Computer wont start, No Noise, Fans dont startup?

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hello,

The other day i replaced my old power supply (which was a Antec SilentPower 2.0 500W)
as i was having some problems with it, started making a strong plasticy smell etc..

I replaced it with a new Corsair HX520, i put all the cables in correctly just
like before with my old PSU.

When i switched on the computer now it wont go.
I looked over all the cabling etc... to check connections were all put
together securely and still i can not see what the problem is.

There is power coming though as when i switch on the mains the green LED
on the mother board comes on, also any USB devices i have connected
to the computer light up aswell along with the LED by the LAN socket,
but when it comes to switching the computer on nothing happenes
no noise, no fans start - nothing at all.

So i am at a loss at what the problem could be??

I thought it may be a faulty PSU,
but is that still possible even though i can see lights on the mother board etc...

Also for narrowing things down it would not matter if the cable's to
the HDD and CD/DVD drives didnt work, as the computer would still boot TO THE BIOS
and make a noise starting up without them working??

Also which cable from the PSU would give power to the motherboard LED and USB perhiperal
lights is it the 4PIN cable or the 24PIN Cable?

Thanks for any help your able to offer.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Can you try putting the old PSU back in there just long enough to see if it will work properly with that one? If it does, you may have just gotten hold of a dud PSU.

You might also want to check that the 110V/220V switch on the back of the PSU is in the correct position for your area.

Resetting the BIOS is worth a shot, too. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You need to make sure that both the 20 pin and 4 pin connectors are snapped in tight. Also make sure that you didn't disturb any of the fan connections to the mobo. If the BIOS does not detect a CPU fan it will often keep from booting.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The 4 pin is 12 volt circuit for things like fans and Sata HDs. The other 24 pin is for 12 volt plus lower voltages.

Try plugging in just the 24 pin connector and skip the 4 pin. Also try to not have any fan except the CPU fan and North bridge fan plugged in and see if BIOS appears. If BIOS does not appear that way, I think the motherboard is bad also-- sorry to say that, but what you have looks like a motherboard.

The other possibility is a bad surge strip, so repeat the above plugged right into the mains.