Need Help ID'ing Adjusters

Formula-1Formula-1 Hickory NC
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi all

Please see my post here first
http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=453875&postcount=664

In addition to those mentioned in that post, I just noticed 3 other adjusters.
These are located on a thing that resembles a cars coil. It even has a wire running from it to the top of the CRT that looks a little like a sparkplug wire. I don't know any better way to describe it.
Anyway, there is a Focus screw, one in the middle that has noting wrote on it and the last one is on the bottom and it says Green. These adjuster screws are inline vertically:
Focus
No name
Green.

I don't want to just start turning these thing, not knowing what they all are. I do have a plastic screwdriver and I am very careful to not touch a thing. I would love to be able to lower the brightness and I feel maybe one of these adjusters will do (as mentioned in another guys post). Please help.
Thanks

Comments

• P991-DELL-SONYP991-DELL-SONY California
    edited January 2007
    Formula 1 wrote:
    Hi all

Please see my post here first
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=453875&postcount=664

In addition to those mentioned in that post, I just noticed 3 other adjusters.
    These are located on a thing that resembles a cars coil. It even has a wire running from it to the top of the CRT that looks a little like a sparkplug wire. I don't know any better way to describe it.
    Anyway, there is a Focus screw, one in the middle that has noting wrote on it and the last one is on the bottom and it says Green. These adjuster screws are inline vertically:
    Focus
    No name
    Green.

I don't want to just start turning these thing, not knowing what they all are. I do have a plastic screwdriver and I am very careful to not touch a thing. I would love to be able to lower the brightness and I feel maybe one of these adjusters will do (as mentioned in another guys post). Please help.
    Thanks

That ignition coil look-alike is the flyback. The spark plug wire goes to the anode of the CRT. The knobs on the flyback adjust focous and have a littlebut not much to do with brightness.
  • Formula-1Formula-1 Hickory NC
    edited January 2007
    Hi all

Please note an error in my above post:
    The word Green in my post should be SCREEN, Not GREEN.
    When I first noticed the words, I couldn't see the "S" and the "C" wasn't really clear, leading me to believe the word was Green.

Now for the good news
    Xweebie has been helping me via PM offering suggestions and he told me to try adjusting the Screen screw on the flyback. I only had to turn it about 1/16 of a turn counter-clockwise and my retrace lines went away and my monitor got MUCH darker. I remembered my menu and reset the brightness from 0 to 50. The monitor of course got brighter again and I could again see the retrace lines. I turned the Screen screw slightly more and now it absolutely beautiful.

NOTE: Allow the monitor to warm up for 20-30min before you try to adjust the screw. I did mine as soon as I turned it on and after a little while it got a little too dark. No real trouble though, I just upped the Brightness in the menu to 75 and is perfect.

It is fixed perfectly. As good looking as the day I brought it home from the store.

Now it might not last, as Xweebie told me something is wrong or it would not have gone overbright. This is a temporary fix. But it did work and now I can get some more usefull service out of this monitor.

I am just so pleased. To see this big beautiful picture after using a 13.5" viewable IBM monitor for the past few months, just takes my breath away.

So, if you have a model that has a SCREEN adjuster screw on the flyback, you might be able to darken your up too.

Thank you ever so much Xweebie. If not for the time you spent trying to figure out everything I was trying to relate to you, well I would still be looking at the old IBM.

Xweebie, this is for you
    :celebrate
  • P991-DELL-SONYP991-DELL-SONY California
    edited January 2007
    Oh boy... hmm, I made a horrible post. I should have said, 'two knobs on the flyback adjust focus'.
    I sortof rushed this post I guess, I made two slightly better on the 'P1110 too bright' thread:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549&page=34

especially #677 and #678.

Well, my appologies. On other monitors with a G2 pot, it's been located on the board the socket connects to.

I should've known something was wrong with the word 'green'.

Next time some one asks about knobs on the flyback, my answer will be , 'slightly twist them and find out'. That's how I found out about the focus knobs anyway, and the G2 pot on my older monitor.

Now... hmm, So this is either some non related problem (I doubt that possibility), or the brightness problem really is a problem with component failure.

And, thanks to Xweebie actually investigating all the voltages on all the grids during the stabilization of the 'bright warmup' problem, we know this component is probably something to do with the HV, and that may be the flyback. Or something to do with the tube.

Xweebie says he doesn't think a component failure would be this widespread , that instead a firmware bug or EEPROM failure would be the more likely cause. Regarding the memos (from RAYMAN) I posted eariler, about replacing the MCU, I think he may be right.

But if the problem fixed in this thread is the same problem everyone has been having, atleast we know G2 voltage isn't being kicked up by the MCU. Which has been the assumption.

The MCU doesn't seem to touch HV, or atleast it has no documented registers that play with it. ABL maybe? I don't know enough about how that works.

One question though. Why doesn't Xweebie ever make public postings? He's by far the most helpful guy on these monitor threads.
  • Formula-1Formula-1 Hickory NC
    edited January 2007
    Hi

Yeah, I too believe I have the exact same problem everyone else has had. I read every post in the too bright thread. I feel sure the symtoms are just too similar, imo.
    Greenish tint, too bright and retrace lines showing, brightness on 0 and all.
    I don't know anything at all about monitors, except the bits and pieces picked up here and especially the items you and Xweebie have pointed out. I wish I could offer some technical information that would help trace down the exact cause of this brightness epidemic. All I can do is hope that maybe it will help in some way. I'm sure many a good monitors have ended up in trash piles due to this.

I wonder how aware the manufactures are of this problem? I imagine most monitors were past their warrenty when the brightness began going up. Surely they have heard of it though. One would think they could figure out exactly what the fault is and make it public so everyone could get/do a proper repair.
    I am of course very pleased mine is working, but I too would like to know why it went too bright in the first place.

Anyway, I hope to get another year or two out of this one. Then maybe 24" LCD's will be perfect for gaming. I understand there are a couple models out now that do well, but are still not quite perfect yet.

I know one thing for sure. I am going to keep my eye out for FW900's that are over bright. Maybe get a real deal on one, lol. I am also going to offer a link to this site if I hear of someone with the same type problem.

I don't know why Xweebie chose PM to help inform me. Only a guess here, maybe it is easier for him to keep up with each person he is helping. We exchanged a few, he would ask me something and I would try to answer. I sure do apperciate guys like you and him who share your knowledge.

You guys are the best...Thanks ever so much :)