Random Reboots, Browser Crashes, SP2 won't install

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I'm running into a gamut of problems with my parents computer. After buying a new motherboard for it, I had to reformat Windows completely. Since then, the following has happened:
  • Computer reboots primarily with 2 STOP errors, one is 0x00000A8 (hardware issue) the other 0x000008E
  • Browsers repeatedly crash, IE6, FF2.0, Opera 9
  • SP2 will not install. Tried autoupdate, windowsupdate.com, and downloading the SP2 package and attempting to install

This is a clean, activated windows SP1 slipstreamed copy - I've attempted to install SP2 a few times without success. Computer either reboots midway, or finds a corrupt file in the SP2 download and is unable to continue.

I'm ripping my hair out, and I can't figure it out. I was the guy that got them to stop from buying a desktop from Dell or HP, and now it looks like the only alternative.

Memtest passes
Chkdsk passes
No Virus
No spyware

What's going on?

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    New error message upon SP2 installation:

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f83905" referenced memory at "0x003c0033". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Click Okay, same message with referenced memory at "0x00000000" pops up.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    New error message upon SP2 installation:
    svchost.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x77f83905" referenced memory at "0x003c0033". The memory could not be "written".
    Click on OK to terminate the program.
    Click Okay, same message with referenced memory at "0x00000000" pops up.
    How long did you run MEMTEST86, NiGHTS?
    What did you use to test your hard drive?

Please, go HERE and download & run (doesn't need to install) Stress Prime 2004 Orthos Edition
    Run the Blended mode first. Let's see how far you get.
    • What about the rest of the hardware?
    • What motherboard did you install?
    • Processor?
    • Memory?
    • Hard Disk Drive(s) (sata/ata?)
    • Can you check the voltage and termperature levels in the BIOS?
    • Did you apply heat sink compound between the heat sink and the processor?
    • How old is the power supply?
    • Is anything hot or making any noises?

If the problem persists, disconnect everything internally EXCEPT what is necessary for the computer to boot into the OS.
    • (1) memory module
    • Primary hard disk drive
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    • monitor
    • (no other devices)
    Do your symptoms change at all?
    edited January 2007
    How long did you run MEMTEST86, NiGHTS?
    What did you use to test your hard drive?

Not quite sure, might have only been through one cycle. It passed, that much I remember. To test the hard drive, I used something recommended by Prime a while back. That, however, was for the old hard drive, this is a new 80GB WD that windows was installed on. The latter was a 10GB fireball that just didn't provide the space needed anymore - it is currently plugged in as the slave.
    Please, go HERE and download & run (doesn't need to install) Stress Prime 2004 Orthos Edition
    Run the Blended mode first. Let's see how far you get.

Welp, here we go:
    Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 255 Time: 15
    CPU: 1607MHz FSB: 200MHz [200MHz x 8.0 est.]
    1/22/2007 9:02 PM Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
    Press Stop to end this test.
    Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
    Test 2, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922943 using 1024K FFT length.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    Torture Test ran 5 minutes 22 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
    Execution halted.
    • What about the rest of the hardware?
    • What motherboard did you install?
    • Processor?
    • Memory?
    • Hard Disk Drive(s) (sata/ata?)
    • Can you check the voltage and termperature levels in the BIOS?
    • Did you apply heat sink compound between the heat sink and the processor?
    • How old is the power supply?
    • Is anything hot or making any noises?
    • ECS K8 HT1600 nForce3-A
    • Sempron 2800+
    • 2x256MB Kingston Value
    • 1 80GB WD (new), 1 10GB Fireball (!)
    • Voltage is just fine, as are temps (30C)
    • Applied upon installation of motherboard
    • Power supply (Antec 450) is about a year old
    • No, case is cool and quiet
    If the problem persists, disconnect everything internally EXCEPT what is necessary for the computer to boot into the OS.
    • (1) memory module
    • Primary hard disk drive
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    • monitor
    • (no other devices)
    Do your symptoms change at all?

Nothing unneeded was ever plugged in, really. For the hell of it before even seeing this post, however, I took out one memory module and attempted to install SP2. Sure enough, it worked. So, now signs are pointing back to a memory issue, despite the repeated warnings of video device failures. That problem, however, is apparently fixed upon install of SP2.

This is an ongoing problem, dating back to this thread:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46643

Appreciate your time, Pterocarpous
    edited January 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file...Torture Test ran 5 minutes 22 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings...Execution halted...
    That is EXACTLY one of the errors I was getting in THIS thread. Follow up to that thread is HERE.
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...Nothing unneeded was ever plugged in, really. For the hell of it before even seeing this post, however, I took out one memory module and attempted to install SP2. Sure enough, it worked. So, now signs are pointing back to a memory issue, despite the repeated warnings of video device failures. That problem, however, is apparently fixed upon install of SP2...
    So it works w/ all your RAM, now? All is ok? What exactly was the fix in the end?
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...Appreciate your time, Pterocarpous...
    You're welcome, of course. Sorry no one responded to your post sooner. Slipped through cracks apparently.
    edited January 2007
    That is EXACTLY one of the errors I was getting in THIS thread. Follow up to that thread is HERE.

