Media Server and/or NAS Solutions

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited January 2007 in Hardware
So I recently saw an article on wired about suggestions for media server/storage solutions. I'm curious what everyones setups around here are for entertainment and storage, as well as any suggestions of things that work well or issues to be aware of.

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2007
    i use both a full blown machine as well as a NAS for data storage and backup. I got the NAS last week and i havnt quite gotten my modded xbox to connect to it. i just have to figure out what the account and password it uses to access samba shares with. i use an Intel SS4000-E NAS with 4 500gig hard drives set up in raid 5. i have service accounts with passwords to allow other people to have their own hidden shares, you can set disk quotas, have groups, it can interact with active directory, it has a partition backup utility, which ill never use. the NAS has a public folder which has read write access for everyone, including a guest account.

in my streaming media server, it runs windows XP Pro and i use an Areca 1230, with 8 300gig hard drives in raid 5. i set the machine up so everyone has read access but no write access, so by default the xbox can connect and stream no problem. i can have more than 5 or 6 streams from my machine, mostly over wirelessG no problem.

before i got my nas i exploded my raid on my main machine, loosing pretty much everything, so i got the NAS to use as a backup for important data.