Audio broken!

edited January 2007 in Hardware
ok, today, i acquired an old amp, very old. i was thinking of making it an amp for a dedicated subwoofer for my computer 5.1 system. i was trying to get it to work by playing some bassy music on my computer, and plugging it different ports on the amplifier (lots and lots of unlabeled ports).

so anyway i was plugging in and out, listening for any sound. then, one port i plugged it in, there was a spark between the plug and the socket on the amplifier. i thought it was nothing, but then i noticed a high pitched sound coming from all my speakers, even the subwoofer, kind of like the whining noise a plane makes while its engines are idling at an airport, but really soft (best way i can currently think of describing it). in a panic i turned off my computer, and killed power to it.

i turned it back on after a minute or so and was relieved to find that sound was working again (windows startup sound). then when i tried to play music, with sub hooked up to previous 40W amp, there was and is absolutely not a peep from it. i have tried the sub and 40W amp on my bros computer and can assure you that it is working.

am i now led to believe that it lie with the sound card, or the computer in general. my question is, how can i make my subwoofer line out work again!

thanks in advance

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Update: i have just tried adjusting LFE crossover frequency to 300Hz (any frequency below this goes to sub) and can actually feel the tiniest of vibrations, in beat with any song i had playing. there is some life but so so small that even with computer volume right up, and amp volume right up, it is stil inaudible, though tiny vibrations can be felt on the cone of the actual subwoofer. in need help guys! any pros around here got any ideas?

thanks, kefarto