Need help. Will not post

edited February 2007 in Hardware
I'm helping my friend build a computer but after I set everything up it either freezes at the first page or freezes in bios within 30 seconds or less. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Any help would be great, thanks.

Specs (in case you were wondering):

thermaltake tr2 500w
abit at8 32x socket 939
san diego 3700+
sapphire x1600pro
sony 16x dvd-rom
corsair value select 1gb (2x512)

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    I'm helping my friend build a computer but after I set everything up it either freezes at the first page or freezes in bios within 30 seconds or less. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Any help would be great, thanks.
    Specs (in case you were wondering):
    thermaltake tr2 500w
    abit at8 32x socket 939
    san diego 3700+
    sapphire x1600pro
    sony 16x dvd-rom
    corsair value select 1gb (2x512)

Hi xxkkangxx
    You've probably seen us make this recommendations to others....
    • Pull the motherboard, etc. out of the case and place it on an ESD mat or a piece of card board.
    • Reseat all the components that are plugged into the motherboard (RAM, CPU, etc.)
    • Remove/disconnect any devices that are not needed for the system to boot (expansion cards, etc.)
    • Leave only video, keyboard, & mouse connected
    • Trouble-shoot it from there for now 'till you get it booting.
    • You may find that, after you remove it from the case, it boots up ok. If that happens, then there was a short between the case and the motherboard. Let us know and we'll guide you through properly installing the motherboard to avoid shorting.
  • edited January 2007
    I will be pulling everything out and putting it on a piece of card board as you suggested in a couple of hours. Also I forgot to mention that I get alot of cold boots as well (only get dark screen) and once in a while it while give a high pitch sound and will say that it does not detect my keyboard and my A: drive. I btw don't have a floppy drive.
    edited January 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    I will be pulling everything out and putting it on a piece of card board as you suggested in a couple of hours. Also I forgot to mention that I get alot of cold boots as well (only get dark screen) and once in a while it while give a high pitch sound and will say that it does not detect my keyboard and my A: drive. I btw don't have a floppy drive.
    By "cold boots" do you mean spontaneous rebooting? This is when the system will reboot for no apparent reason.

The high pitched sound may be emanating from your power supply. Do you have another PSU you can use?

I recommend you swap out the PSU b4 proceeding at this point.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    If you are having a high pitched whine, you either have bad capacitors, or are about to have bad capacitors.
  • edited January 2007
    I took the mobo out of the case. I have the gpu installed (since the mobo doesn't have onboard video) as well as the ram, but other than that nothing else is connected.

I replaced the PSU with a really old PSU that I used in a comp around 4-5 years ago. I have it in bios right now(for the past 10 minutes) and there hasn't been any freeze ups or anything of that kind yet. Though the first 2 times I booted it up and had it in bios it shut down in a minute or so. Should I connect the mobo to the new PSU that I was using earlier just to check? Thanks for the help. :)
    edited January 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    ...I took the mobo out of the case. I have the gpu installed (since the mobo doesn't have onboard video) as well as the ram, but other than that nothing else is connected...
    Perfect! :thumbsup: Now let's get down to brass tacks and see what's goin' on...
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    ...I replaced the PSU with a really old PSU that I used in a comp around 4-5 years ago. I have it in bios right now(for the past 10 minutes) and there hasn't been any freeze ups or anything of that kind yet...
    • Good!
    • Check the voltage levels while you're in there.
    • Verify that they're fairly stead and w/in 5% tolerance.
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    ...Though the first 2 times I booted it up and had it in bios it shut down in a minute or so...
    • If it's shutting down, your CPU could be over heating.
    • Double-check your CPU HSA (heat sink assembly).
    • Did you apply heat sink compound (thermal paste) between the heat sink and the CPU?
    • Also, make sure the heat sink is firmly placed atop the CPU.
    • It should not be loose at all.
    • Make sure it's fan appears to be spinning at full RPMs, too.
    • After you've done all this, check the BIOS for CPU temp and fan RPMs.
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    ...Should I connect the mobo to the new PSU that I was using earlier just to check?...
    • I don't trust your new PSU because of the whining sound you were hearing.
    • That sound is characteristic of a failing PSU.
    • It could potentially cause further damage.
    • At the very least, if it is in fact failing, it's output is very likely noisy (not clean) and possibly out of tolerance which will cause your computer to behave unpredictably.
    • If your current PSU works properly and supplies sufficient load capacity, I'd stay w/ it for now.
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    ...Thanks for the help... :)
    You're certainly welcome! :smiles:
    You can test your new PSU while your're working on the new computer
    1. Grab one or two old HDDs (that you don't mind sacrificing if something goes wrong) and connect them to the new PSU (to give it a load).
    2. Place them & the new PSU on another sheet of cardboard which is near a power source.
    3. Next, jumper (short) the power & ground pins (green & black wires) together on the connector that plugs into the motherboard.
      • This will allow the PSU to be switched on w/out being connected to a motherboard.
      • This is called "jump starting" your power supply.
      • You can use a paper clip to do this.
      • HERE is an online demonstration w/ pics.
      • The makeshift jumper must remain in place for as long as you wish the power supply to remain on.
      • (You can even purchase connectors for just this purpose (starting a PSU w/out a motherboard.))
      • Once you've rigged a jumper, please, proceed to the next step.
    4. Set the rocker switch at the back of the PSU to 0 (off)
    5. Plug the PSU into a power source (outlet)
    6. Set the rocker switch at the back of the PSU to 1 (on)
    7. Place your hand on each of the HDDs (their cases (metal part), avoid touching their PCBs on the bottom)
    8. You should be able to feel them spinning.
    9. Let it run for a long while (While you're in the same room to monitor it! IOW. DO NOT leave it running unattended!)
    10. Listen for any unusual sounds, smells, or a return of the high pitched whining sound you heard before.
  • edited February 2007
    I've had the HDD hooked up to the jumped psu for a couple minutes now. I don't hear/smell anything unusual. I'll keep it plugged in for a bit longer.

