CHKDSK exploded, now i have a found.000 folder

ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
edited January 2007 in Hardware
oh man, do i hvae a problem...

my machine decided to do a check disk with out my consent, then it proceeded to put TONS of clusters all over the place or somthing, this is all on my raid array of corse.

so all told.

all of my files are incomplete, theres about 400gb unaccounted for, and now i have a found.000 direectory in the root of the drive. *sigh* any ideas on how to get my stuff back?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It was a FAT32-formatted drive, wasn't it?

Essentially speaking, in either case, you don't recover them. The files are already broken; it's not just a case of fixing a file system.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    oh man, do i hvae a problem...
    my machine decided to do a check disk with out my consent, then it proceeded to put TONS of clusters all over the place or somthing, this is all on my raid array of corse.
    so all told.
    all of my files are incomplete, theres about 400gb unaccounted for, and now i have a found.000 direectory in the root of the drive. *sigh* any ideas on how to get my stuff back?
    Ewwwwwww...... RAID-0 huh? Do you have any of your data backed up????? If not you're up a creek. There's no redundancy w/ RAID-0.
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    oh man, do i hvae a problem...my machine decided to do a check disk with out my consent, then it proceeded to put TONS of clusters all over the place or somthing, this is all on my raid array of corse...so all told...all of my files are incomplete, theres about 400gb unaccounted for, and now i have a found.000 direectory in the root of the drive. *sigh* any ideas on how to get my stuff back?
    Don't know if THIS or THIS will help but it might be worth a try....

I've used this product for years but have never tried it to recover files that have already been broken as Thrax pointed out. In fact, I don't know of a tool that can do that either. It might be useful, however, in finding older revisions of some of these files that have been marked for deletion but not written over yet.

EDIT://
    If you DO intend to attempt any data recovery, I recommend you shut that system down until you are ready to do so. Any changes you make could overwrite files you might otherwise be able to recover.

Another very decent HDD utility that's been around for a long time is by GRC. You can find it HERE. In fact, he (Steve Gibson) has a no. of very good utilities on his site - many of which are free.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2007
    heh, it was a raid 5.

i got some tips to try from my boss here but we'll hav to see.
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    heh, it was a raid 5.
    i got some tips to try from my boss here but we'll hav to see.
    :doh: !! Shame on me! Well tha's just plain different ain't it? :tongue:
    Be sure to let us know what you try - what works (and doesn't for that matter).

Good Luck!!
    edited January 2007
    something tells me its going to be an exercise in futility :)

but i gotta give the ol' college effort.
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    something tells me its going to be an exercise in futility :)
    but i gotta give the ol' college effort.
    Honestly, I think so, too but it can't hurt to try.

Just take this as a (very hard) lesson learned. It is soooooo important to backup and often.

Get the hardware you need to support backing up all of your data on a regular & frequent basis. An external HDD over firewire might do the trick for you. Just buy an external HDD enclosure (preferably one w/ a fan inside - usually the enclosures that will also support an optical drive will have a fan.) Then buy the capacity HDD you want. (At least the capacity to support triple the amount of data you anticipate you'll be backing up.) There's some free backup software out there that you can automate your backups with. However, I've used for many years what is now called "Backup MyPC" (used to be years ago Veritas Backup Exec). It keeps getting sold off from one company to the next. Sonic has it now. Bypass the busy (for novices) UI and go straight to the Backup MyPC app w/in the suite. It's a great little backup utility.
    edited January 2007
    its kinda hard to have a complete backup of 1.6TB

but i have a NAS comming that can accomodate my needs.
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    its kinda hard to have a complete backup of 1.6TB
    but i have a NAS comming that can accomodate my needs.
    Holy Toledo! :wow: Yeah! I think I see your point!! ;D

So, what's an "NAS"? Can I have one, too...??? :D
    edited January 2007
    nas is a Network Area Storage, its basicly a hard drive ( or set of hard drives) that connect to the network and people attach to it via FTP, or SMB ( windows sharing ) to access and upload/download files

the one im getting allows me to have service accounts and quotas on peoples accounts.but im greedy and only i will have a service account to it.

