Apple iPhone

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Well, from what I've seen so far, it looks like it's going to be a really, really nice device.

Accelerometers, huge touchscreen (taking cues from the Wii and DS, perhaps?), the thing runs OSX, supports Core Image, and is a PDA, phone, and ipod all in one.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    This point - by - point "live" coverage of the WWDC keynote speech is going on right now at Arstechnica.

This list is directly from Ars' reporter on the scene:

-Widescreen iPod
    -Touchscreen controls
    -2nd mobile phone
    -Breakthrough internet communications device
    -Widescreen iPod, revolutionary mobile phone, breakthrough internet communications device all in ONE DEVICE
    -Called iPhone, officially
    -"Most phones are hard to use, but iPhone is smarter than anything else and is very easy to use
    -Been under years of development
    -Interplay of hardware and software
    -Comparing to blackberry and treo. Nobody wants a stylus, and get rid of the buttons! Make a giant screen.
    -Uses fingers & multitouch, works like "magic"
    -Ignores unintended touches
    -iPhone runs OS X and has "everything you need"
    -Apple "reinvents" the phone
    -iPhone version of OS X runs Core animation, desktop class applications
    -Apple is learning from the iPod--shipping 100 million iPods this year
    -iPhone syncs with iTunes, just like the iPod and syncs all of the media on your phone
    -Has a cradle to sync just like the dock
    -Syncs music, movies, podcasts, TV, photos, contacts, e-mail, notes, bookmarks, calendars, etc. all through iTunes
    -3.5" screen, highest resolution screen ever shipped
    -160 pixels per inch
    -One button on the front, "Home" button
    -11/16" thin
    -On the back, there's a 2 Megapixel camera
    -Takes a SIM card
    -3.5mm headphone jack
    -One switch for sleep and one for wake, integrated speaker
    -When you bring it to your ear, it turns off the display and sound with a proximity sensor
    -iPhone has 3 advanced sensors
    -Has an accelerometer and an ambient light sensor
    -Saves power
    -iPhone has CoverFlow, "You can touch your music"
    -Interface has Cingular logo on top (booo)
    -Clock and battery plus signal at the top
    -"BOOM!"
    -The move to widescreen is automatic, and when done it moves back
    -Sundial moves while loading
    -built-in speaker for iPhone/iPod
    -Visual voicemail
    -Supports GSM + EDGE, WiFi, Bluetooth, quad-band phone
    -Push "phone" button on the bottom of the screen and it changes like Dashboard
    -Big icons: mute, keypad, speaker, add call
    -Make a list of favorites, touch one and call
    -iPhone does e-mail
    -Visual voicemail lets you see all voicemail and click who you want to hear and it plays back over the speaker
    -Play back your voicemail in any order
    -Button for multiple-session SMS messaging
    -Keypad buttons to touch message, has bubbles like iChat
    -Photo feature lets you see all photos, just like iPhoto
    -Use "pinch" to make photos bigger
    -iPhone can use photos as wallpaper
    -Any IMAP or POP e-mail, can support rich HTML e-mail
    -iPhone uses Safari, can use Google Maps, widgets
    -EDGE and WiFi switches automatically
    -Announcing with Yahoo!, free IMAP e-mail to all iPhone customers
    -Push IMAP e-mail
    -Can look at mail in splitscreen view, fullscreen, or preview
    -For web browsing, it can show the whole page and the landscape/portrait switch is automatic
    -Pinch the screen to increase the size of view using MultiTouch or double tap screen
    -Can view multiple web pages
    -Can load multiple pages--one page shrinks somewhat and slides off to the side, similar to the effect in Expose
    -Still shows the whole page though--just double tap and it zooms
    -Change web pages by using "almost" a coverflow to get to a different page
    -iPhone has GPS
    -Stuff like Google Images supports satellite images
    -Google search built-in as well as Google Maps
    -Google's Eric Schmidt says it's like a merge without merging
    -WiMAX is coming
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    iPhone revealed!
    sillyiphone.jpg

[strike]$499[/strike] $599 (or one PS3) with two-year contract. Engadget linky.

