Evil Blue Screen - unrecoverable, unmountable

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

I've looked for a thread similar to mine, but they all seem to have slightly different problems.

My Dell Desktop running Windows XP Home Edition sp2 is telling me that I have an Unmountable boot version. I do not have boot recovery disks made. When installing the XP cd and running chkdsk it stops at 25% telling me I have one or more unrecoverable problems. XP is and 95% of my files are on the C harddrive, but I have a larger D drive slaved which is installed for storage of music (nothing else is backed up on it from the primary drive).

I can not start the computer in safe mode. Can anyone offer any assistance in helping me retrieve the documents, files and pictures saved on the primary drive or ideally in being able to bootup windows again. I truly appreciate any time you are willing to lend to help with this problem. Thank you so much!!!

Matt

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    do you have a second computer that you can store the data on? If so, You can remove your hard drive and use a IDE-to-USB converter. If you have a SATA hard drive, grab an SATA-to-USB.

Take out your primary drive and connect it to the converter and transfer your files to the second PC.

That's what I'd do to backup your data. After you've transfered your files, download a hard drive diagnosis software from your hard drive manufacturer. Boot to the diagnosis CD and do the advanced test to make sure the drive is not dead. If it comes back fine, reformat it through the diagnosis CD.

Then try installing WinXP....

Try that and let us know how it goes...
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hello Duganscience. Welcome to Short Media!

First of all, I recommend you keep the failing hard disk drive powered down (not connected to any power source) until you are ready to pursue recovering your data. The reason for this is, if the drive is failing, there is a good chance that you have a limited amount of time in which to pull your data off of the drive b4 more data is corrupted and/or the drive fails completely.

QCH2002 has some very good advice. If you do choose to use one of the converters, make sure, if at all possible, that you plug the drive into an USB 2.0 port. (As opposed to the older USB 1.1 standard which is much slower)

The reason for this is speed. Again, if the drive is failing, chances are you have a limited amount of time in which you can pull your data off b4 the problem worsens. The faster the data transfer rate the better. If you will be moving larger files like video and music files, this faster transfer rate is even more critical.

You can connect the failed hard disk drive to the inside of another computer as well if you like. That would afford you a much faster data transfer rate. If you'd like to do that, let us know and we'll step you through it.

Bottom line, the first thing to address is getting your data off the drive. The rest comes after. :)
  • edited January 2007
    Hello Duganscience. Welcome to Short Media!

First of all, I recommend you keep the failing hard disk drive powered down (not connected to any power source) until you are ready to pursue recovering your data. The reason for this is, if the drive is failing, there is a good chance that you have a limited amount of time in which to pull your data off of the drive b4 more data is corrupted and/or the drive fails completely.

QCH2002 has some very good advice. If you do choose to use one of the converters, make sure, if at all possible, that you plug the drive into an USB 2.0 port. (As opposed to the older USB 1.1 standard which is much slower)

The reason for this is speed. Again, if the drive is failing, chances are you have a limited amount of time in which you can pull your data off b4 the problem worsens. The faster the data transfer rate the better. If you will be moving larger files like video and music files, this faster transfer rate is even more critical.

You can connect the failed hard disk drive to the inside of another computer as well if you like. That would afford you a much faster data transfer rate. If you'd like to do that, let us know and we'll step you through it.

Bottom line, the first thing to address is getting your data off the drive. The rest comes after. :)

Hi, I want to thank both of you for taking the time to respond to my post and for the invaluable help. I will try what you've suggested. I'm assuming I can get the converters from CompUSA or Best Buy. I appreciate you offering to walk me through connecting the failed hard drive to the inside of another computer. How would I go about that??? THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!
    edited January 2007
    You're certainly welcome, Duganscience.