they sell small NAS's, but im not familiar with the term over the top :)
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    nas is a Network Area Storage, its basicly a hard drive ( or set of hard drives) that connect to the network and people attach to it via FTP, or SMB ( windows sharing ) to access and upload/download files
    the one im getting allows me to have service accounts and quotas on peoples accounts.but im greedy and only i will have a service account to it.
    they sell small NAS's, but im not familiar with the term over the top :)
    Neato! Sounds expensive! Lesseee, c'n I have one???? (checking pockets, Nope, just hoover flags here... ummmm, piggy bank, no dice.... :rolleyes2

So, you're gonna use this beast for data redundancy or backup of that 1.6T, yes? I mean, there's gotta be a way to backup all that data. Otherwise your south side is hangin' in the wind all the time. Just countin' down 'till that next inevitable crash.....:eek2:

EDIT://
    BTW, like a good girl, I looked it up (NAS). Now, I've done gone an' larned sompin' ailse! Thankyou, Armo... :crazy:
    edited January 2007
    well ive come to realize, to make things safe, you have to take me out of the picture. the beauty of the NAS is once its set up, thats it, no fandangling no going inside, no OS to blow up.

I need some back up with less me in the mix.( btw this kind of crap happens to me all the time )

plus the NAS will be kinda like a go between to get to data, instead of having share premisions per folder, i can set it all up once on the NAS. as it sits no NO ONE can write files to this machine ( for good reason ), but the NAS has a public folder where you can upload and download with no problem.

the nas will server as a backup to important files, as well as a file sharing hub. the drives in my array now are getting old, they are about 2 years old, and i never turn the machine off. The drives arent made for what im using them for.

btw you can get small nas's like 250GB, they arent too bad, but its like the same aspect of sharing out a USB drive. only the NAS never stops serving up files if you turn your machine off.
    edited January 2007
    Armo wrote:
    well ive come to realize, to make things safe, you have to take me out of the picture...
    I think that's true for most of us. Human error tends to prevail no matter how hard we try sometimes. If you're an intensive computer user like yourself, then the odds just mount against you. As much automation as possible is the way to go.
    Armo wrote:
    ...the beauty of the NAS is once its set up, thats it, no fandangling no going inside, no OS to blow up...
    A dream come true....
    Armo wrote:
    ...plus the NAS will be kinda like a go between to get to data, instead of having share premisions per folder, i can set it all up once on the NAS. as it sits no NO ONE can write files to this machine ( for good reason ), but the NAS has a public folder where you can upload and download with no problem....
    So, effectively keeping your beast isolated from the rest of the world, yes? That should cut down significantly on the activity on your system since most of that activity will be diverted to the NAS...?
    Armo wrote:
    ...the nas will server as a backup to important files, as well as a file sharing hub. the drives in my array now are getting old, they are about 2 years old, and i never turn the machine off. The drives arent made for what im using them for...
    Prevention is the best cure. When I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, (USN - as a simulation electronics tech) we had elaborate schedules of maintenance. One of these schedules was called the PMS (No! It's not what ya'll think!... It stands for the Periodic & Preventative Maintenance Schedule). We had an entire (daily 8 hour) shift dedicated to nothing but taking care of all the PMs. A good portion of these PMs included R&R'ing (removing and replacing) hardware that was nearing its MTF ("estimated mean time to failure" if I remember the acronym correctly) or that was out-of-tolerance on inspection and could not be tweaked back into tolerance. Every piece of hardware the USN buys is analyzed for its MTF (how long it will function properly before it is predicted to fail) and acceptable operating tolerances. This data is incorporated into a PMs schedule in order to avert disaster/failure before it happens. That's the kind of maintenance I cut my teeth on ("grew up on" so to speak). So, the way I see it, changing out those HDDs and replacing them w/ ones rated for the job wouldn't be a bad idea.... Then implementing a regular maintenance schedule for testing the HDDs (along w/ other system hardware (e.g. RAM, CPU(s), PSU(s)) - hopefully, catching impending failures before they happen.
    Armo wrote:
    ...btw you can get small nas's like 250GB, they arent too bad, but its like the same aspect of sharing out a USB drive. only the NAS never stops serving up files if you turn your machine off...
    My interest is definetly piqued. Unfortunately, all my work in computers is w/ very-small-number-of-computers environments. So, I don't get to play w/ the big boys' and girls' stuff very often... :sad2: