writerhoward: CD drive not showing

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have a similar problem,and I'm using a Dell Dimension 4550.

A few days ago I opened the case to check how many memory slots I had. I then closed it without touching or changing anything inside.

Now when I boot up I get the messages that
"Secondary hard drive 0 not found" and
"Secondary hard drive 1 not found.

Further, though there's still power to them, neither of my CD-ROM drives work anymore nor appear in Windows Explorer.

What can I do to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I have a similar problem,and I'm using a Dell Dimension 4550.
    A few days ago I opened the case to check how many memory slots I had. I then closed it without touching or changing anything inside.
    Now when I boot up I get the messages that
    "Secondary hard drive 0 not found" and
    "Secondary hard drive 1 not found.
    Further, though there's still power to them, neither of my CD-ROM drives work anymore nor appear in Windows Explorer.
    What can I do to fix the problem?
    Thanks,
    Howard
    Hello Writerhoward. Welcome to Short Media.
    This thread was started to address another person's issue. To keep things from getting confusing for those trying to help you, it's best to start your own thread to get help addressing your particular problem. To that end, I've asked the moderators to move your post to your own thread. :)

There may have been something loose already.
    • Unplug the power cord from the tower.
    • Open the case.
    • Reseat (unplug and plug back in) the cables that connect to your hard disk drive(s) and cd-rom drive(s).
    • Make sure the cables that run from the hard disk drive(s) and cd-rom drive(s) are seated well on the motherboard as well.

Be very careful NOT to touch any electronic components or devices inside your computer unnecessarily. (This is an ESD precaution)
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2007
    Moved on request.