As for installing your failing hard disk drive into another computer; It wouldn't be bad. I think you'd have a better shot at recovering your data that way, too. However, if you're not comfortable futzing w/ your or someone else's computer innards, by all means, use one of the adapters that QCH2002 recommended. It will provide the simplest method of connecting your hard disk drive to another computer.
    • First off, have you worked on a computer before?
    • Do you know how to open the case?
    • For now, we can only guess at what your level of experience w/ working on computers is.
    • Open you computer case.
    • (If, at any time, you need more instruction, just let us know.)
    • We need to know what type of data cable is attached to the hard disk drive.
    • The type of data cable will tell us what type of hard drive is installed there.
    • There will be two cables connected to the drive.
    • One will be the power cable.
    • One will be the data cable.
    • Please, see the links below for descriptions of the two types of hard disk drive data cables.
    • Please, tell us which one you have.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Pterocarpous,

I have removed both hard drives from my computer. They were both connected via ATA cables. I have minimal experience working on computers. I've done the basics like adding hard drives and memory, but thats about the extent of it. I'm open to learning though;) Ready for the next step!
    edited January 2007
    Hi Pterocarpous,...I have removed both hard drives from my computer. They were both connected via ATA cables. I have minimal experience working on computers. I've done the basics like adding hard drives and memory, but thats about the extent of it. I'm open to learning though;) Ready for the next step!
    Ah, terrific!
    • Were you getting errors on both HDDs?
    • Or do you mean you've removed HDDs in the past???
    • If just one HDD was failing, are you clear on which one of the two it is?
    • Now, take a look at the other computer (with it booted up)
    • How much hard disk drive free space is there available for you to copy your data to? (If you don't know how to determine this, just let us know.)
    • This is important. We want to have ample space once you fire up the failing HDD so that you can quickly get your data copied off of it.
  • edited January 2007
    I have two hard drives installed primary and slave. I installed the slave a few months ago. I'm assuming it's the error message I was getting seemed to indicate the problem was with the C drive (primary).

My backup computer is old. Not sure how much free space there is on it but I would guess about 12 GB of space. It doesn't allow for ethernet connections only dialup so I am not able to get online with it. Is there a way to find out the amount of free space without connecting to the internet?
    edited January 2007
    I have two hard drives installed primary and slave. I installed the slave a few months ago. I'm assuming it's the error message I was getting seemed to indicate the problem was with the C drive (primary).

My backup computer is old. Not sure how much free space there is on it but I would guess about 12 GB of space. It doesn't allow for ethernet connections only dialup so I am not able to get online with it. Is there a way to find out the amount of free space without connecting to the internet?
    Oh sure. You don't need to connect to the Internet to do this. We can find out the CAPACITY of the HDD as well as how much space FREE SPACE is remaining on it w/out going online.
    • Open up MY COMPUTER
    • Select from the top of the window: VIEW then DETAILS
    • Expand the window fully (so that it takes up the whole screen)
    • Look in the TOTAL SIZE and FREE SPACE columns
    • That's the information we need for each hard disk drive.
    Now, here's a possible problem; if your older system is pre-Windows 2000 or NT (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME), you may not be able to read the contents on your failing primary (C) drive because it will be formatted NTFS. (And the HDD on the older system will be formatted FAT32. In this context, the formats are incompatible)

There are other potential problems as well depending upon the age of your older system and the capacity of the HDD you need to be able to access.
    So, to that end:
    • Exactly how old is your older computer?
    • What operating system is it running?
  • edited January 2007
    Its running Windows 98, and is about 8 years old. I had it shoved in a closet. It has 10 GB of free space shared between two hard drives (2.5 GB and 8 GB).
    edited January 2007
    Its running Windows 98, and is about 8 years old. I had it shoved in a closet. It has 10 GB of free space shared between two hard drives (2.5 GB and 8 GB).
    Ok. We're going to have to change tactics now. Your old '98 beast isn't going to be of any help unfortunately.

Do you have access to another computer running Windows XP?

EDIT://
    If you don't, then you will need to purchase a new hard disk drive.
    We'll need to get you up and running w/ the new hard disk drive on your Dell computer then work on recovering your data from the failed hard drive w/ the same computer.
  • edited January 2007
    I have access to one running Windows 2000 on it at work which I can bring home.
    edited January 2007
    I have access to one running Windows 2000 on it at work which I can bring home.
    Ahhh. Ok. Good! While you're at work, b4 shutting that Win2K system down, check the FREE SPACE on the HDD partitions. Make sure there is enough Free Space to hold ALL of your data off of the failed drive C from your Dell.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for the patience and help! I will try that tomorrow at work and get back to you.
    G'nite.
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the patience and help! I will try that tomorrow at work and get back to you...G'nite.
    You're certainly welcome. See ya then! :wave:
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the patience and help! I will try that tomorrow at work and get back to you.
    G'nite.
    What was the outcome of this situation?