So it works w/ all your RAM, now? All is ok? What exactly was the fix in the end?

That's interesting. I would never have thought of trying a BIOS flash. I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you.

The problem still exists somewhat, the browsers still randomly crash - just not as frequently. Now, though, they no longer display any warning and request to send error reports - they just crash to desktop.

As far as installing SP2, the fix was to simply remove one 256MB module and install it with the other still in place. What I don't understand is that this issue occurred on the old motherboard as well. Much like your problem, it just suddenly all went wrong and began rebooting.

Don't need to apologize about the lack of response, I've been around here long enough to know that it takes some time to get free help. I'm a patient man - I was actually planning on having you respond as well. Your latest posts (namely the one about how disgusted you are with guru's treatment of linux noobies) have all hit home.

Cheers, here's to the flash! I'll keep you posted.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    But this is a clean build + new HDD...right, NiGHTS?
    edited January 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...That's interesting. I would never have thought of trying a BIOS flash...
    Nor would I have until now...
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you...
    Please, do. I'm very interested in the efficacy of this process now. (Particularly w/ respect to whether it is a true cure or a bandaid.) I'm picking up my system from the shop 1st thing this a.m. I'll get her on the bench and cooking a.s.a.p. I'll post the progress on the follow up thread. (and let you know here if I learn of anything new)
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...The problem still exists somewhat, the browsers still randomly crash - just not as frequently. Now, though, they no longer display any warning and request to send error reports - they just crash to desktop...
    • Is it still failing ORTHOS Blended Mode? (please, see PIC)
    • Have you tried running ORTHOS CPU diag? (please, see PIC)
    • Are you still running off of the (1) 256MB RAM module?
    • Did you try moving the the RAM module you removed to a different slot and run the test again (w/ no other RAM modules installed)?
    • Did you run MEMTEST86 (or any other diags) again after removing one RAM module?
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...As far as installing SP2, the fix was to simply remove one 256MB module and install it with the other still in place. What I don't understand is that this issue occurred on the old motherboard as well. Much like your problem, it just suddenly all went wrong and began rebooting...
    Which components/devices did you carry over from the old motherboard?
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...I'm a patient man...
    That's certainly an asset when trying to sort out computer problems...
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...I was actually planning on having you respond as well. Your latest posts (namely the one about how disgusted you are with guru's treatment of linux noobies) have all hit home....
    Ahhh, you check out The Pub, too. (Per SM request, I've submitted that post in The Pub as an article, btw.) You must be the quiet type. ;) Haven't seen you 'round these parts since I stumbled on Short Media a couple months back...[/QUOTE]
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...Cheers, here's to the flash! I'll keep you posted...
    Same here. I'll keep you in the loop as well! :thumbsup:
    edited January 2007
    • Is it still failing ORTHOS Blended Mode? (please, see PIC)
    • Have you tried running ORTHOS CPU diag? (please, see PIC)
    • Are you still running off of the (1) 256MB RAM module?
    • Did you try moving the the RAM module you removed to a different slot and run the test again (w/ no other RAM modules installed)?
    • Did you run MEMTEST86 (or any other diags) again after removing one RAM module?

Fails blended mode, yes.
    CPU mode passes, Memory does not
    When running with 1 module, I did not test
    Both slots seem to work fine alone
    Did not run memtest86 after removing one stick, as I didn't have the time
    Which components/devices did you carry over from the old motherboard?

All were carried over. HDs, RAM, Videocard, Wireless Card

Unfortunately, no further testing on my part can be done. I've returned home to SD for school - the computer in question is in NY. I left out one stick of RAM so the computer can at least operate, it is unfortunate that we couldn't figure it out in time.

One thing I did want you to know - BIOS update did not fix the problem.
    edited January 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Fails blended mode, yes.
    CPU mode passes, Memory does not
    When running with 1 module, I did not test
    Both slots seem to work fine alone
    Did not run memtest86 after removing one stick, as I didn't have the time
    All were carried over. HDs, RAM, Videocard, Wireless Card
    Unfortunately, no further testing on my part can be done. I've returned home to SD for school - the computer in question is in NY. I left out one stick of RAM so the computer can at least operate, it is unfortunate that we couldn't figure it out in time.
    One thing I did want you to know - BIOS update did not fix the problem.
    Well, rats. That's too bad. What are the chances of having it shipped to you?
    Probably impractical all around, huh?

You might want to send them a new RAM module and step one of them (or a family friend) thru installing it. 256MB just doesn't cut it for XP.