No Windows boot after graphics card install

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I'm already asking for help :rolleyes2

Today I have purchased and installed a new graphics card for this work computer.

It's a Geforce FX 5500 AGP card.

After booting the computer Windows now hangs on the boot screen. The blue loading bar does not move at all and freezes. I tried 2 different Windows XP SP2 installs on different partitions and both freeze at the same point. Running safe mode shows that windows hangs when trying to load the driver gagp30kx.sys. I even tried reinstalling Windows, however even the Windows CD does not get past the point "Press any key to boot from CD.."

Removing the card and using the on-board VGA video works fine and Windows boots flawless.

The motherboard is a VIA Chipset M861G.

I have tried several settings in the BIOS like enabling/disabling IRQ for the on-board PCI, setting PCI on-board or AGP as default display device and so on..

So far on another forum people have only suggested renaming/disabling the gagp30kx.sys driver, however since this is an AGP card this would not lead anywhere according to my knowledge..

I'm sure the card is properly connected and I have now tried everything I can do.. so I hope someone here has more suggestions.

Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited January 2007
    Hi :wave: Welcome to Short Media - don't worry most of us noobie's started out by asking for help :)

Just a few questions for you so we get a better picture

Did you disable the onboard graphics before installing the AGP card

Has the AGP seated properly

Did you un-install the onboard graphic drivers - before installing the AGP drivers
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,

Yes it is properly seated and I uninstalled the drivers completely on the one windows partition.

There is no option to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS, just select between AGP or PCI as default display. So i picked AGP.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited January 2007
    Hi 66mhz

Sorry hardware not my forte - Hardware guys & gals will help I'm sure :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    66mhz wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Today I have purchased and installed a new graphics card for this work computer.

After booting the computer Windows now hangs on the boot screen. The blue loading bar does not move at all and freezes. I tried 2 different Windows XP SP2 installs on different partitions and both freeze at the same point. Running safe mode shows that windows hangs when trying to load the driver gagp30kx.sys. I even tried reinstalling Windows, however even the Windows CD does not get past the point "Press any key to boot from CD.."

Removing the card and using the on-board VGA video works fine and Windows boots flawless.

I have tried several settings in the BIOS like enabling/disabling IRQ for the on-board PCI, setting PCI on-board or AGP as default display device and so on..

So far on another forum people have only suggested renaming/disabling the gagp30kx.sys driver, however since this is an AGP card this would not lead anywhere according to my knowledge..

I'm sure the card is properly connected and I have now tried everything I can do.. so I hope someone here has more suggestions.

Thanks a lot in advance

Is the card brand new? there could be a possibilty you got a bad card... I am thinking back to issues like this and what fixed it...
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    66mhz wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Hello 66mhz. Welcome to Short Media!
    You've done a very good job providing us w/ details re: what you've obseved and the steps you've taken. Thankyou.

(1) You're trying this adapter on the same system but in different OS builds (multi-boot system), yes?
    (2) Each of the OS builds is a client OS XPSP2 or XPMCE, yes?
    (3) Has this system (computer) ever used anything other than the onboard video?
    (4) Do you have another (different model) AGP card you can try (borrow it from another system temporarily) to see how the system responds?

Here's some info. from NVidia re: the WHQL where this card is concerned. The drivers for this card were updated to comply w/ the WHQL.

The motherboard is a PCChips model M861G (version ?) w/ VIA chipset K8M800. You can find a review + info. re: the motherboard here.

You might want to consider updating your BIOS and chipset drivers. You'll need to determine your motherboard revision no. You can usually find the revision no. etched on the motherboard somewhere near the model no. of the board.

PCChips Home Page
    PCChips model M851 version 1.6A downloads
    PCChips model M851 version 3.61 downloads
  • edited January 2007
    (1) You're trying this adapter on the same system but in different OS builds (multi-boot system), yes?
    (2) Each of the OS builds is a client OS XPSP2 or XPMCE, yes?
    (3) Has this system (computer) ever used anything other than the onboard video?
    (4) Do you have another (different model) AGP card you can try (borrow it from another system temporarily) to see how the system responds?

Hello,

Sledgehammer: Yes the card is new.

1) Yes its a multi boot system one is my normal work installation, the other is a fresh xp installation that is untouched in terms of drivers besides the basic sound drivers, etc.. Both installations hang and so does the actual XP install cd when booting

2) yes both are XP SP2

3 & 4) I tried using an old geforce 4 earlier and it boots fine on that.

