MB Upgrade Problems

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys, I recently switched from AMD to Intel (which is a dumb idea) but I got a wonderful deal on the mobo and chip with vista so why not. Anyway, after I installed all the components into my new case I turn the computer on and the fan lights turn on and spins then it turns right off. The computer might be turning on for about one second. I am aware of ESD, no I do not have ram inside when it starts up I should hear the ram error message. I replaced the power supply not wanting to believe that the mobo or chip could be bad. Any suggestions? Are my components fried? Thanks a tons guys this is driving me crazy!!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Justin, I split your post off so it has a thread of its own. You'll likely get more help that way. :)

I am tied up at the moment, but if no one else comes along with a suggestion I'll check back and see what I can do.

In the meantime, is there a reason why you've tried booting without RAM? You should get beep code errors, but that is not always the case.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    Try to re-set the heatsink on the proc. If this doesn't help (or if it's easier to do the heatsink) remove the mobo from the case to eliminate the possibility of a stand-off shorting. It sounds to me more like your cpu overheating while trying to boot.
  • edited January 2007
    Well i don't have ram for it at the moment i just got it from intel. I took off the mobo made sure nothing was under it, reset it, screwed it into place, took off my heatsink then put it back on. And yet again i hit the button to turn it on and as soon as it turns on it turns right off.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    You probably should try it with the ram installed. Try it again with the mobo outside of the case, it could be a screw or a stand-off thats holding the mobo to the case causing the problem.

BTW, do you have the system speaker hooked up so you can hear the beep codes? I wouldn't ask, but I've been there.
  • edited January 2007
    I've had this problem on my my first build, and indefinitely think this is a shorting problem. I pressed the power switch, and the case fans lit and spun for less than a second. I remedied this problem by making sure that the stand offs for the motherboard were tightened with pliers, and that the screws for the motherboard were not cross threaded. I also checked the jumpers settings, to see if any jumpers were distributed.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    I've had this problem on my my first build, and indefinitely think this is a shorting problem. I pressed the power switch, and the case fans lit and spun for less than a second. I remedied this problem by making sure that the stand offs for the motherboard were tightened with pliers, and that the screws for the motherboard were not cross threaded. I also checked the jumpers settings, to see if any jumpers were distributed.
    Hi Mal51
    I'd recommend you follow Donut's instructions (post # 5) and get the system booting w/ the motherboard outside the case. Continuing to attempt to run it when there is a possible short can lead to damage of your system hardware. Let's get it outside the case and trouble-shoot it from there if the problems persist.

Once the system is booting ok, re-install the motherboard to the case. Make sure that, when you install it, none of the metal stand offs are touching ANY motherboard circuity. Each standoff should remain INSIDE the ring that surrounds the hole in the motherboard and NOT extend beyond its circumference. Don't use ANY standard washers or other hardware when connecting your motherboard to the case. IOW, use ONLY hardware intended for the application - installing a motherboard.

This often solves issues like the one you are experiencing. Let's see if this cures the ills... :smiles:
  • edited January 2007
    Oh there's nothing wrong now, I was just trying to help. I guess my comment was a little vague. Those things happened to me on my very first build, but I realized I was missing a jumper, so I found another and used it. Worked like a champ.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    Oh there's nothing wrong now, I was just trying to help. I guess my comment was a little vague. Those things happened to me on my very first build, but I realized I was missing a jumper, so I found another and used it. Worked like a champ.
    LOL. Sorry, Mal51. I meant to address my post to Justin.Stonecipher

Justin, Post # 7 was intended for you. :D