mobo swap = boot problem.. need help

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi, i just swaped my old asus p4s533 for a newer a7n8x motherboard. I reconnected everything properly and when i booted the pc everything seemed ok, but it would not run windows. Tthe grey loading bar would start and then the computer would restart again. I tried running awdflash.exe from a floppy and from that i tried running the new bios. it started this loading bar and after it finished it the computer restarted, but all that happend was that the power was on, the led was lit, fans were spining but nothing was happening on the monitor. i tried switching my hard drive to the original hard drive that was with the a7n8x, but that didnt change anything.

Im a bit of a noob so id love some simple instructions to this complicated task, thank you in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    bluntly speaking:

You can not swap a motherboard and have the installation of Windows from the old motherboard work on the new one. You need to either reformat your hard drive and install Windows anew on the new board, or you need to conduct a repair install on the p4s533's installation of Windows now that it's plugged into the a7n8x.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,
    I think you did not uninstall the VGA, AGP, and IDE drivers of the previous motherboard before the replacing it. Now the old drivers are creating conflict with the new motherboard's different chipset. I suspect booting with the failsafe option will not help either. I can only suggest two options other than wiping out your harddisk and doing a clean install which is the most obvious method.

- Do a repair install with your Windows installation CD. All of your applications, and settings will be retained but you will need to reinstall the device drivers and service packs.
    - Reinstall your old motherboard. You should be able to boot into Windows again. This time, uninstall AGP, IDE, VGA drivers and install Windows generic drivers instead before shutting down Windows last time. Then, reinstall the new motherboard. This time Windows should boot and detect the new motherboard without such problems.

I used the second method many times to replace motherboards without reinstalling Windows. Hope these help, good luck!
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for your help guys ill try that, but i got a question, how come when i switched the hard drive to one that has the new motherboards drivers on it still didnt boot.
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited January 2007
    Good replies Thrax and mirage :)

That's what I did when I upgraded a motherboard but forgot to uninstall chipset and other device drivers. I knew it was wrong but I was a little lazy, however the repair Windows installation corrected the problem and allowed me to install the proper chipset and device drivers for the new motherboard