Atx psu to Eatx mobo

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Is there such a thing?
I have an antec true blue 480w power supply I'm trying to use on dads A8R-MVP. So basically the problem is I have a 20pin connection from the psu to a 24pin receptor on the motherboard.

Solution anyone?

Thanks
csimon:csimon:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You can get 20->24 adapters, but there are reports of system instability. The extra four pins is another 5v connection, if I recall correctly, that doesn't exist if you use a 20->24.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Is there such a thing?
    I have an antec true blue 480w power supply I'm trying to use on dads A8R-MVP. So basically the problem is I have a 20pin connection from the psu to a 24pin receptor on the motherboard.

Solution anyone?

Thanks
    csimon:csimon:

Try just pluging in the 20pin connector and the P4 12V connector it might just work off the bat.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Well the 20pin will fit into the 24pin socket no problem ...here is the layout according to the mobo manual:

+3v Ground
    +12v +5v
    +12v +5v
    +5standby +5v
    Power ok -5v
    Ground Ground
    +5v Ground
    Ground Ground
    +5v PSON#
    Ground Ground
    +3v -12v
    +3v +3v

Basically it won't reach the top 4 pins thus:
    +3v Ground
    +12v +5v
    are left disconnected.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    You can get 20->24 adapters, but there are reports of system instability. The extra four pins is another 5v connection, if I recall correctly, that doesn't exist if you use a 20->24.
    Should I find one at my local Geek Squad store?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Probably not. You're better off going to CompUSA or Microcenter.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Probably not. You're better off going to CompUSA or Microcenter.
    Well ...I'm thinking here.
    I may just get a new psu for this system.
    I have the A8RMVP with an Opteron 170 ...I won't oc much past default voltages (1.40v). I also have a 7800gt. Other than that fans & cd/dvd burner.
    What would Best Buy stock normally that you would recommend? Preferably inexpensive with a 2-3 year life span at least.
    Would you attempt to boot with the 20pin alone?
    edited January 2007
    Well ...I kinda gave up and put it all away til next weekend. Til then I'll hunt for something new ...and hopefully inexpensive.
    I didn't try to boot with the 20pin getup ...it just didn't seem worth pulling all of those wires again. I know now why I like modular. Too bad I can't find another Super FLower 550W like mine. The TTGI doesn't seem too available anymore either.
    How about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159040