures will allow more but really it all depends on that chipset :) If you need to know what the mobo will support it is a quick find if you know the manufacturer of the mobo.

The worst that can happen is the PC won't boot, or you could have a slight risk in damaging the ram "But I highly doubt that will happen"

If this is for the HP laptop you bought 2 GB is the max it will support :)
  • edited January 2007
    Well hell so much for having 3-4gig in the HP system I have then lol. Was really hoping to be able to upgrade the ram further than 2 gig for when Vista came out.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Usually, no boot.
    Sometimes you will boot but keep getting wierd errors.
    Chipsets are not very smart.
    edited January 2007
    I am pretty sure Alienware and Dell offer laptops that will run more than 2GB. But I could be wrong in that, haven't been looking around to see what is available. But I do know my HP laptops would not boot with more than 2GB of memory.

If this is for a Desktop, it is pretty easy and cheap to swap motherboards when you do upgrade to Vista. Just make sure it has your CPU's socket and of course has more than 2 slot for memory...
  • edited January 2007
    Its a laptop. The DV9000t to be exact. Oh well on the upgrading. I guess ill be waiting til all the bugs are out of Vista and they increase its performance while gaming. Definatly dont think the wife is going to let me buy a new laptop just to upgrade since I got this one back in October. Thanks for the response guys.
    edited January 2007
    No problem, but to Note I have Vista running on a DV8000t with a 7600Go 512MB GPU and 2GB of memory and games run perfect on it...
  • edited January 2007
    Thought it had been posted that Vista eats up almost 1gig of ram just to start up and that games had like a 10% performance drop? Do you not notice any performance issues compared to XP pro? What kind of games are you running?
    edited January 2007
    Vista is crusing with 400MB of memory used, I am running games like BF2142, BFME2: ROTWK, COD 3, Company of Heroes etc...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Byrds6 wrote:
    Thought it had been posted that Vista eats up almost 1gig of ram just to start up and that games had like a 10% performance drop? Do you not notice any performance issues compared to XP pro? What kind of games are you running?

It eats up 384-450mb of RAM on a fresh load, and the performance drop is 10-20% depending on the video card and game in question.
  • edited January 2007
    Wow that is a huge difference between others that have posted. Did you have to hack the proccesses to hell to get it that low or it just nativly started out there or close to it? I could have swore Thrak or someone had said it had a decrease in performance and ate a lot of ram. Dont quote me on the person though as I really do not remember.
  • edited January 2007
    Weird Thrax's post showed up after I had already posted mine lol. So If I have a DV9000t with 2 gigs of ram and a 7600go 512meg card will I take a performance hit or will I see better performance in games like Everquest2? Granted I also have a 64bit CPU in my system too. The intel core 2 duo 2ghz
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You're going to take a performance hit, for three reasons:

1) Vista uses 2-4 times the amount of memory XP does at boot.
    2) Video drivers for vista are very immature -- they're slow.
    3) The 3d-accelerated interface -- it uses 3D resources -- runs even when your games are.
  • edited January 2007
    Granted drivers will get better eventually but will the OS in itself get better to gain performance increases rather than loose them? I know it uses more memory at start up over XP but if I have more memory than it uses now will I notice a difference? I think even while running EQ2 I dont use half the memory I have. Also what about the fact Ill be going from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS? Might as well get the low down on all of it to make a better informed decision on buying it or not.