nVidia GeForce 6100 (Onboard graphics)

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I'm a little curious, how fast is the GeForce 6100 Northbridge graphics chip? What series of video cards is it equivalent to?

Right now, the motherboard I'm talking about is the EPoX EP-AF550G PRO (He'll have 1GB PC5300 DDR2 667 and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHz CPU), and he's been playing his computer games on a laptop thats about 3.5 years old, a Dell Inspiron 1100 (768MB PC2700 DDR333, 2.4GHz Celeron and Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller), so how much faster is it compared to that?

Comments

• MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2007
    I don't know how it compares to his Intel graphics, but my laptop has the 6150. I can't play any games with modern graphics at all. Anything with 3D graphics will barely run with all the settings turned down. I'm not talking 3D shooters, those will obviously not play well, but rather newer RTS games with 3D graphics. They work fine until you get into a large battle and then it slows to a crawl.

My laptop specs are:
    AMD 3400+ 1.8 ghz
    1gb DDR2 667
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2007
    I did tell him that if it doesn't play his games fast enough with the onboard graphics, that he could buy a graphics card if need be.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    I can run BFMEII on it with all setting lowered and at 640x480. This is the reason why I will be upgrading my boys system with an Express16 card in the very near future, DX10 enabled one to be future-resistant and not proof.

Video, however is absolutely fine, especially with the Nvidia Decoder installed for DVDs.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    I did tell him that if it doesn't play his games fast enough with the onboard graphics, that he could buy a graphics card if need be.
    Nothing wrong with covering your bases. :range:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The Nvidia onboard 6100 and 6150 are far superior to what Intel is currently offering. But as said above it is not a massively huge Gaming chip, you are able to allocate a bit more memory to it in the bios which will in turn improve performance, but it is not going to give you anything above low/medium in today’s basic games, and will struggle with new titles.