Can't boot anymore! CRISIS

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi there,

I've got a quiet important problem with my pc. i'll try to explain it to you as clear as i can.

Recently i installed the Windows Vista 6000 x86 -edition on my Amd 2000+ 1533mhz with 512mb-ram and with Radeon 9600 video card. worked not optimal must say, but it did work. Now i bought an ipod yesterday and installed itunes coz i wanted to load it ****ful of music! Now the problem was: itunes was workin at extremely slow speeds so i decided to get rid of this VistaOS until i upgraded my pc.

I did the next: Shut down the pc, put the xp pro dutch version in the cdrom (which both have always worked without no problems at all), set up my boot device priorities and checked what happened:

My first copy of XP Pro, dutch version gave me after the start screen, the message: Ntldr not foud/missing/... (whatever) press crt+at+del to reboot.
I put it in the other drive: same thing.

The second copy of XP pro, dutch version did exactly the same thing, both drives.

My third copy of still xP pro dutch version(an older one i found) did something else: it said:

"To boot from cd-rom press any key" (with the four .... appearing behind it> when fourth one was there, it took the next boot device, duh, and booted the pc in vista) wasn't quick enough: so rebooted and pressed the enter button!

But when i pressed it: it stopped: not other dots appeard, but it didn't do anything else-> the dvd-drive seemed like not to respond. The pc did nothing so i pressed the reboot butten.

I tried the other drive: same thing!

Tried again with a copy of of Windows 98, second version: skipped the both dvd-drives as boot-devices and went straight to Vista!

Now is there any way anyone of you can help me to fix this problem? I really want my Xp pro back, but i'm desperate!

Thnx

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hello levrie! Welcome to Short Media!
    levrie wrote:
    ...Recently i installed the Windows Vista 6000 x86 -edition on my Amd 2000+ 1533mhz with 512mb-ram and with Radeon 9600 video card. worked not optimal must say, but it did work.
    You are right. Your resources are a bit low for Vista...
    levrie wrote:
    ...itunes was workin at extremely slow speeds...
    Could be the Vista drivers are not quite up to par.
    levrie wrote:
    ...so i decided to get rid of this VistaOS until i upgraded my pc....
    Not a bad idea. Will require a clean start, though. (Rebuilding your HDD build from scratch.) Cannot go backwards with your operating system.
    levrie wrote:
    ...I did the next: Shut down the pc, put the xp pro dutch version in the cdrom...
    Pretty sure the OS language version has nothing to do w/ the problem you are experiencing.
    levrie wrote:
    ...set up my boot device priorities and checked what happened:
    Is the BIOS maintaining the boot device priorties you have configured?
    Did you have to change the boot device priority or was it already set to boot the CDROM drive 1st?
    levrie wrote:
    ...after the start screen, the message: Ntldr not foud/missing/... (whatever) press crt+at+del to reboot.
    The system is not finding a boot loader. (either off of your HDD or the CDROM disc)
    levrie wrote:
    ...I put it in the other drive: same thing...The second copy of XP pro, dutch version did exactly the same thing, both drives...
    Didn't think this had anything to do w/ your media (CDROM discs) until I read your next statement.
    levrie wrote:
    ...My third copy of still xP pro dutch version(an older one i found) did something else: it said: "To boot from cd-rom press any key"...
    OK. This means the system has recognized that there is bootable media in your CDROM drive and it is giving you the opportunity to choose between booting from the CDROM disc or booting to the HDD. Usually you would hit [ENTER] at this prompt to choose to boot from the CDROM disc.
    levrie wrote:
    ...(with the four .... appearing behind it> when fourth one was there, it took the next boot device, duh, and booted the pc in vista) wasn't quick enough: so rebooted and pressed the enter button! But when i pressed it: it stopped: not other dots appeard, but it didn't do anything else-> the dvd-drive seemed like not to respond. The pc did nothing so i pressed the reboot butten...
    Sorry, levrie. I do not understand what you were saying in these statements. Could you restate them please?
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,

THnx a lot already for respondin' to my post so great! Cool u'r tryin' to help!

So what i meant, was that when i actually pressed 'any button', the system blocked! I couldn't press anything anymore! Had to reboot cause the system just didn't do anything and i couldn't do a thing either after i pressed enter (tried it several times)

thnx
    edited January 2007
    levrie wrote:
    Hi, THnx a lot already for respondin' to my post so great! Cool u'r tryin' to help!
    You are most welcome. We will try to help you.
    levrie wrote:
    ...So what i meant, was that when i actually pressed 'any button', the system blocked! I couldn't press anything anymore! Had to reboot cause the system just didn't do anything and i couldn't do a thing either after i pressed enter (tried it several times)..

