SATA crashed drive file transfer

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have already pretty much come to the point that my drive is unrepairable, so at this point I am trying to connect it as a slave to a different machine so I can transfer files from there. My problem is the two other desktops are both PATA and the two laptops I am unsure of and dont really want to break into them. What will I have to do to transfer my files. I have seen SATA to PATA adapters I believe just curious if there are any immediate solutions. THANKS for help.

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    1lodime wrote:
    I have already pretty much come to the point that my drive is unrepairable, so at this point I am trying to connect it as a slave to a different machine so I can transfer files from there. My problem is the two other desktops are both PATA and the two laptops I am unsure of and dont really want to break into them. What will I have to do to transfer my files. I have seen SATA to PATA adapters I believe just curious if there are any immediate solutions. THANKS for help.
    Hello 1lodime. Welcome to Short Media! Really sorry you haven't gotten any responses until now. Sometimes people's posts just slip through the cracks. You can always come back. Type "bump" into your post and submit that again. That will call our attention to the thread we missed.

There are few options available to you for this problem.
    • W/ respect to the laptops, you cannot add a 2nd HDD (internally, that is).
    • You could purchase an external HDD "enclosure" for SATA HDDs.
    • Install the drive into the enclosure.
    • Then connect the enclosure to one of your desktop or laptop computers via an external Firewire, USB, or SATA connection. Which connection type you would use would depend upon the options available w/ the enclosure you purchased and the available external connections on the computer you would like to connect it to.
    • This would probably be the simplest solution unless you would like to add a SATA controller card to one of your desktop computers.
    • The SATA controller card would add SATA ports to a computer that does not have one.