Unable to boot PC !!!!! (Urgent)

edited January 2007 in Hardware
hi i had stupidly choose to safe boot (without command prompt) option from msconfig.
So i was not able to boot normally even after pressing F8 key & selecting normal boot from advance setting option during start up.
To make matter worse i tried to reinstall my pc from windows Xp pro (SP2) setup directory saved on my hard disk partition from my D drive.
i also tried to boot my pc from bootable xp pro (Sp2) disc from cd-rom but with no luck.
Now the situation is worst i cant even boot my pc in safe mode.
i also tried few BIOS settings but of no use.
Please help. I am extremely helpless.

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hello, taha198. Just so you know for future reference, please, stay w/ one thread for one problem. You currently have two threads for the same problem in two different forums. Our volunteers here by and large help out on multiple forums. So, your "Double-Posting" could cause some confusion on the part of people trying to help you. Please, don't return to the thread in the General Hardware forum. (Just stay in here w/ this one.) I have submitted a request that your duplicate thread in General Hardware be deleted. :)

Now, let's look at your problem shall we....? :)
    taha198 wrote:
    hi i had stupidly choose to safe boot (without command prompt) option from msconfig.
    So i was not able to boot normally even after pressing F8 key & selecting normal boot from advance setting option during start up.
    To make matter worse i tried to reinstall my pc from windows Xp pro (SP2) setup directory saved on my hard disk partition from my D drive.
    i also tried to boot my pc from bootable xp pro (Sp2) disc from cd-rom but with no luck.
    Now the situation is worst i cant even boot my pc in safe mode.
    i also tried few BIOS settings but of no use.
    Please help. I am extremely helpless.
    Any help to offer??????????????
    Fast please.
    Hello taha198. I'm up at this gawd awful hour working. Poked my head in here and saw your post..... Goodness! First..... s-l-o-w down! You're making a lot of changes, etc. apparently rather quickly. Let's take a look at this logically and see where you are.

I have a few questions for you 1st.
    (1) Please, look at the pic. Are these the windows you changed in MSCONFIG? If so, what options did you choose?
    (2) How far did you get w/ re-installing your operating system? IOW, is your hard drive build w/ respect to your operating system still intact?
    (3) I don't recommend installing your OS from your hard disk drive. Use the original or a slipstreamed CD instead.
    (4) E-x-a-c-t-l-y what do you see a-n-d what happens when attempting to boot your computer now?
    (5) E-x-a-c-t-l-y what did you change in your BIOS? Was it the DEVICE BOOT PRIORITY ORDER or something else?

Please, be very detailed and specific when describing what you have done and what the computer does and what you observe. This is imperative if we are to assist you as quickly as possible. Ok! Back to you! :thumbsup:
    edited January 2007
    Please, be sure to read the recomendations, references, etc. on this "Sticky" as well. There is a lot of very helpfull information and sage advice there.
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3220
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Pterocarpous the screenshot of msconfig is same.
    i selected the first option i.e. safe boot.
    then it started to boot in safe mode again & again, no matter what advance settings i choose.
    now the situation is that nothing happens after the brief bios screen.
    before that the setup reached to prepartion for installment but then it stopped saying 'windows setup cannot understand safe boot. the computer will restart now.'
    but after the restart it again tried to continue th installation & the the hence forth the same process continued.
    As far as the BIOS setting is concerned seriously i don't know much about it.
    but yes the boot order is i think hard disk & cd-rom enabled network boot is also there & boot from removable devices, but i think the later 2 are disabled.
    is it enough ? please help.
    edited January 2007
    taha198 wrote:
    Hi Pterocarpous the screenshot of msconfig is same.
    i selected the first option i.e. safe boot.
    then it started to boot in safe mode again & again, no matter what advance settings i choose.
    now the situation is that nothing happens after the brief bios screen.
    before that the setup reached to prepartion for installment but then it stopped saying 'windows setup cannot understand safe boot. the computer will restart now.'
    but after the restart it again tried to continue th installation & the the hence forth the same process continued.
    As far as the BIOS setting is concerned seriously i don't know much about it.
    but yes the boot order is i think hard disk & cd-rom enabled network boot is also there & boot from removable devices, but i think the later 2 are disabled.
    is it enough ? please help.
    Hello again taha198. Thankyou for answering my questions. My recommendation is that you follow the instructions provided in the article posted here. This will repair your "boot.ini" file which now has you locked into Safe Mode.

Having said that, once your boot.ini file is restored to a Normal Mode boot statement, you still need to determine why your system will not boot properly to Safe Mode. This is a symptom of a deeper problem. It may be that certain processes injected by malware, after being disabled (by choosing to boot into Safe Mode), are causing your system to fail. To that end, I recommend that, after you have your computer booting to Normal Mode again, you visit our Spyware & Virus Removal forum. Experts there will step you through analyzing your system for malware.