EDIT

I think i've had it on for close to 10 minutes. No problems or unusual activity. Should I leave it on for longer?
    edited February 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    I've had the HDD hooked up to the jumped psu for a couple minutes now. I don't hear/smell anything unusual. I'll keep it plugged in for a bit longer...EDIT...I think i've had it on for close to 10 minutes. No problems or unusual activity. Should I leave it on for longer?
    • I would, yes.
    • ONLY if you're in the same room w/ it, though.
    • The issue could be heat-related in which case it would need time to heat up b4 starting to fail (or make that noise again).
    • The HDD should provide it w/ sufficient load.
    • Just leave it running while you're working w/ the rest of the computer (in the SAME room).
    How's that going, BTW? (working w/ the motherboard, etc. out of the case.)

EDIT://
    • Are you using your computer's primary HDD to test the PSU???
    • I don't recommend you do this.
    • I recommend you use an old HDD from another system - one that you don't care if it gets fried or not.
  • edited February 2007
    Okay will do. The HDD is an old seagate that I had in a defunct machine. I'm not entirely sure that the old PSU that I am using in the new one's place is sufficient as I keep getting random shutdowns.

Btw, this has only happened once or twice, but sometimes it goes to a black page where it has the name of the BIOS at the top. The first line after that says cannot detect keyboard? And then it says searching for A: then says it failed to find A drive. Thanks again.
    edited February 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    Okay will do. The HDD is an old Seagate that I had in a defunct machine. I'm not entirely sure that the old PSU that I am using in the new one's place is sufficient as I keep getting random shutdowns.

BTW, this has only happened once or twice, but sometimes it goes to a black page where it has the name of the BIOS at the top. The first line after that says cannot detect keyboard? And then it says searching for A: then says it failed to find A drive. Thanks again.
    • So you're still having similar issues.
    • Do you have the motherboard out of the case now?
    • If you don't, please, go ahead and do that.
    • Once you do this, disconnect everything that is not essential.
    • IOW, leave connected only the keyboard, mouse, monitor, HDD, & CDROM drive.
    • Remove any other expansion cards that might be plugged in.
    • If you're using a video adapter, remove it and use the on-board video instead. (This will help to reduce power consumption, too since you have a lower wattage PSU connected right now)
    • If you have more than (1) memory module, leave only (1) connected.

EDIT://
    I re-read the thread and I see that you have the motherboard out of the case, etc. and that you've no on-board video so you're having to use a video adapter.

Is this a high end video adapter? (one that will require a lot of horse power to run?) It should be OK, I think as long as you're not revving it up.

Just in case, though, how many watts is that old PSU you have plugged in?

Please, go HERE and download BartPE 3.1.10a EDIT: Please, skip this recommendation. See post # 16 instead.

Create a boot-able CD w/ the ISO image file.
    If you don't have a utility to create boot-able CDs from an ISO file, please, go HERE and download BurnCDCC - a free ISO utility.
  • edited February 2007
    The gpu is a x1600pro from ati. In the end the only thing I could take out was a memory module.

lol I didn't know because I didn't bother to check earlier but the psu is 250w.

I'll get on the BartPE.
    edited February 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    The gpu is a x1600pro from ati. In the end the only thing I could take out was a memory module...lol I didn't know because I didn't bother to check earlier but the psu is 250w. I'll get on the BartPE.
    Gads! 250? hmmmmm... Well, how long has the other one been burning in now?

Might want to go ahead and install the newer higher wattage PSU.
    Keep an eye on it w/ frequent checks in the BIOS of the voltage levels, though.
  • edited February 2007
    I didn't notice this before but I just booted it up and on the page that lists your attached drives during boot up, at the very bottom it says cmos checksum error. I thought you got checksum error listing when your board battery got old?
    edited February 2007
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    I didn't notice this before but I just booted it up and on the page that lists your attached drives during boot up, at the very bottom it says cmos checksum error. I thought you got checksum error listing when your board battery got old?
    • hmmmmm.... do you have your motherboard manual handy?
    • If you do, look up how to reset the BIOS and do that.
    • If that doesn't work, change the battery.
    • If the motherboard was shorted to the case, it could concievably have drained the battery.
    • (Even so, I feel like we're chasing our tails here.... )
    • If that doesn't work, download your motherboard's latest BIOS update and flash the BIOS.
    • I'm a little edgey about that though because your system is so unstable.
    • Trouble-is, sometimes a BIOS flash can fix an unstable system - a kind of catch 22
    • So, be sure to backup your BIOS B4 you flash it!
    • Go to the motherboard's web site and see if you can find an updated list of the recommended RAM for that board.
    • Is the manufacturer of your system's RAM in the list?

(BTW, if you need help w/ any of these steps just let us know, ok?)
    edited February 2007
    I apologize, xxkkangxx. I ask you to download BartPE builder (post # 11). Temporary loss of sanity I'm afraid. :rolleyes2

Instead, please, download UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and create a bootable CD w/ it.
    • Create a bootable CD w/ the ISO image file.
    • If you don't have an utility to create bootable CDs from an ISO file, please, go HERE and download BurnCDCC - a free ISO utility...
    edited February 2007
    While you're at it, xxkkangxx, please, go HERE and download MEMTEST86

You'll need to create a boot-able CD w/ it as well.