Recovering Raid Array

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I had 2 harddrives in Raid 1 (Mirrored Mode) running on a Silicon Images SiI3512 raid controller (intergrated on my motherboard: GigaByte K8NSNXP). The motherboard failed this week and I am in the process of getting a different model MB to replace it. From what I have read about raid setups is that you cannot move an existing array to a new controller. And since my old raid controller essentially died with the motherboard, I am in a difficult position.

My question is, can you take 1 drive out of a mirrored raid array and move it to another computer and access it? I would like to connect one of the drives to my friend's computer (as a normal SATA HD) and burn all the data onto DVD's before attempting to rebuild the array on my new motherboard. I have searched EVERYWHERE for an answer to this specific problems but haven't found any relevent info, please help! Thanks

Comments

• MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    With RAID-1 you can. The array will be gone or failed, but data is as safe as 2 copies of the same hard drive.

Just make sure when you set up your RAID-1 on the new controller that you DO NOT clear data. Should be no problem.

It would have been best if you could have removed the RAID information from the old controller, but should be fine.

On a side note: If the new controller is an SI and you hook the drives back up to it, it should recognize the old controllers RAID information and just go back as if nothing happened.