Internet Explorer 7

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
Anyone using it? I started using it at work this week because doing support for an isp for a living, we have customers who are now downloading it.

I like it more than when I used it at first. I think it seems to load sites a little faster than Firefox. But I have had it crash three times so far tonight using it at home. Are there many vulnerabilities for IE7 now? I would like to use it more, but I haven't used Internet Explorer in so long I feel evil using it, lol.

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    Anyone using it? I started using it at work this week because doing support for an isp for a living, we have customers who are now downloading it.

I like it more than when I used it at first. I think it seems to load sites a little faster than Firefox. But I have had it crash three times so far tonight using it at home. Are there many vulnerabilities for IE7 now? I would like to use it more, but I haven't used Internet Explorer in so long I feel evil using it, lol.
    Hi ya Clutch
    In the beginning I tried to keep my customers from downloading it but couldn't, in the end, fight the tide. Fortunately, unless the user has an older system whose resources are low or insufficient, (or unless there are other pre-existing problems) I haven't seen any problems w/ it.

I don't know about additional vulnerabilities other than the usual - MS products are the largest target for malware and such. Perhaps others will have more on that.

W/ regard to my own computers...I was reticent to say the least about running IE7 on any of my systems. I'd switched over to Mozilla FF a long time ago and wasn't keen on giving IE another chance. Long story short, however, I tipped my toe in the water w/ one computer. Tried it out for a while. Got the hang of it and decided I liked it. Went ahead and installed it on both my multi-boot desktop systems (XPPRO & XPMCE). (I've kept it off my old PII laptop, though.) On my computers it's pretty snappy. Haven't had any issues w/ it crashing, etc. It does include a "Safe Mode". (Look in your System Tools directory and you'll find it stashed over there. (why, I don't know).) In addition, there's some added functionality in Internet Options particularly w/ respect to managing add-ons that I like as well.

I like the tabs and some other new features. But, my favorite is the tabs. You can also configure it to open more than one page when you open the browser. You can set up more than one home page and choose whether or not you want all of them or just one of them to open w/ the browser, etc.
    There's a search engine drop down list in the upper right that you can add or remove items from. There are one or two things that I don't like about it (where the home icon is for instance) but other than that, I've actually been pretty happy w/ it (knocking on wood!).
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't used it since it crashed those three times on me tonight, but I will give it another shot. I'm shocked to actually hear myself say that I like Internet Explorer really, lol. I also tried to keep our customers away from the installation, but you can't stop 'em all, lol. I didn't know you could set it to open multiple sites and all, neat option there.

I managed to set google as the default search at the top, didn't go to deep into it because of the crashes. I don't go to any sites that I do not trust, or think that they may contain spyware and all. So I might do the switch for a while, or use FireFox and IE7 together.

I'm not gonna give up on it totally because it has some cool features.
    edited January 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't used it since it crashed those three times on me tonight, but I will give it another shot. I'm shocked to actually hear myself say that I like Internet Explorer really, lol. I also tried to keep our customers away from the installation, but you can't stop 'em all, lol. I didn't know you could set it to open multiple sites and all, neat option there.

I managed to set google as the default search at the top, didn't go to deep into it because of the crashes. I don't go to any sites that I do not trust, or think that they may contain spyware and all. So I might do the switch for a while, or use FireFox and IE7 together.

I'm not gonna give up on it totally because it has some cool features.
    I'd start w/ the add-ons to trouble-shoot the crashing problems. Go in to Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Manage Add-ons button

You might check your BHOs, too.

Same here. I was shocked and somewhat chagrined to find that I like IE now as well. I have to give it to them. They (MS) came around in a lot of respects w/ the release of their new browser.
    edited January 2007
    I have been using it since about 1:00 a.m. so far no crashes. Two of them just took me to a send, or do not sent error report. And then I had one that actually stated that Flash caused it to crash. Gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best. I really like the clear font though of the new IE, sites are so much easier for me to read now.
    edited January 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    I have been using it since about 1:00 a.m. so far no crashes. Two of them just took me to a send, or do not sent error report. And then I had one that actually stated that Flash caused it to crash. Gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best. I really like the clear font though of the new IE, sites are so much easier for me to read now.
    Good to hear it. Remember, if you've been using Mozilla FF exclusively for some time, problems that have been lurking w/ respect to IE may surface now that you've started using it again. I've found the primary issues are normally related to Add-ons and BHOs. Making sure the Add-ons are up-to-date and that there aren't any unnecessary (or malicious) BHOs can go a long way towards making IE behave.

Enjoy! :)
  • Island-DogIsland-Dog St. Cloud, FL.
    edited January 2007
    I primarily use Firefox, but I also need to use IE for my job as well. I really haven't had any problems with it, but I can't stand the bookmark manager in it though.

My biggest problem problem with FF is the amount of memory it is using.
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I know what you mean Island Dog. Sometimes if I leave FF running for a day or so, it uses a lot of memory. And I usually leave my browser open all the time with various pages that I like to check over.

Each time IE has crashed on me, it always seems like flash is the problem, maybe Adobe will release some kind of patch soon to take care of that. I have all the latest flash updates.
  • Island-DogIsland-Dog St. Cloud, FL.
    edited January 2007
    I can have FF open for 15 minutes with two or three tabs and it will hit over 150mb. IE isn't great either, but it never hits over 100mb.