Stress Prime 2004 Orthos Ed. Errors

PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Originally user had issue w/ file corruption and slow unstable system
Ran FULL Seagate Tools diag. on HDD - passed ok
Ran > 3 passes of MEMTEST86 w/ no errors

Decided to run SP2004 Orthos Ed. over night (w/in OS (XP PROSP2))
Started Test: BLEND-STRESS CPU AND RAM
Kept getting the error (w/ minor variations w/ respect to duration)
Duration: 39 seconds (varied w/in a few seconds w/ ea. test)
CPU Speed: 2992 MHz
Test: Blend- stress CPU and RAM
Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length
FATAL ERROR: Writing to temp file.
Torture Test ran 0 minutes 35 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

Switched to test:
StressCPU-stress CPU with Gromacs core (So far running ok)

Other test options are:
Small FFTs-stress CPU
Large, in-place FFTs-stress some RAM

I'd be greatful for ya'll's feedback.
I'd think RAM but why would it make more than 3 passes of MEMTEST86 ok and fail almost immediately w/in OS.

Thankyou in advance

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    More specifice re: the memory are...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It's a CPU issue. The voltage needs to be increased, or the CPU is going bad.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    It's a CPU issue. The voltage needs to be increased, or the CPU is going bad.
    Thanx for responding Thrax. I ran the "StressCPU-stress CPU with Gromacs core" test for 7+hrs w/ no errors. This a.m. I started the blended test again and now it's running w/ no errors (so far for nearly an hour)! :scratch:

Note: When I first started the test, I may have initiated it from my pen drive. That shouldn't matter, however, once it's in memory, right? Except it's gonna want to put the log file somewhere. When I remove the pen drive it might balk (which I did).

Later, I copied the diag off the pen drive and onto the HDD and ran it from there.
    edited January 2007
    Ok, it's been running in blended mode w/ no errors for 2hrs 18mins.

I'm going to shut it down for an hour. Unplug power. Let it cool down. Then run Orthos again in blended mode on next startup. (to see if there's a thermal-related problem....)

I'm still open to feed back. This is the first time that I've used this utility and encountered an error. In fact, this is only the 2nd system I've ever run the utility on. (I just learned about it recently here on SM.)

TIA, ya'll!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Blended mode usually begins with the Large FFT (ram stress) mode ...not always but mostly. I've run the cpu stress and gotten no errors before but gotten errors within minutes when running the ram stress.
    Usually more voltage is needed somewhere ...as thrax mentioned. Sometimes in mem timings can be the culprit though.
    I would guess that if memtest runs fine at certain settings then ram could be ruled out.
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Blended mode usually begins with the Large FFT (ram stress) mode ...not always but mostly. I've run the cpu stress and gotten no errors before but gotten errors within minutes when running the ram stress.
    Usually more voltage is needed somewhere ...as thrax mentioned. Sometimes in mem timings can be the culprit though.
    I would guess that if memtest runs fine at certain settings then ram could be ruled out.
    Thankyou csimon. That's good info. I just got back. Will fire up the system & run Large FFT to be sure as well.

Thankyou again.
    edited January 2007
    After the initial errors that were generated, I did the following:

"CPU w/ Gromacs core" test
    ran 7hrs w/ no errors

"Blend - stress CPU and RAM" test
    ran 2hrs 29mins w/ no errors

Shut system down and removed power for > 2hrs

"Blend - stress CPU and RAM" test
    ran 18hrs 59mins w/ no errors

"Large, in-place FFTs - stress some RAM" test
    ran 4hrs w/ no errors

I've come to the conclusion that yours truly introduced the errors initially generated by removing the USB pen drive that I, at first, initiated the test from. In any case I was unable to repeat those results that caused me concern in the beginning.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like you've successfully diagnosed the issue. :) I see nothing wrong with your methodology.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Sounds like you've successfully diagnosed the issue. :) I see nothing wrong with your methodology.
    Thankyou, Thrax. I really do appreciate the feedback. Well, now it's on to finding out what the real problem w/ the system is.

Thanx again!