Server Conversion

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
(can you delete the old one from the "Other OS" section. This is an emergency as I only have a few hours before e-mails will start bouncing, which wont be good, see the bottom for the update)

Right, here is the prediciment........

The server will need to be doing the following -

Webserver (Apache and PHP)
FTP Server
Possibly various game serving
Shoutcast (Shout or Ice (ice is Linux only))
File Server (for LAN)
DHCP Server
DNS Server (LAN)
Mail Server
MySQL Server

Now, the problem is currently I am using Kerio Mail Server, which supprisingly wont work in Linux, and I have lots of settings and mail archives, which really is the only thing currently stopping me from converting now. (Ignore this, found that Kerio do the server for Linux too).

Secondly I need complete remote control over the machine as the only things plugged into it are going to be the Power cable and a network cable (exception to this is during setup, obviously).

and Thirdly, will there be any inprovement in speed over Windows (2000 AS) with all these functions? Or should I just stick with W2k AS?

Cheers all,
NS

[update: Well this is good......

Installed Slackware 9

Firstly it doesnt detect my network card.
Secondly X- just turns the screen brown and thats it, I cant do anything (trying to set it up, or typing kdm from anywhere else).

So I am stuck at the prompt with no network and no X-Windowing system....... I really do need some speedy help here.]

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Whats the network card? and what is the graphics card?

You need to grab source files for both and get recompiling.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The graphics and LAN are both built in and the mobo is the Asus A7N266-VM-SE.

LAN: RealTek 8201L PHY
    and the graphics just says GeForce 2.....

But how am I going to get the files to the machine (only thing I can do is burn it onto a CD....)

And how do I compile stuff? >.<

NS
    edited June 2003
    linuxconf - unknown command

Its not the monitor thats wrong because I get an out of sync message, so it must be something to do with the card. Im going to need the GF2 drivers.

Stupid, as it worked without ANY setup on my Laptops Radeon 9000.

NS
    edited June 2003
    I wouldn't imagine that the latest slackware has linuxconf. The linux community has effectively outlawed it as a security risk.

Im looking up your drivers now... but I think you would be better off redoing that rig with a distro which you know has support for the hardware. It's not l33t to use Slack .. when you don't have the time to configure it.

Use a distro that supports RPMS. Quick and simple with almost no rebuilding necessary. You can use slackware on another rig and learn it.. then you wont need an RPM handholding exercise. Right now, you dont have the time. Grab RH9... and you will have all you need.
    edited June 2003
    Dropped the Idea, reformatting and going back to Windows 2k.

Need to learn more about Linux before hand. Though what I was expecting was for Slack to work as it did on my laptop. Networking ran stright off the bat, as did the graphics and the X-Windowing system.

Server is an AthlonXP 2000+ with 512MB DDR and 80GB HDD space btw jdii.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Right, I decided to try again >)

And guess what, about everything possible has gone wrong.

Firstly after installing RH9 it wouldnt boot, it would freeze at "Finding Module Depedencies". Well after a few hours of searching and stupid comments from people in the Linux IRC room, I found that it is infact a problem with the Asus A7N266-VM mobo, basically, you cant use USB, otherwise Red Hat wont boot. Perfect. So, now I am mouseless.

Now I need to work out how to get the network card working. Looking at LSPCI, it is listed as - nVidia Corporation nForce Ethernet Controller (rev 2c).

But when I check ifconfig there is no eth0 present, so I am guessing it hasnt loaded the drivers for it.

I tried downloading the Red Hat 8 RPM from nVidias site but I just get a "Cannot execute binary file" when I try to sh it.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I cant get into X Either, first the screen flickers between the terminal and a blank screen, then I get a blue screen with a lighter blue box on it with just " Yes No" written on it....

Saying Yes gives me a debug notice saying some general stuff then...

Fatal server error
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

If I answer Yes to the next blank box, and ok to the one after then I get to an actual XWindow box asking to select my screenmode and colours........ but...... the keyboard has entirely frozen, cant switch to ttl's or anything.

So first, lets get the network card working.

NS

EDIT: Right, I managed to install the nForce drivers, but on boot it now says "eth0 doesnt appear to be present, something something" and doesnt start it.
    edited June 2003
    Turns out the network module didnt actually install, and the RPM just isnt actually instailling it.

Tried the tar file to make it and I just get;

"cc: cannot execute command"

2 Days and I have got no-where.

NS
    edited June 2003
    http://www.pheran.com/nv7linux/

Has a proper working redhat 9 nvnet RPM. (I've used it and it works perfectly) :)

nvnet-1.0_0256-2.athlon.rpm is what you need. Put it on a floppy, mount the floppy and copy it across into the linux box.

"sh" is for shell scripts. You would use the RPM commands for pre-compiled RPM binaries.
    edited June 2003
    Bah, last night I managed to get pretty much everything working.

I reinstalled with everything selected for hte RedHat install, and then compiled the nForce drivers myself, worked like a treat.

Just got Samba, WebMin, Apache and MySQL up......... but......

I have a major network problem.

The NIC seems to have its speed capped at like 0.5k a second, over the LAN. Its making Samba unusable and Webmin so slow its almost unusable.

Sometimes it will suddenly rocket and do 20MB at once, but thats it. I am trying to copy 4.5gig of music across, and its been doing it for about 60 mins now and it has only done 157MB.......

The NIC says 100baseT-FD (using mii-tool) and ifconfig says no errors, collisions or dropped packets.

Another thing is While its doing this, the more I leave the machine alone, when I go back to it, the Terminal is really slow and unresponsive, i.e. I can type a few words and it sort of appears a few letters at a time nearly a second later...... it starts to get better again, but its werid.

But the network problem is the biggest issue.

I really need someone to help in deph with this like Trippin or Rob but they are never around anywhere.

:( NS
    edited June 2003
    At the terminal type

Have a look at all your running processes. Is there any taking masses of memory? or CPU?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    may I make a suggestion? Check with these guys, www.flux.org, they are the local linux user's group down here where I live, and they've always been able to help me out.
    edited June 2003
    smbd (Samba) is taking up 99% CPU Usage......... that cant be right, all that its doing is having some remote machine copy some files to it........ VERY SLOWLY.....

Only 3.5MB RAM used by it though.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Here is a pictuar for you to look at....... because you may prefer pictures..... or something......

NS
    edited June 2003
    Nevermind, everything is all set up and working thanks to Rob.

Rob - The MySQL problem is that for some reason it won't connect on "localhost" but does connect on "127.0.0.1" werid huh.

NS