Monitor Problems

ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have an annoying large problem.

My monitor is an Acer 17" LCD; AL 1711 (says in top right of the monitor) with 16ms. Native resolution is 1280x1024.

I year or so ago while playing Need for Speed Most Wanted I had my old GPU, which was really old, so I had to turn down the setting and put the resolution one step lower from my monitors native, to 1024x768. Now, one time when I played, I noticed that a part of the side got cut off, and it was either the left or the right side of the monitor.

Now, it seems that my monitor is so crappy that I can't scale it at all, just move the image to center. It was annoying, especially while playing Oblivion, I couldn't play on native cuz of lag, nor on 1024 cuz of image cut off, so I had to go with 800x600. I survived, but today, when for the first time playing the new 2.8 version of Americas Army, it happened again, with my native resolution!!!

I joined a server, and I noticed that a part of the text is missing. I auto-positioned the image with my monitors button, but it didn't help.

This is so much more annoying than the smaller res, cause it's the native resolution and the biggest allowed, and I'm very used to it.

Anyone had similar problems?

EDIT: Forgot to say that I have a Geforce 7600 GS (PNY).

I just went to the NVidia Control Panel and set the settings to 1280x1024, but improved the refresh rate and put it to 70hz. It worked, and it works for the lower res too, but whenever going back to 60hz the problem still remains. :(

I'm worried that I'm going to have problems with games where I can't set the refresh rate!

BTW, wasn't sure in what section I should post this, but since I saw a few threads with monitor-Q's here, I too, posted it here. :)

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Did you reset your Windows Display settings as well from your Control Panel (Appearance Themes/Display)? If not you have created a system conflict between the NVidia Controller and your Windows Display controller. I had a similar problem and it resolved itself once I reset both to match and then did a reboot. If that does not solve the problem you may need to reload or up-date the controller to match it to the monitor. Some monitors like my Dell Trinitron 21 Inch (no joke) have settings on the monitor itself which will just WOW any gamer on clarity and size. If yours has settings try playing with them if all else fails.
  • ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
    edited January 2007
    Umm, what do you mean by reset? Should I set both to the same res and refresh rate?

If I change one of them, the change appears in the other too.
  • edited January 2007
    Okay, your system is functioning properly. If you have XP and have downloaded SP2, it has been creating havoc with some video drivers. I had to reload the disk with my NVida driver, then go to NVida site and get an update. I happen to have an older functioning monitor, so I was able to quickly determine it was in fact my Video card or driver. I actually pulled my video card, and used the onboard driver as a test to be sure nothing was going haywire on my Motherboard. When it all worked fine, I realized my card or driver was the problem. When I reloaded the driver software and tested it, it worked fine .... until I started it up the next day. The same thing was happening all over again, so I went straight to NVida site and downloaded their updated driver, has worked ever since. My Son had a similar problem but his turned out to be an address issue with his FIREWALL (Microsoft) Program..he switched to AOL and used their complete security system and it likewise fix the issue. If you even have an older functional card, you might try that to further isolate the problem if it continues to exist. Personally, I would pull the card and see if the system still malfunctions if you do not have a spare monitor to check. Worse case is that your Motherboard has a problem...usually caused by audio/video cards over drawing wattage and getting spikes of over heating. When we set up our system, we went to 450 Watt power packs and spent an extra $10 for a secondary fan. When you have problems like this, while the monitor type is helpful, stating computer make/model and OS would be of great help as well..and any additional cards you may be running and whether you have a stock set up or have added a larger power supply, fan, etc. Good luck.
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the quick and extensive reply. :)

My PSU is only 250W, so I fear it being that. I also have my old GPU, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, but I wouldn't like to switch to that, especially after the Problems with installing the driver I had. :(

Could I just try with the newest drivers?

I think I'm gonna do that first. Then, **** happens! :(
  • edited January 2007
    I was afraid you were going to say it was a standard PSU. ANY of the newer Video Cards call for a MINIMUM of 300 Watt and a preference of 350 or higher. You may have well damaged your Video circuitry on board or worse yet just starting to see the Motherboard reacting from heat stress internally. I know when my Daughter FRIED her system...the PSU connectors to the Motherboard were crisp and brittle. I sent her to Ebay (US) and she got a Refurbished Computer from Anna's Electronics, with a 3 year warranty added on for less than $250, a Gateway Media Center 505GR. For $100 more I added a secondary hard drive, upped the PSU from the 350W to 450W and popped in a secondary fan; then I took her CD out and popped in the old DVD/CD R-W unit and stacked it below her primary DVD R-W Double Layer Burner. The card was unscathed, so obviously it got popped back in. Much faster unit and just a low hum from the fan even on the highest graphic demands DOOM 3 can offer and detail is perfect with no lag. My Son got a HP and I was amazed at how much their quality has improved since the late 90's; excellent customer support and even recommendations on fixes...they even pinged in to tell him (with his permission) that there was an up-dated video driver available..made quite a difference. I would reload the driver and check the system, from the original CD if you have it, if not go to the NVida site and download it. Even so, I would visit then about any up-graded drivers for that card, especially since the SP2 release of XP has created some problems with a few systems. Worst case....hope you were looking for an up-grade on your computer..best case...the driver just needed up-dating and you can grab an extra fan to cool down your over draw until you can get a 350W PSU. Good luck to you. Trust me...I have been through this same problem more than once, usually in trouble shooting my friends systems. By the way, if you are interesting in converting audio cassettes or even phonograph records to MP3, you ought to try as FREEWARE, AUDACITY or give MICROSOFT PLUS! MEDIA EDITION a free trial spin...both are wonderful analog to digital converters!
    Pop me a line and let me know how things went.
    darrylladevine@aol.com
    edited January 2007
    I'm so ****ing happy right now! I went through 2 hours of find a suitable driver, and I'm now using 97.92 (only for G80), but with a modded .INF to make it useable for other cards too. It's got some problems (Check out the guys I love :)), and I even have one or two of those games with problems, but at least it's now working, with 60 hz, and *checking*, and now even with 1024x760!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the help, Darrylladevine! (Hope I spelled your name right... :(), really appreciate it!

Well, vista drivers are the solution, it seems ;)

That's now my 3rd solved problem, so it's 3-1, there's one problem you guys hasn't solved. Don't worry about it though. :)
  • edited January 2007
    I am happy it did indeed turn out to be a conflict in Up Dates and Driver address, sure beats a Motherboard problem. Would still recommend you get a secondary fan for your PSU, you are driving it pretty hard. Can save Mega Bucks next time. So, what is the UNSOLVED issue? By the way, keep checking for DRIVER UPDATES on NVida site for YOUR DRIVER. Several of the Companies are still in the process of doing UPDATES to solve numerous address conflicts. Some even have a NOTIFY ME OF UPDATES section, which is a real wonderful thing! Glad to help.
    edited January 2007
    Check the threads I started ;)

I'm looking for an installer creator software that can make the pc copy/delete etc. things.

Anyway, it's not a big deal anyway.

None of the drivers at nvidia.com (Geforce or Geforce Go 7) doesn't work on my computer. :(