Edit: The E said $499 in the story, but it says $599 in a photo of the keynote.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm especially looking forward to the "BOOM!"

I think that's what I've really been missing in my phone.
    edited January 2007
    $499 for the 4gb, $599 for the 8gb
  • edited January 2007
    Stock price was less than 85 in the morning it is hovering around 92 right now. Bulls are riding the stock, I think it will be interesting to watch this stock until next Tuesday when Apple announces the 2006 results, :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    When God said "be fruitful" in Genesis, what he really meant was, "I want an Apple iPhone."
  • edited January 2007
    I just can't convince myself that I need a cell phone worth $600 even if it does do all the rest. I don't like spending that much money on something I can drop and break or something that I don't need. However, I must admit...it's pretty cool, I'm thinking linux modable when I look at it, but I'm sure some people are thinking oh joy osx.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2007
    I really want one of these. It really sucks that it's only going to be available to Cingular customers tho. But I'm willing to pay my cancellation fee with Verizon just to get one of these! My phone now (Verizon Chocolate) is nice and has an MP3 player, but the controls for the MP3 player SUCK! I seriously have been looking for a good all-in-one device that will give me my MP3 player, cell phone, and a decent camera, and I think this is it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Kinda pissed that I got my new phone a month ago. I had no idea that the iPhone would be this freaking sweet. I knew it would be cool but it does literally farking everything. I want one.... BAAAAD.

//edit... I really have to stop reading about this thing. If I don't I'm gonna take my huge cancellation hit and buy it.... Anyone want an iPod?
    edited January 2007
    Squill wrote:
    My phone now (Verizon Chocolate) is nice and has an MP3 player, but the controls for the MP3 player SUCK! I seriously have been looking for a good all-in-one device that will give me my MP3 player, cell phone, and a decent camera, and I think this is it.

My VCast phone's music player controls suck too. I don't know what Verizon was thinking. As a rule, they get good hardware and ruin it.

On the iPhone though, I'm not sure the touchpad will feel right when dialing numbers. But the fact it's a phone is almost incidental compared to the mobile web browsing and music playing. If it's powerful enough and supports a bluetooth portable keyboard (it should), it could replace a laptop in some cases. That could maybe justify the price.

Also, they should put in more flash. It's so effing cheap nowadays.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    God I love working for the Postal Service!...50% off phones here I come!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I get to renew my contract with Cingular in May so if the $600 pricetag is before the renewel discount, I'm getting one. It's just what I'm looking for right now. I need an mp3 player and I'd really like a better phone. If the $600 is with a contract, then I'd have to ask my dad if he would be so kind as to split the bill with me, advance me some cash or I'm S.O.L.
    edited January 2007
    I, too, want one.... Whether one is in the cards for me remains to be seen. "Prospects look dim" :-/
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    edited January 2007
    Oh thrax. one day you'll learn to love stuff that is cool despite the apple logo.
    edited January 2007
    This is the only thing from Apple that <i>has</i> been cool in about 4545352345345345 years.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited January 2007
    A 600 dollar product worth the price? Is it possible? :bs:

I'm glad I'm already a Cingular customer. Maybe I can put off a PC upgrade for a while! :bawling:
    edited January 2007
    Gargoyle has officially lost what interest he had.
    Engadget wrote:
    iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates. Other unfortunate realities about the device:
    • No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
    • No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
    • No expandable memory.
    • No removable battery.
    • No Exchange or Office support.

