Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe - Last Post Before Suicide

edited January 2007 in Hardware
hi everyone
i bought the above board month and a half ago.
my sys spec is:
Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Speed : 2.01GHz
Model Number : 3800 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR7232 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2x 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 255.255 (811)
System : System manufacturer System Product Name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N32-SLI DELUXE
Total Memory : 2GB DDR2-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1005MHz (2010MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 2GB DDR2-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 334MHz (668MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : FLATRON 774FT
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Physical Storage Devices
Hard Disk : WDC WD3200JS-55PDB0 (298GB)

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

here is the thing..
when i set it up for the first time it crashed like hell, and after a few days i solve it by moving the memory (2X1GB Corsair) to the two yellows. well..
it stopped the blue screens but my whole OS is somehow Delayed!!!
it often takes a few minutes to enter a dir, when i install something it takes a lot of time like it stucked (the mouse is ok) and the light that says the HDD is working isnt blinking like the comp is not thinking. it just takes a lot of time
its often stuck but the doesnt thinking its just delayed
im so frustrated.. i feel like burn this damn thing
all i want is a pc well react and work
btw, in games the pc works perfect.. and i tried do format..
maybe its the memory settings in the bios? can someone detail what they sould be?
ahhhhhhhhh
help me pleasE!!!!
thank you very much

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    What model memory do you have?

AI Clock skew plays a huge role in stability. Set the AI clock skew to Manual and start with 300ps advanced on both channels, if that doesn't stabilize things...set 450ps advanced on both.
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    i had nearly same configuration till i upgraded to 4000+. I was kind of wondering if AI Clock Skew had to be tweaked or not. Anyway, Deafable, read through this thread here as well. It helped me alot.

first of all, set the Ram Voltage to 0.1V higher, Remove NVIDIA IDE Drivers and set PEG Link to Normal or Disabled.

It worked for me, I had similar problems as mentioned by you.
  • edited January 2007
    well...sonething fix it
    you are the best..really! millions of thanks!!
    and two things..
    following your question i have a PCZ-5300 128MBX64 Corsair 1GB X2
    and i wanna know something...can you detail about that ai clock skew and the PEG link (and the 0.6 voltage instead of 0.5)
    apperantly those fix the problems...what are they? and how come my comp is a monster..when vefore he was a piece of milk lol
    tell me so i can help ppl like me in the future..
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    PEG is basically a utility that does PCIE / Graphics Overclocking and so on it's own. Atleast that's what the manual says. It can be adjusted in bios under Advanced Tab (if i am not wrong :p)

Voltage on Memory is adjusted through Bios as well under Advanced Tab from Jumper Free Configuration (again if i am not wrong) It's named by DRAM Voltage and Field Value on default is "Auto"

AI Clock Skew is present under Advanced > CPU Configuration > DRAM Configuration ..

Hope it helps.
  • edited January 2007
    it does .. thank you!
    but i ment what does this efect my system
    as i raised my clock skew to 450 ps and add 0.1 voltage to memory and disabled PEG(i think this is how it spelled fix me if im wrong)
    those configs did magic to my system! i wanna know how those 3 little settings made my comp fly like a jet plane

thanks
    and if you have more suggestions of how i can speed up my system.. as i thing im not using its full potential without OC
    ty!
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    i don't know about clock skew.. but this motherboard seems to be unstable with a lot of Rams. mostly those that don't have Micron chips. So to keep stability in check, i guess you raise the voltage by 0.1.

PEG, as i just said, is kind of automatic overclocking thing. So disabling it would improve stability. That's kind of given i guess. More info is in the thread i supplied before.

May be Ryder can tell us more about AI Clock Skew