Problems after resetting CMOS

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi all,

First post so please excuse and muck ups on my part! I've recently transplanted my system to a new case. On booting up the system failed to post, when I eventualy realised this was what was happening I reset the CMOS (power down, remove battery, wait, replace battery, power up), and was confronted by a checksum error. Went to setup and set default setting (didnt have the old ones written down), chose save and exit and the system failed to post again. Following this I replaced the CMOS battery, booted up, entered setup, loaded optimsed defaults, saved and exited and the system booted fine, result! However whenever I turn on now the system fails to post, but if i press the reset button this usualy resolves the issue and it posts and boots with the BIOS/CMOS settings all intact (i.e. the CMOS is now retaining its saved settings). On the occasions this doesnt work pressing the reset button often does it. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this issue? It's got me confused since it now doesnt appear to be a CMOS battery issue as settings are remaining saved and I don't get a checksum error.

Cheers all, sorry for the length!

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    larry86 wrote:
    Hi all,

First post so please excuse and muck ups on my part! I've recently transplanted my system to a new case. On booting up the system failed to post, when I eventualy realised this was what was happening I reset the CMOS (power down, remove battery, wait, replace battery, power up), and was confronted by a checksum error. Went to setup and set default setting (didnt have the old ones written down), chose save and exit and the system failed to post again. Following this I replaced the CMOS battery, booted up, entered setup, loaded optimsed defaults, saved and exited and the system booted fine, result! However whenever I turn on now the system fails to post, but if i press the reset button this usualy resolves the issue and it posts and boots with the BIOS/CMOS settings all intact (i.e. the CMOS is now retaining its saved settings). On the occasions this doesnt work pressing the reset button often does it. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this issue? It's got me confused since it now doesnt appear to be a CMOS battery issue as settings are remaining saved and I don't get a checksum error.

Cheers all, sorry for the length!

I know it's a PITB, but I'd take the mobo out of the case and set it up on an ESD mat or a piece of cardboard. Trouble-shoot and get it working from there then re-install it back to the case. We need to rule out the possibility of there being a short to the case.

PS: The more details the better. No one will ever complain around here re: long posts! :D
  • edited January 2007
    I know it's a PITB, but I'd take the mobo out of the case and set it up on an ESD mat or a piece of cardboard. Trouble-shoot and get it working from there then re-install it back to the case. We need to rule out the possibility of there being a short to the case.

PS: The more details the better. No one will ever complain around here re: long posts! :D

Cool! will give it a try and report back! One thing though, it may be a short while before I get a chance to do this, does shorting to case result in any long term damage or just a high level of annoyance?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    larry86 wrote:
    Cool! will give it a try and report back! One thing though, it may be a short while before I get a chance to do this, does shorting to case result in any long term damage or just a high level of annoyance?
    That depends on what is being shorted. So, yes, it definetly could cause damage to your motherboard hardware.

That's why I recommend pulling it out of the case before trying anything else for the moment....