So your keyboard locked up. Try again and this time press the [ENTER] key when you are prompted to boot from the CDROM.
  • edited January 2007
    No no, that's not what i meant:smiles: i'll try to explain it again:

See, when you're prompted to boot there appear dots after "press any button to continue"

Press any button to continue.
    Press any button to continue..
    Press any button to continue...
    Press any button to continue....
    (after the fourth one appears it boots from HDD)

We'll now if i press a button while this (.->..->...->....) is busy, the system blocks:

If i press [enter] when there a 2 dots (..) for example after the phrase: this screen remains! (so it stops at those 2 dots) And it doesn't continue to the windows setup (the blue screen where you can choose to repair, install,... right?)

Had problems with keyboard, but solved them with UBS2.0 4-port-hub.

Hope you understand this: i'm still explaining it a bit complicated i guess.
    Thanx for ur support!
    edited January 2007
    levrie wrote:
    No no, that's not what i meant:smiles: i'll try to explain it again:
    See, when you're prompted to boot there appear dots after "press any button to continue"
    Press any button to continue.
    Press any button to continue..
    Press any button to continue...
    Press any button to continue....
    (after the fourth one appears it boots from HDD)
    We'll now if i press a button while this (.->..->...->....) is busy, the system blocks:
    If i press [enter] when there a 2 dots (..) for example after the phrase: this screen remains! (so it stops at those 2 dots) And it doesn't continue to the windows setup (the blue screen where you can choose to repair, install,... right?)
    Had problems with keyboard, but solved them with UBS2.0 4-port-hub.
    Hope you understand this: i'm still explaining it a bit complicated i guess.
    Thanx for ur support!
    Ohhh! Well, my goodness! Thankyou, that helps quite a bit.
    The messages you are seeing on the screen do not imply that it saw bootable media in the CDROM drive at all. In fact, it could be the end of a message that began w/ "No HDD found" or "No Operating System Found", or something similar.

Ok, it appears that it is still not polling your CDROM drive 1st in the boot priority order.

Something you might want to check (I don't think this is the problem but just to be sure...):

Make sure that your optical drives are jumpered properly on the secondary IDE channel. The last optical drive on the secondary IDE cable (the fartherest from the motherboard) should be jumpered as SLAVE and the drive connected to the middle of the cable should be jumpered to MASTER.
    -OR-
    You can jumper them BOTH to CS (cable select)
    Check the BIOS to be sure they are both being detected properly.
    Try to boot to the OS CDROM disc.

If you experience the same problem, disconnect one of the optical drives.
    Leave only one connected to the END of the IDE cable (fartherest away from the motherboard) and jumpered to MASTER or CS (cable select)
    Check the BIOS to be sure it is being detected properly.

If you experience the same problem, try the previous step again w/ the other optical drive.

If you experience the same problem, restore your BIOS "optimized" default settings.
    Check to be sure your optical drive (keep only one connected for now) is being properly detected in the BIOS.

If this does not work, please, consult your motherboard manual (or support docs online) for directions on how to clear your system CMOS. If you are unable to locate such instructions, let me know. I will point you to generic instructions for clearing your system CMOS. (they will not be specific for your particular motherboard, however.)
    edited January 2007
    levrie wrote:
    ...And it doesn't continue to the windows setup (the blue screen where you can choose to repair, install,... right?)
    You are correct. The windows setup screen background is blue. However, you will not choose to perform a repair install. You will need to format (use windows setup to delete the primary partion and reformat it) and perform a clean install of the operating system.

That reminds me! Is your data backed up? :hair:
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    levrie wrote:
    I did the next: Shut down the pc, put the xp pro dutch version in the cdrom (which both have always worked without no problems at all), set up my boot device priorities and checked what happened:

My first copy of XP Pro, dutch version gave me after the start screen, the message: Ntldr not foud/missing/... (whatever) press crt+at+del to reboot.
    I put it in the other drive: same thing.

The second copy of XP pro, dutch version did exactly the same thing, both drives.

My third copy of still xP pro dutch version(an older one i found) did something else: it said:

"To boot from cd-rom press any key" (with the four .... appearing behind it> when fourth one was there, it took the next boot device, duh, and booted the pc in vista) wasn't quick enough: so rebooted and pressed the enter button!

But when i pressed it: it stopped: not other dots appeard, but it didn't do anything else-> the dvd-drive seemed like not to respond. The pc did nothing so i pressed the reboot butten.

I tried the other drive: same thing!

Tried again with a copy of of Windows 98, second version: skipped the both dvd-drives as boot-devices and went straight to Vista!

Now is there any way anyone of you can help me to fix this problem? I really want my Xp pro back, but i'm desperate!

Thnx
    Check BIOS and ensure that the optical drives are being recognized. If they are, then ensure the boot device order once again. Process of elimination...set only the optical drive as a boot device and disable all of the others devices. Clean your disks and ensure that they are all working (try booting in another pc if available). If you have spare ide cables, swap them in taking special attention to their current orientation. You could also try the drive in another computer if that option is available. You stated that you corrected the keyboard problem, then try the dutch disk that at least gave you the option to setup windows. This situation may possibly lead to the optical drive going...seeing as how you attempted different copies of the OS. I don't recall you ever stating that you made any adjustments in BIOS. If you did, please explain in detail what you did.