won't boot up but many beeps

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi
I re-formatted an external hard drive using the utility that came with it. When this finished, I clicked quit on the programme button, then un-plugged the drive from the front usb port I was using. I then shut down the computer. When I next went to boot the computer up, it won't come on at all. All that happens is the power and hard drive write light stays continually on, and there is no display on the monitor. The computer beeps twice with a short pause then six times with a short pause then repeats until I turn the power off by holding the power button in for several seconds. I have AMI bios and have tried to find the beep code but it appears that this code does not exist !! I even downloaded the pdf document from the AMI web site and this doesn't mention this sequence of beeps either. I am not at all sure that the re-format on the external drive has a bearing on this as I remember the computer not booting up a few weeks ago but if I remember right, I just turned it off and back on again and it worked so thought it was just a glitch. Can anyone help as I am really stuck with this one. I built this myself so know my way around but still feel useless on this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hello,

What type of PC is this? Did you build it or is it a "store bought" model?

If you assembled it, what Motherboard, CPU, PSU, etc are you using?

What you describe sounds like something has gone wrong with the ram or maybe even the CPU.

Thanks
  • edited January 2007
    Hi
    The m/board is a pc-chips ml863g v1.5, processor is an amd sempron 2200+, ram is 512meg crucial ram; Don't know what the p/s is but it is what come in an a-pod case. Oh, and yes, I built it myself and has hardly been used since it was built, maybe turned on once or twice a week for half an hour.
    Thanks
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Looking through AMI bios beep codes...this is a ram problem or something more serious.

Remove all add in cards except the Video card (if you have a Vid card..I am not sure if this board has onboard video) and try to start the machine.

If this fails, remove all the ram and try to start....see if the beeps change.

If removing the ram changes the beeps, try to find some different ram to try in the machine.

It could just be a coincidence that these 2 events occured at the same time.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for taking the time to write back. I'll give this a try tomorrow.