CD drive not showing

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
my friend is having a problem with their PC - their CD drive isn't showing and inserting a disk doesn't help, any suggestions?

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    my friend is having a problem with their PC - their CD drive isn't showing and inserting a disk doesn't help, any suggestions?
    Hello Harudath
    Let's see if we can help you here. We'll need some more info. first, though.

(1) What exactly do you mean by "isn't showing"?
    (2) Do you mean the CD doesn't show or do you mean the CDROM drive itself doesn't show?
    (3) Does the CDROM drive show up in MY COMPUTER?
    (4) Does the CDROM drive show up in DEVICE MANAGER?
    (5) Was the CDROM drive recently installed?
    (6) Was a 2nd optical drive (or even hard disk drive) recently installed or uninstalled?
    (7) Has the CDROM drive ever worked in this system?
    (8) Is your friend experiencing any other problems (software or hardware) with his/her computer?
    (9) Did anything precipitate this failure? (e.g. new hardware or software or drivers installed or uninstalled)

The more details the better. :smiles:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Go here.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited January 2007
    Turn off the computer, open the case, and make sure the drive is completely plugged in (power and data cable). Make sure these cables are also connected to the power supply and motherboard respectively.

Turn on the computer and enter BIOS before Windows loads. You can do this by pressing (usually) the Delete key, or whatever key the screen tells you to press to enter "setup" or something similarly named. Once you're in the BIOS menus, look around to see if the CD-ROM drive is detected there.

There really are a lot of possibilities for what could be wrong and until you answer one or more of Pterocarpous's questions, there's no real way anyone can give you a definite solution (unless, of course, Thrax made a lucky guess about recently uninstalling Easy CD Creator).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The issue can happen with or without Easy CD Creator. It's just prone to happening after that monstrosity of a software package is removed.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The issue can happen with or without Easy CD Creator. It's just prone to happening after that monstrosity of a software package is removed.

Very good to know, Thrax. Thankyou.

Re: Roxio (now EMC (Easy Media Creator)), I used to like it in the old days but have found that recent releases are real resource hogs. I liked the old classic version. It was straight forward - to the point - w/o all the fluff to weigh it down.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way a lot of suites and applications are going these days - busy, busy, busy, resource monopolizers that are way too entangled w/ the OS. :thumbsdow
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    There is no drive showing in My Computer, I wasn't there for long so I couldn't do a full check but the CD drive was working fine apparently before they moved so i'm wondering if it got disconnected when they were moving it, I would have a look but I have no idea what i'm doing :P so I'd rather not have a look than owe them £800 for messing up their PC :doh: And it was a dell PC - they didn't assemble it, I don't think anyone's been inside that PC...ever so not much likelyhood of someone accidentally unplugging something or not installing new hardware incorrectly as nothing has been changed.
    edited January 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    There is no drive showing in My Computer, I wasn't there for long so I couldn't do a full check but the CD drive was working fine apparently before they moved so i'm wondering if it got disconnected when they were moving it, I would have a look but I have no idea what i'm doing :P so I'd rather not have a look than owe them £800 for messing up their PC :doh: And it was a dell PC - they didn't assemble it, I don't think anyone's been inside that PC...ever so not much likelyhood of someone accidentally unplugging something or not installing new hardware incorrectly as nothing has been changed.
    That's an excellent observation (re: the drive not working after the tower had been physically moved.) Dell's aren't difficult to get into (to open). In fact you usually don't even need a screw driver. Tell us the model number (e.g. Dell Dimension 4550, etc.) and we'll tell you exactly how to open it and how to (safely) check the cables & other connections. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2007
    Erm...Not sure which model it is :S never liked dell, I was going to buy one of their PCs as there was an excellant deal on one of their leaflets, looked at the site and it was £300 more expensive inc VAT, so now I dislike them. I'll try and find out the model asap
    edited January 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    Erm...Not sure which model it is :S never liked dell, I was going to buy one of their PCs as there was an excellant deal on one of their leaflets, looked at the site and it was £300 more expensive inc VAT, so now I dislike them. I'll try and find out the model asap
    Depending upon the age of the computer, the model number (name) is usually on a button or otherwise located on the front panel of the tower.
    edited January 2007
    it is, I just didn't care to look, I found it inconcievable that Dell PCs would be easy to fix if they are as bad as their advertising...must...get...revenge! I wanna hack them and send their money to donkeys international.