Referrals

KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
edited January 2007 in Folding@Home
Please be courteous when promoting Short-Media Forums by not spamming other web sites with your referral link just to gain referrals.

Not sure what constitutes spamming :dunce:

I would like to use a link to folding @ home and to Short Media in my signature on another forum, would this be spamming :confused:

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Depends on the other forum's rules. We prohibit signatures until "X" posts then they can make a signature. We keep an eye on links inside sigs but for the most part, we don't mind. But again, it's up to other forums. :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    QCH covered it pretty well. :rockon:

Most other forums are much more amenable to this sort of thing if you approach a mod over there and ask first. An explanation of what the link actually points to is usually helpful, too. There are some who think that FAH is some grand money-making scheme for Stanford, so clearing that up might help. (Believe it or not, there are some research projects like this which are run by For-Profit organizations...)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure if you meant to use one of our F@H signatures, but just as an FYI those use javascript and so typically will not work on other forums. At some point in the future I plan to modify ours to eliminate the pasting of javascript into signatures... bit of a security problem, really. :-/

Q and prof got the rest - all forums have different standards :)
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited January 2007
    Thank you - Q & Prof for the heads up on forum etiquette :thumbsup:

Keebs - re the links I thought to just use text with a hypo to joinfolding com and the same for SM - would this be ok?

Enjoy your holiday in Highlands/Lowlands of Scotland :)