Please help installing windows xp from scratch on desktop

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I'm trying to install Windows XP operating system (from scratch) on a dell desktop. I keep getting the following error msg during the installation setup:

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c/windows/system/lzexpand.dll. The data has been lost.
This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

I ignored this msg before, and managed to get through the installation but the computer was EXTREMELY slow (even though it has dual xeon 3.6 with 3 gigs of ram)

I purchased a new hard-drive and am trying to reinstall, but get the same error msg... does anyone have any idea what is wrong with this computer?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    check your memory first. If you think it's not the hard drive, then the next step might be a faulty motherboard or power supply.

The message was accurate: "Error may be caused by failure of hardware...." I am pretty confident that this is a hardware issue.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    kis0o wrote:
    I'm trying to install Windows XP operating system (from scratch) on a dell desktop. I keep getting the following error msg during the installation setup:
    "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c/windows/system/lzexpand.dll. The data has been lost.
    This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
    I ignored this msg before, and managed to get through the installation but the computer was EXTREMELY slow (even though it has dual xeon 3.6 with 3 gigs of ram)
    I purchased a new hard-drive and am trying to reinstall, but get the same error msg... does anyone have any idea what is wrong with this computer?
    Hello kis0o. Welcome to Short Media!

PrimeSuspect's right on the mark. Do you know how to test your memory?
    If not, please, go HERE and download MEMTEST86
    You will need to create a bootable CD w/ the ISO file that you download.
    If you don't know how to do this, just post back here and we'll step you through it.
    Once you get the memory test running, let it run for at least 8 hours or until it starts generating errors.

Just post back here to keep us apprised of your progress or w/ any questions you might have.