Link.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, the first party stuff does kinda suck. I only really care about the 3G and the no Office support but I would hope that they are smart enough to put out some kind of upgrade for office support. The 3G is going to be dictated by how long Cingular is in cahoots with them.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I was just going to say that. Apple either need to buy the right to use the name or change it entirely. They can afford to buy it, but it's gonna cost more than i earn in a week. Changing the name would be out of the question.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I am not up on laws, but is there a right to... hell I don't know what to call it. But basically all of Apple's products go by the iSuck naming convention, so they have established a mode of how they name their products... I mean if I bought a product called iPhone, I would expect it to be an Apple product because they have made this naming scheme.

I just don't remember all the details, it's kinda like the McDonald's thing which I think was done in court quite a while back.
    edited January 2007
    Cisco had the name first. The end. Apple is in an uphill battle.
    edited January 2007
    I thought they were close to an agreement on using the name, but apparently Jobs announcing the iPhone before the agreement was finalized rubbed Cisco the wrong way.

Personally I think Apple missed a chance to drop their iStuff naming convention that's bound to old sooner or later.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    i hope apple gets what they deserve (altho i like this phone to some degree)

i would not get this phone right away, mainly because of no 3rd party stuff, that is why i love my nokia 7610, lots of little apps to find and install.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    * No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.

- Most likely because Cingular doesn't support 3G everywhere yet. Closest Cingular 3G network to Oklahoma City is Tulsa or DFW. Until Cingular gets better 3G coverage, there's no reason for Apple to drop a 3G phone, but once that happens, they can tout it as a new model. iPhone Extreme perhaps?

* No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.

- Probably a good thing. People shouldn't be buying episodes of Lost or Fergie singles while driving.

* No expandable memory.

- 4GB or 8GB seems like enough to me. Maybe it's just me. What's the biggest card you can get for a Blackberry? 2GB? hmm..

* No removable battery.

- I've yet to remove the battery in my RAZR. I don't see this as a problem.

* No Exchange or Office support.

- Yay a real issue! It need to do Office to be viable for business use. Wikipedia says it supports Exchange already, but I don't know enough about that to say.

For the general public, I think it's a great phone. I think I'll get one since I don't have an iPod yet and the Google Maps feature would be great for when I'm driving around town trying to find the location of an event or news story. It is what it is, and what it is is attractive to me.

Oh, and one more thing... Big business won't adopt it because it has a digital camera and the guys with high security clearances often times tend to be the ones who use a PDA.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm sure most will want to get the 8gb version=== $599.
    Then what's the monthly cost to have all the options usable.
    Phone contract,music DL service,gps service,internet service, etc....
    That's going to be some whopping bill/contract.
    And I'm sure there's not going to be a whole lot of choice who you get each service from.
    That said.. It's a great idea incorporating all those ideas into one system.
    Maybe kick the 2 megapixel on the camera up to 4 or 5 megapixel.
    No 3rd party stuff usable with their equipment is a bummer too.
    They should set up a package deal like --They give you 1/2 off the price for a 2 or 3 yr contract.
    Now that would probably sell a bunch of them.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    This is the only thing from Apple that <i>has</i> been cool in about 4545352345345345 years.

*Insert "I'm with Stooopid" emoticon......

Watched the press conference, I think the in-crowd Applebots would have cheered if Jobs said he had to go to the bathroom.......

Apple, as with other Co.s, have a tendancy to over-hype, and under-produce. I'll maintain a "wait n see" attitude until I can see one in action.
    edited January 2007
    * No removable battery.

- I've yet to remove the battery in my RAZR. I don't see this as a problem.

But batteries dying in iPods have been a problem, and they're not user-replaceable. That's one reason I bought a Sansa instead - I can swap the battery myself if I ever need to.

I'm just disappointed because this iPhone could have been all things to all people with a couple more features (mainly 3rd-party software), but that's not what Apple is about. The hardware is capable, but the personality cult is restrictive.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Fussing about iPod batteries is soooo 2003.

It's only a matter of time until somebody figures out how to get 3rd party software onto the iPhone anyways. Should people have to hack their phone to do it? Probably not. But in one way or another, it'll happen. Linux guys can't keep their hands off stuff like this.