Logitech MX610 Stuttering

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Ok, I've had this laser mouse for quite some time, and its always stuttered. I've tried to figure it out. I've read a couple places that the culprit is the SetPoint software, but without it, my buttons are useless.

I know its not just low batteries because I just replaced them. Does anyone have any idea on this? The stuttering drives me nuts!

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2007
    Have you tried a different mouse pad ?.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Ok, I've had this laser mouse for quite some time, and its always stuttered. I've tried to figure it out. I've read a couple places that the culprit is the SetPoint software, but without it, my buttons are useless.

I know its not just low batteries because I just replaced them. Does anyone have any idea on this? The stuttering drives me nuts!
    If it's the software you may be stuck. I have one or two ideas you might want to futz w/ though. In my experience, optical mice are very fussy about the surface they have to bounce the light off of - they especially don't like shiny surfaces. To that end, you might try, as GrayFox mentioned, a different surface or mouse pad. Something else you might want to futz w/ is the location of the mouse radio (transmitter/receiver) relative to the position of the mouse (and any other radios you may be using for other devices).
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Well, its a laser mouse, so the surface isn't supposed to matter, but yes I have tested different things. And as far as the receiver is concerned, it plugs straight into the usb port and looks like a flash drive. So I can't really reposition it. Its only about a meter away at any rate. The stuttering seems to escalate when CPU usage spikes, or actually, it seems to go away for the most part when I kill folding.

If I kill setPoint then every thing is hunky dory. Except for the buttons on the mouse that I have set up for my multi-media functions. I personally don't like setPoint anyway because it gobbles up 12mb of ram for the simple task that it does. Are there any alternatives?
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited January 2007
    I use a similar device and it seriously is a pain.

Does the stuttering still occur if you use the mouse closer to the receiver ? 1 metre is still too far away to use these things.

If you see it works far better when you are close to the receiver, then what you need is a usb extension cable to use between the receiver and the usb port of your desktop in order to get the desired distance away from the desktop.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    I use a similar device and it seriously is a pain.
    Does the stuttering still occur if you use the mouse closer to the receiver ? 1 metre is still too far away to use these things.
    If you see it works far better when you are close to the receiver, then what you need is a usb extension cable to use between the receiver and the usb port of your desktop in order to get the desired distance away from the desktop.
    Did this help in your case nonstop301? (moving the mouse radio (reciever/transmitter) closer to the mouse.) I'm interested to know as I've had users w/ the same or similar problems. And yes, it is a pain, isn't it?! :rolleyes2
    edited January 2007
    it doesn't help at all, in fact, when I kill setpoint the is almost no stuttering at all. Except for when I first use the mouse, but that is expected.
    edited January 2007
    Did this help in your case nonstop301? (moving the mouse radio (reciever/transmitter) closer to the mouse.)

Yes, in my case it is a matter of bringing the transmitter closer to the mouse. There's stuttering or no response at all when the mouse is 1 metre or more away from the tranmitter.

Airbornflight are you saying that even if you have the mouse right by the transmitter you still get stuttering ? If that's what going on then it's most likely a fault in the transmitter.
    edited January 2007
    Did this help in your case nonstop301? (moving the mouse radio (reciever/transmitter) closer to the mouse.)

Yes, in my case it is a matter of bringing the transmitter closer to the mouse. There's stuttering or no response at all when the mouse is 1 metre or more away from the tranmitter.

Airbornflight are you saying that even if you have the mouse right by the transmitter you still get stuttering ? If that's what going on then it's most likely a fault in the transmitter.

______
    //EDIT:

I'm not familiar with the setpoint software and it didn't come with the laser mouse I use. You can try to reprogram the buttons with setpoint but this time keep the mouse very close to the transmitter when you do so.

Apologies for the double posting as well :)
    edited January 2007
    No, what im saying is the mouse works when it is 10 feet away from the transmitter or 3 feet. What I'm saying is that it is the POS SetPoint software logitech shoved off on me that is causing the problems. Because the stuttering only occurs when SetPoint is running, and SetPoint chokes even worse when CPU usage tops out; such as when I am folding at 100%.

Maybe you aren't quite getting it. All the mouse and buttons function without setpoint. But the default use of the buttons is not what I want to use them for. SetPoint allows me to remap those buttons to other functions, which I have them all set to F key key presses. Since I use an old keyboard and have foobar set up with Global Keyboard shortcuts for Play, Pause, Next, Previous, Stop, Vol. Up, Vol. Down. I just need to find a more efficient program that wont gobble up the ram and turn my mouse into an unreliable pos.