Later tonight I will look out for the motherboard revision number and eventually try to update the bios. I have already updated the chipset drivers using old via 4-in-1 drivers and newer via drivers.. no luck :(

Thanks for your help so far everyone.
    edited January 2007
    66mhz wrote:
    Hello,
    1) Yes its a multi boot system one is my normal work installation, the other is a fresh xp installation that is untouched in terms of drivers besides the basic sound drivers, etc.. Both installations hang and so does the actual XP install cd when booting
    2) yes both are XP SP2
    Later tonight I will look out for the motherboard revision number and eventually try to update the bios. I have already updated the chipset drivers using old via 4-in-1 drivers and newer via drivers.. no luck :(
    Thanks for your help so far everyone.
    Hmmmm..... Then it may very well be the card or a compatibility issue w/ your motherboard. But, the fact that you can get into safe mode conflicts w/ that point. That leads us back to a drivers issue.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Check the motherboard for a jumper to disable the onboard video...if simply inserting the card does not disable it, you may be getting a conflict because the OS cannot choose correctly.
    edited January 2007
    66mhz wrote:
    Hello,
    2) yes both are XP SP2
    Later tonight I will look out for the motherboard revision number and eventually try to update the bios. I have already updated the chipset drivers using old via 4-in-1 drivers and newer via drivers.. no luck :(...
    BTW, Thankyou for answering the questions, 66mhz. That's very helpful.

If RyderOCZ's suggestion doesn't work, please, try the following:

Boot into Safe Mode With Networking
    Rename gagp30kx.sys --> to gagp30kx.sys.OLD
    Right click on the video adapter in Device Manager and choose UPDATE DRIVER
    Select the YES, THIS TIME ONLY radio button
    Click NEXT

Let's see if Microsoft deliver's an updated driver for you...

If not, you can go HERE for nVidia's ForceWare. I haven't tried running nVidia's ForceWare in Safe Mode b4...so, I'm not sure if it'll work...
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,

I just finally found the manual for my motherboard, it seems there is no way to disable the onboard VGA by jumper settings. The manual says to use a AGP card set the BIOS to PCI (??) which will automatically disable the onboard video when an AGP card is used.

And I think some of you misunderstood. I can't get into the actual windows safe mode. When I boot windows in safe mode I can see the drivers loading up to the one i described above. Then it hangs.

So now there is nothing left I could try besides a BIOS update?

Thanks to everyone so far for helping out!
    edited January 2007
    66mhz wrote:
    Hi,
    I just finally found the manual for my motherboard, it seems there is no way to disable the onboard VGA by jumper settings. The manual says to use a AGP card set the BIOS to PCI (??) which will automatically disable the onboard video when an AGP card is used.
    And I think some of you misunderstood. I can't get into the actual windows safe mode. When I boot windows in safe mode I can see the drivers loading up to the one i described above. Then it hangs.
    So now there is nothing left I could try besides a BIOS update?
    Thanks to everyone so far for helping out!
    Hey 66mhz. You're certainly welcome for the help. We're glad to provide it.

You're right, (at least on my part), I misunderstood you. I thought you were able to get into Safe Mode...
    • Look in your motherboard manual for directions re: how to get into your motherboard's BIOS. (Usually by hitting F2 or DELETE right after you power up the computer)
    • Look for PCI or ONBOARD DEVICES or VIDEO, etc. Exactly what to choose in order to access your video configuration is dependent entirely on your BIOS and its version. It should be explained in your motherboard manual. If you're having difficulty interpreting it, let us know the manufacturer, model, and version of your motherboard. We can look at the manual for you - then provide you w/ instructions re: how to access your BIOS and change its configuration.
    • Change the setting to PCI as directed in your motherboard manual.
    • If this doesn't correct the problem, then, the simplest solution is to go w/ a different video adapter.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    There are a couple of things going on here. First off, there is the possibility of a resource conflict. Some MBs that have onboard VGA Adapters have the option to set AGP/PCI/ONBOARD device as the boot display adapter. I have experienced where in many cases (ECS, BIOSTAR, DFI, FOXCONN, ASROCK) where it doesn't usually matter. POS Creative Sound cards are notorious for fighting with other devices for specific resources. Your BIOS will give you the option to allow AUTO ESCD and sometimes to assign resources. When booting, watch for the DMI screen which lists all of your devices and hit the pause/break button on your keyboard to see what is being used.

Disable all shadowing and cacheing within BIOS, ensure that the appropriate AGP mode is selected, make sure that you are not overlclocking anything (if you are and have the lock option for the agp bus available, then do so), check the eventlog for any errors under the system category (with the working onboard adapter of course).

Have you tried the card in another PC? Have you tried disabling device by device to pinpoint if there is a conflict? Moving cards to other PCI slots can actually make a difference. Going a little all out may involve updating the BIOS (or checking for any related fixes), but may not be necessary.

The possibility for an incompatibility is there, however very slim. Your motherboard is a PC CHIPS M861G Socket 754, using the VIA K8M800 chipset, and that does say alot.